Use of Climbing Gear for Non Climbing Purposes

Dru

David_Parker said:

sketchfest said:

Wore crampons while mowing the lawn to help aerate

I thought about that, but never tried it. How did it work?

It actually worked pretty well not to mention that my front yard is kinda steep in spots so it really helps keep me from slipping underneath the mower. You do have to stamp your feet to get any real penetration, but all that did was draw extra long stares from the neighbors who already think I'm a freak.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sketchfest said:

Wore crampons while mowing the lawn to help aerate

It actually worked pretty well not to mention that my front yard is kinda steep in spots so it really helps keep me from slipping underneath the mower. You do have to stamp your feet to get any real penetration, but all that did was draw extra long stares from the neighbors who already think I'm a freak.

and a dork. and now i do too. the_finger.gif

I rear-ended a truck with my car. To pull the body (front end) back into shape I tied my climbing rope to the workbench and the car. then backed the car up several times till I had the front end pulled back to shape.

Also, used the same rope with some pulleys as an engine hoist.

Used the same rope to tie up a particularly annoying friend of my son. Then tied up my son to keep him from squealing to the kid's mom. Then used the rope to tie up the kid's mom. smileysex5.gif

Several times to check raptor nests in trees with no limbs near the ground. Tie fishing line to weight, sling-shot over limb. Tie to rope and haul up. Anchor and jumar. Also standard rap and jumar in to vertical caves for bats.

Once used rope to pull a horse out of a ditch in Patagonia.

My bed for the last several months has been my crash pad.

Used a nut tool for as a spoon and as a dull knife camping.

Biners to open beers.

Ice axe as a hammer to hang picture, a chopper to split a power bar during the winter and to open beers.

Static line to tow a car to my mechanic and to haul beams in a house my dad was working on.

Rope, slings and biners have been handy in the bedroom, none of that autostranglation shit though. I don't think that ones for me.

Cut and old rope and made some dog leashes.

Harness, rope, shovel and crampons to clear 30" of snow off the vacation cabin in Sandpoint.

Ice tools and crampons for tree limbing and branch removal.

Truck and static line for "gardening projects" (fahq'n Russian olive trees). madgo_ron.gif

Static line for towing.

And of course, slings and biners in the boudoire. But that was nly in college. We've got more expensive toyz now. cool.gif

I was wishing I had an ice hammer to pound some turkey breast fillets for a roulade. I had to settle for a nalgene water bottle - not nearly as effective, took lots and lots of pounding and still couldn't really get them flat. That nalgene does make a good rolling pin though.

This one guy I knew was trying to use a static line pull out a stump in his yard. He dug down and around the stump and cut as many of the roots he could reach. Then anchored the rope to the stump and truck. The part of the stump that he attached the rope to gave way as he was pulling and hit the top of his cab and put a huge dent in it. 6 inches lower and that dent would have been in his skull. shocked.gif

In college as a pledge with a fraternity, we pulled a prank on another fraternity. The fraternity house had a steep roof that faced out onto the main street of campus. During the early morning hours a few friends and I climbed up the outside chimney (sandstone), heal hooked up over the roof to gain access. I belayed up my other pledge brothers. We had a rolling painter, a bucket of paint, a dynamic rope, and a paint roller bin. One guy got on the opposite side of the roof to act as an anchor while keeping me locked off, the other guy stayed tied to the chimney and held the paint roller bin, and I was in charge of painting. Since the roof was steep (approx. 50 degrees) I had my climbing shoes on. We had to be quiet as there were members of their fraternity asleep in the house. I proceeded to paint 6 ft. tall letters to spell out "See Rock City". If you've ever been in the South, especially Tennessee, you will know what this means. The other fraternity was less than pleased when they woke up the next morning. grin.gif

ryland_moore said:

... I proceeded to paint 6 ft. tall letters to spell out "See Rock City". If you've ever been in the South, especially Tennessee, you will know what this means...

I don't know if I understand the reference to Rock City, but it certainly brings to mind the following famous movie line...

"This river don' go ta Aintry. Now you git them panties down 'round them ankles, Boy" smileysex5.gif

In 1977 I was building grain bins in eastern Montana with a friend and one of my brothers. We had just finished one 8-8 and were 3/4 done with a second 8-8 when we looked out over the prairie and saw a huge storm headed our way. We figured we had about 1 hour before it hit. We scrambled around the bin setting stakes with rebar about six feet deep. After we had about a dozen 600 psi wires strung back and forth we tied my 9m climbing rope to the anchor of an adjoining bin and strung it over the bin and down to our 28K gross truck loaded with steel panels. We stretched the rop out and got out to watch. The first gust from the storm was about 35mph. It lifted the bin up about four feet in the air with the 600psi wires snapping and pinging and zinging all over the place. After all those had given way, the 9m rope stretched to it's max and finally snapped at a bend in the bin. The bin raised anothe four feet and smashed into the bin behind it. We salvaged about half of each and made one bin. The 9m rope was confiscated by the Missoula police department during a protest of oil and gas drilling leases in the Bob Marshall wilderness. It had been strung over Broadway to support a large tree hugger banner.