UW ROCK BUILDERS

Dave_Schuldt

Looking for pictures taken during construction and of the finished product. I would like some pics to help people see what an outdoor climbing wall could look like. Also would like pics of other outdoor climbing structures. The city is provding space under I5 in the new park to be built there in the Eastake area. They are not providing any $$$ for this so we are looking for help with design and $$$. If anyone out there was involved in the building or knows who was please PM me. I would like to talk to them.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kiwi said:

I didn't realise it was open. I'll make sure to take pics tonight. (Get belay checked)

Construcion pics

And WTF?! It isn't free! $3 daily pass and $5 belay check?! madgo_ron.gif

Are those prices for UWers of for the general public. 'Cause that's way cheaper than venereal world and probably lots of hotty co-eds running around too. shocked.gif

Peter_Puget said:

Now that the IMA indoor structure is available.....and there are always complaints about the lack of parking....anyone else come to the conclusion that someone will propose the demolition of the UW Rock?

FUCK NO!!!! THE OUTDOOR ROCK IS FREE AND IS GREAT FOR LAPS. AS FOR PARKING JUST RIDE YOUR BIKE. Is the new indoor one open to the public?

It's illegal for the UW to compete with businesses like SG and VW. It figures, right - UW IMA goes and builds the nicest indoor gym in town using your taxes, then knocks the other climbing gyms out of business...

The argument that the UW rock is free and great for everybody actually argues for its demolition, from the UW standpoint, I think. Ever seen those little signs that say this facility is for students, faculty and staff only? But, demolishing it would make space for about 10-20 cars. It's not going to happen. If the idea ever comes up for real then everybody has to go builder like crazy on campus - that's why the UW rock was originally created, to get rid of the builderers.

Dave_Schuldt said:

Looking for pictures taken during construction and of the finished product. I would like some pics to help people see what an outdoor climbing wall could look like. Also would like pics of other outdoor climbing structures. The city is provding space under I5 in the new park to be built there in the Eastake area. They are not providing any $$$ for this so we are looking for help with design and $$$. If anyone out there was involved in the building or knows who was please PM me. I would like to talk to them.

I have Wolfe & Hopkins's book, which names the architect for the UW and includes some details about the construction.

I'll post the architect's name when I get a chance. As for the construction, I believe that they essentially made large, sand-bottomed moulds on the ground, placed rocks in the sand, poured in the concrete, placed more rocks on the other side, then waited for the slabs to cure and tilted them into place on the site.

"It's illegal for the UW to compete with businesses like SG and VW. It figures, right - UW IMA goes and builds the nicest indoor gym in town using your taxes, then knocks the other climbing gyms out of business..."

How were these projects funded?

From student fees. In May of 1998 the Services and Activities (S&A) Fee Committee approved a $35 per student per quarter fee to fund improvements to Recreational Sports Programs facilities. The projects include expansion of the IMA, construction of a synthetic turf, night-lighted, multi-activity sports field, and renovation of the Golf Driving Range. Collection of the fee will not begin until Winter Quarter 2003.

quote from http://depts.washington.edu/ima/IMA.remodel.html

fleblebleb said:

It's illegal for the UW to compete with businesses like SG and VW. It figures, right - UW IMA goes and builds the nicest indoor gym in town using your taxes, then knocks the other climbing gyms out of business...

I guess UW competes with Bally's and 24 Fitness too, huh?

before you all call UW's new place the best gym around you may want to take a look. I was in there last week, while the walls are the best I have seen the place is really small. The whole place is smaller than VWs small TR room.

if you think the other gyms get packed just you wait.

I designed and built the picnic shelter at smith rocks and have helped build all four of the vertical world gyms(existing and old). I am also a liccensed architect. I might be willing to donate some of my time to design this. Let me know how things are progressing.

Kiwi said:

fleblebleb said:

I guess UW competes with Bally's and 24 Fitness too, huh?

Not to mention the Husky sports teams competing with the local pro teams, UW drama productions competing with the Rep, ACT, and so on. It's a scandal -- someone PM Newstips!