South Buttress of Denali

erewhon

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Isn't the South Buttress a really long climb? Only a few parties have done it? If this is the one, then I know some folks who contemplated doing it this season that wqe met up on Denali this past spring, but after talking to the first ascent party, they decided to bail on it and do the W. Butt. I think they said it took the first ascent party something like 40+ days? If this is the route, then let me know and I can put you in contact with the folks.

Two friends of mine did the complete s. buttress a few years ago (’96?), 28 days IIRC from the ruth to kahiltna base. sounds like the best part was being so acclimatized by the time they got across Thayer basin that summit day was an easy stroll. The worst part was the triple carries up the lotsa face, well basically all the load carrying. My impression is that neither of them would contemplate doing another route in this style. PM me if you want contact info.

• 10 months later...

Which Wayne? WW?

Anybody got beta on the 1954 route ie pic's of different parts/obstacles? Particularly on the Lotsa Face.

Planning to give her a go next season and need all the info available. Strange how little is available on this route!

Thanks!

Hello , I was on it in 88 . I was guiding folks there we came in from the Ruth and went to the head of the valley and up some wall I called the Gharwall( to keep with the Himal theme) It was a pain then {2 sections of 80 dgree ice)I dont know what global warm has done to it. Then up the Lhotse face whick was fierce hard boiler plate but not to steep. We got turned back by a snow pit we dug at peak 15,000 so I know nothin of the upper part excpt its goes on forever. I believe there is an article in one of the recent mags on the 1st asc and they took a weird way that hasnt been repeated I believe. It took my buddy scott Wollums 10 or so tries to do the S butt and every party I hear from did the Japanese ramp to do it.(which I know nothing about.

the route is Himal size and prolly longer than anything I have seen up there. Maybe pick something else?Or heck go for it and if you dont make it your still in great climbing areas

Never been much for climbing simply for the summit, just was taken back by the few photos Ive seen and have been drawn to it ever since. Joe check your PM's Id love to get some beta if possible. Geeze it looks like an easy afternoon of skinning!