Attention snowboarders---I need advice!

Ultradonkey

Is anyone out there thinking about how they are going to get out of their bindings if (when) hit by an avalanche?

I have heard about something called 'rip cords' that are supposed to allow you to release your freesyle bindings

quick. Does anyone use them? Who makes them?

This season I am seriously looking at the Bomber plate bindings (trench digger) because I want to use my ski boots on my boards.

The drawback is that it looks like it would be really tough to get out of the things if you were in a big hurry.

Bomber also makes a step in version that only works with board hard boots. There is a pull cord at the top of the boot

for releasing. Has anyone rigged this with 'rip cords'? Are Bombers even any good?

All advice will be appreciated.

confused.gif

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ultradonkey said:

Is anyone out there thinking about how they are going to get out of their bindings if (when) hit by an avalanche?

I have heard about something called 'rip cords' that are supposed to allow you to release your freesyle bindings

This season I am seriously looking at the Bomber plate bindings (trench digger) because I want to use my ski boots on my boards.

The drawback is that it looks like it would be really tough to get out of the things if you were in a big hurry.

Bomber also makes a step in version that only works with board hard boots. There is a pull cord at the top of the boot

for releasing. Has anyone rigged this with 'rip cords'? Are Bombers even any good?

confused.gif

what's wrong with you? get the bindings you think they will work well. but if you're thinking you'll be going into avalanche zone and count on surviving one think again!!

my advice is- if you're thinking you can get cought in an avalache- don't go there. shit happens so fast, you won't even have time to get your board off your feet. it's like trying to wrestle with a train- you can't win!

I believe K2 Clickers work the best. As mentioned before, being avy savvy will go much further than just having gear to help you out if it does happen. That being said, releasing your board is great if you can cause they are huge anchors in a slide. Just don't let "releasable" bindings convince you it's ok to make turns in an area you wouldn't be in otherwise. cheers and happy turns!

The purpose of my post is not to try and find out some way to 'cheat' and avalanche or give myself a false sense of security. Virtually everything we ski in the backcountry is potentially dangerous. No matter how good you think you are at stability analysis there is always a chance of being hit anyway, something that should be on everyones mind. The only safe slopes for skiers are ones that have no snow on them. In addition to transciever, probe, and shovel, skiers take their straps off. I want to know what snowboarders do about their bindings---thats it.

Ultra, it's the K2 clicker then. the bishop, while a great binding will be difficult to use as a releasable since (unless you are really good in the shop) the pull is at the top of the boot, while with the K2 you can have a strap that is basically flat on the board. A couple of my friends ride this setup, including our local avy guru, but it only works if the boots fit your feet.

If you want some gear that will help you in an avalanche get a avalung. Other than that, the name of the game is ride the avy out. If shit breaks, point it until you stop, then look back. if you fuck around and try to pop your bindings, you wil waste time and get buried. If you are really serious about backcountry riding, and are still fixed on the releasable bindings, get a split board. Last year I had a burton splitty pro-dealed, as they were not designed for the cascades it is a love/hate relationsip (mostly love though) due to over complicated technology and ice build-up. But, the bindings do release quite easily from the board. PM me if you want more info.

If you decide to go with the step in bindings than make sure and fork out the extra cash for the highbacks. They will make your bindings ride more like strap ins which is really what you want. I say stick with the straps and in case of an avy you either ride it out or when your "swimming" if you pick up your feet behind you than it will reduce the anchor effect. They strapins give you a way better ride.

glassgowkiss said:

Ultradonkey said:

confused.gif

what's wrong with you? get the bindings you think they will work well. but if you're thinking you'll be going into avalanche zone and count on surviving one think again!!

my advice is- if you're thinking you can get cought in an avalache- don't go there. shit happens so fast, you won't even have time to get your board off your feet. it's like trying to wrestle with a train- you can't win!

Bullshit, backcountry skiers with releasable bindings are more likely to "swim" to the surface of avalanches. Even large ones. The big Revelstoke avalanche last year exemplified that. Of those caught, the survivors were wearing releasables.

Of course you shouldn't go where you "think" you'll get caught, but the best skiing is IN avalanche terrain, a priori.

Donkey-

I'm not sure glasgowkiss is suggesting that you intend to cheat or ignore the forces of nature. I think he makes a good point, however, and it is one that I first encountered here on cc.com.

In avalanche courses and in magazine articles we frequently here a lot about how to survive avalanches by using beacons and avalungs and so on, but we see relatively little disussion of the fact that if you get completely buried in an avalanche, your chances of being dug up alive are very small.

If you think I'm being paternalistic or obnoxious, ignore this post. But I'll repeat myself several times more before the season is out because I think this is an important idea worth serious thought. Meanwhile, check into the rip cords and practice using the beacon.

E-rock said:Bullshit, backcountry skiers with releasable bindings are more likely to "swim" to the surface of avalanches. Even large ones. The big Revelstoke avalanche last year exemplified that. Of those caught, the survivors were wearing releasables.

Whatever the truth of the swimming argument - your much less likely to die of trauma with releasables (there's a really grim picture in the handbook of a person pretzel (nonreleasable tele bindings).

Matt & Galasgow are on the right track. Spend the effort learning about slides - not gear fetishing.