Cascade Alpine Journal?

Lowell_Skoog

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that something in print would be far preferable to something online. Websites end, computers crash - I want a set of booklets in my closet that I can refer to in 20 years.

So, if a Cascade Alpine Journal were created, would we just stop submitting Cascades stuff to the AAJ? I think this would be fine as long as the longevity of the new journal is assured.

erik said:

i dont think page count would be an issue. tho would it be jounalistic based? can one sumbit stories, short fiction or other climbing related works?

I think the stories would be great! THere are plenty of times when FAs aren't that impressive from a standalone climbing perspective, but the the whole story, as presented on here, makes it a very fun read. I'm also not sure if enough stuff happens in this area alone to have it just read like a boring play-by-play writeup. Just my 2 cents.

Colin said:

I agree that something in print would be far preferable to something online. Websites end, computers crash - I want a set of booklets in my closet that I can refer to in 20 years.

So, if a Cascade Alpine Journal were created, would we just stop submitting Cascades stuff to the AAJ? I think this would be fine as long as the longevity of the new journal is assured.

I don't see any reason not to participate in the AAJ, but given that the AAJ won't accept anything under Grade 4 there's probably quite a bit being done that's not covered. A Dead Tree copy eventually - first you have to figure out what to print, and for this I'd suggest a steering commitee, but NOT one affiliated with a major organisation. The Mountaineers/Mazamas, et al have their own journals, and I fail to see why they'd commit the resources/time to another - and the AAC already has their own journal (even if it's diverging from the path of the membership)

Why not form a new club? Clubs are nothing more than a group of people who decide to bond for a common purpose. The Pan-PNW Climber's Society or something or other...

JoshK said:

I think the stories would be great! THere are plenty of times when FAs aren't that impressive from a standalone climbing perspective, but the the whole story, as presented on here, makes it a very fun read. I'm also not sure if enough stuff happens in this area alone to have it just read like a boring play-by-play writeup. Just my 2 cents.

This is starting to sound alot like Ascent (hopefully the Cascade Alpine Journal has a more regular publication schedule!)

...just quoting figures. and the way to get this thing off the ground financially would be to build strong relationships with the commercial interests in climbing...

for example, the CEO of Trango, founding member of the Access Fund. CEO of Cascade Designs, leader of the OIA. industry teaming to promote climbing issues is the way to spin this.

Why does everything have to have spin? Beck you seem hell bent on involving these big companies that you name drop all the time thinking that is the way to do it. Read Lowell's post, this has nothing to do with access issues, it has to do with documenting climbing achievements around here. By bringing in sponsors or partners, especially big industry, you have expectations. Not saying you can't limited amount of advertising or whatever but you don't NEED to have this to make something successful. CC.com went for 2 and 1/2 year without any support (and so did Rope Up). It was a lot of work and a lot of money, but it's been worth it.

I think cc.com should be involved in this, and I'm not saying this because I started the site or trying to toot my own horn beckstyly. Would there even be this discussion (like this) if it weren't for this place? How hard would it be to gather all this information for something like this without cc.com? Would the majority of people even know about these ascents if there wasn't stories about them here? Not saying this would be an impossible task without cc.com but it would be much harder to solicite for stories and reports without it.

For the reason's I stated earlier this should be done online unless somebody wants to front a whole lot of money and not expect any kind of return on it, essentially play money like the Redhat dude. There isn't anything about the web, especially a PDF, that would prohibit anybody from getting a copy. Old crusty hardman who has never heard of the internet can ask junior to print a copy for him. If things work out then you can think about the next step and print something.

Start simple, then progress as resources allow....not the other way around. yelrotflmao.gif

I like the idea of something like an annual or perhaps bi-annual "Ascent"esque alpine journal for the PNW with a bit more emphasis on route documentation.

To answer Lowell's question, I'd certainly be willing to contribute in whatever fashion I could, which could very well be licking envelopes or something just as cerebral...

slothrop said:

Folks interested in helping produce this thing should get together in person to talk about it. How about Pub Club tonight? If Lowell can be there (since he started the thread), we should try to have some discussion about it tonight.

That's a good idea. Unfortunately, I can't make it to the pub club tonight. I might be able to come next week. Don't let that stop you from talking about it though, and feel free to post suggestions here. I'd like to get this started and find a way to keep it going. But I don't think I, or any other individual, should "own" it. It should be something the community keeps alive. I'd like to work with an organization like the Mountaineers or AAC, which have published climbing reports for years (but have fallen off in regional reporting lately) to help publish something like this.

I'd like to thank the people who have sent me private messages about this topic. There's a lot of interest in making this happen and several people have offered to help. I'll be responding to every private message individually, but not right now. (I'm logged in at work at the moment.)

Just to jump on the bandwagon, I think this is a great idea. I love those old Mountaineers Annuals from the 30s, where you could get a snapshot of the whole PNW climbing community in a single volume. In addition to new route reports, I think some regular sections would be cool. Such as:

A Challenge

Like washburn used to do in the AAJ, a couple of cool aerial views of a major unclimbed line or face, accompanied by an article describing the feature and the history of attempts. The recent thread about Mox peak is the kind of thing you might have.

Accidents/Safety

I think it would be very cool to have something about local incidents. Maybe one first-hand account of self rescue accompanied by an annual summary put together by someone involved in SAR?

As for the production, people with graphic design and small-run printing experience are not hard to find these days. I think B&W printing on good quality paper would be a good compromise for quality/cost – that’s why the Elaho guides feel so nice.

forrest_m said:

Just to jump on the bandwagon, I think this is a great idea. I love those old Mountaineers Annuals from the 30s, where you could get a snapshot of the whole PNW climbing community in a single volume. In addition to new route reports, I think some regular sections would be cool. Such as:

A Challenge

Like washburn used to do in the AAJ, a couple of cool aerial views of a major unclimbed line or face, accompanied by an article describing the feature and the history of attempts. The recent thread about Mox peak is the kind of thing you might have.

Accidents/Safety

I think it would be very cool to have something about local incidents. Maybe one first-hand account of self rescue accompanied by an annual summary put together by someone involved in SAR?

As for the production, people with graphic design and small-run printing experience are not hard to find these days. I think B&W printing on good quality paper would be a good compromise for quality/cost – that’s why the Elaho guides feel so nice.

My main interest is in the stories. Photos are nice too but they usually don't convey the flavor of an outing.

Yes yes, I know , you are a visual kind of guy. That is a really cool shot of a mountain and I would hate to be deprived of pics like that. But I'm talking about the people who climb them and their idiosyncrasies. Take you for instance, Dru the enigma. Great pics, bountiful posts and rumours of exploits in the mountains. How would a picture capture your dubious intrigue?