I Wanna Be a Lean, Explosive, Taj Mahal of Muscle

Peter_Puget

The more lean body mass you have, the more calories you can burn per workout. Strength training is one of the most effective ways of increasing lean body mass.

Ahhhh...wrestling...my personal weight loss record is losing 8 pounds in 4 hours by riding a stationary bike in a sauna while wearing a rubber suit. Those were the good old days...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"reasonable amount" in 60 days depends on how much you have to lose. 1-2 pounds a week is considered a safe rate of loss (i.e. you won't destroy lean and it won't be all water weight) so if you have it to lose, you can expect to lose roughly 8-10 pounds, realistically, depending again on where you're starting from and how much you're willing to tweak your diet. If you stop strength training, you're going to compound the problem, as that's what contributes to the lean, metabolically active tissue. Don't forget interval training!! BUT you might want to tweak your strength training and go more for reps in the 15-20 range with very short rest intervals (as in a circuit) so that you get strength AND aerobic benefits at once. Sometimes that does the trick; if you're already doing that, then going to the opposite extreme and training more for raw strength (i.e. in the 3-6 reps range with more rest) might do wonders combined with interval training. If what you're doing now isn't working, you gotta CHANGE IT.

• 2 weeks later...
Figger_Eight said:

The more lean body mass you have, the more calories you can burn per workout. Strength training is one of the most effective ways of increasing lean body mass.

Ahhhh...wrestling...my personal weight loss record is losing 8 pounds in 4 hours by riding a stationary bike in a sauna while wearing a rubber suit. Those were the good old days...

wresterlers are worse than anorexics tongue.gif

Figger_Eight said:Ahhhh...wrestling...my personal weight loss record is losing 8 pounds in 4 hours by riding a stationary bike in a sauna while wearing a rubber suit. Those were the good old days...

Anyone ever done a study on how water loss / rapid weight loss effects performance of wrestlers?

I can tell you from experience, that "sucking weight" really ... sucks!

When I was a senior, we had a state champion wrestling varsity in my weight class of 141 and so I decided to cut to 135 mainly because I could easily thrash the varsity guy at that weight class. I cut and cut and starved and got to where I could see every little (and I mean little) muscle in my body and "challenged" the 135lb starter. I was so weak that he whipped my ass and nearly pinned me. So, I wrestled 141 JV for the rest of the season. I think that if I would have stayed at 135, I would have improved as my body adjusted, but it was too miserable to maintain that weight. thumbs_down.gif

Mt. biking twice a week, hiking/ bushwacking up hill twice a week, climbing as much as humanly possible.

The combination fo biking and strenous hiking on your leg muscles is a combination that is hard to rival. Climbing will take care of tone, and upper body.

Eat as well as possible to remain healthy, and there is the winning perscription. bigdrink.gif

cracked said:

My personal program will be to sit at my desk, do homework, and eat a lot of Ben & Jerry's, HCL.gif and cheeburga_ron.gif . Time to go for those 'Sophomore 30'! cry.gif

I did the "Freshman 45". I think my caloric intake was around 7000 a day. cheeburga_ron.gif