I Wanna Be a Lean, Explosive, Taj Mahal of Muscle

Peter_Puget

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Peter_Puget said:

but I am old and fat. Anyone want to share with me their workout schemes for winter?

I spend the winter on the tred mill, and climbing one night a week. I do yoga and I just started lifting one day a week. I am in the best shape of my life. Include all that trask said as well fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifgrin.gif

First thing you need to figure out is what you want to accomplish, like improving on a weakness. Then you have to set some goals. I'm spending the next four months increasing my leg strength with weights. My goal is to get my squat to 400. Heading into March of next year I want to be about 10 to 13 pounds lighter then I am right now. Because I'm lifting I need to make sure I'm eating enough to get maximal muscle gain so I am only maintaining my weight until December when I stop weights and start working on aerobic capacity.

One thing I'll say that I never see said anywhere, and while this is a personal opinion of mine I think it is rather important and overlooked. I would not head into the weight room with little to no aerobic development in the areas you are planning on lifting on. I have become a proponent of maximal amount of gain for the least amount of work. There are certain training techniques and muscle development and recovery tricks that can cut your training in at least half, and I think having an aerobic base is one of the key foundations to a lifting program. To put it cryptically what is the point of lifting if you can't deliver oxygen and nutrients to those tissues.

Muffy_The_Wanker_Sprayer said:

Peter_Puget said:

but I am old and fat. Anyone want to share with me their workout schemes for winter?

I spend the winter on the tred mill, and climbing one night a week. I do yoga and I just started lifting one day a week. I am in the best shape of my life. Include all that trask said as well fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gifgrin.gif

Told you about that weightlifting thing, didn't i?!?!

I finaly started because of the trainer we have at the gym here. SHE IS SO AWSOME. I want to look like her when I am a grown up. And the most amazing thing to me is she is the most posative person I have ever met. She always has TONS of energy, and a nice word for EVERY ONE. I realy think that energy leval and attitude realy corilate to a persons healthyness... mind body and spirit fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif

Peter_Puget said:

I lift throughout the year. I'll probably start another cycle of John Long's The Workout From Hell this Fall in order to be tapering in midwinter. Maybe a variant of TWFH that includes the lower body. It's very hard, but it works.

Here's an online copy of John Long's article: http://www.immortal.net.au/climbing/resources/training/workout_from_hell.html

michael_layton said:

eat better and exercise

sounds too uncomplicated. frown.gif

If you are wanting to burn fat, Peter, it really is that simple. Pick up an exercise bike (suggest second hand) or running shoes and heart rate monitor. The heart rate monitor is critical. Try to work up to at least 3 hours per week in either running, cycling or swimming, but, you really need to have the heart rate monitor to make sure you are working hard enough yet not too hard. I have had pretty good results running in a hilly area keeping my heart rate fluctuating from 70%-90% of max.

Take a look at Courtney's site too, she's probably got a program just for this purpose.

Like Jon said, once you get a good base of fitness and lose superflous fat, you can build on it. But that's where I'd start.

And deadlift, lots of deadlifts. thumbs_up.gif

Peter, check out some of the program ideas we have on Body Results, and then get your butt into gear with off-season strength and interval training: here are a few places to start:

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2FartlekIntervals.asp

http://www.bodyresults.com/E2SMARTgoals.asp and of course http://www.bodyresults.com/s1climb.asp will lead you to off-season, pre-season, and other programs. Key like Jon said is to figure out what your goals are -- where were you weakest this year? What do you wish you could do better or differently? Then figure out what is missing in your program and start putting that as a high priority. Intervals will help with fat burning, and don't forget DIET -- as the daylight hours get shorter and we start to hybernate, slow down, do less, eat more (your pick, or all of the above) it is CRUCIAL that you not take in more than you're using or you will continue to gain weight. Consider picking up something like snowshoeing or skiing to have an interim goal so you keep going to the mountains and staying active, that will make it much easier to start at a higher level come spring than you did the previous year.

Peter_Puget said:

wrestlers have best idea for loosing weight

train wearing sweats and longjohns and then the training attire...start at 3pm eat a banana drink glass of water.

run for 3 hours wearing all the above duds.

exercise bike/rowing machine/stairmaster for hour or so

drink another glass of water.

i always heard they could drop a few weight classes in a short afternoon

light healthy dinner and repeat the next day.

just suk it up really and get out on the road bike.

it works! bigdrink.gif

wrestlers also sometimes wear trash bags underneath sweat suits and work out right before "weigh-in" to drop "water weight". You can imagine how healthful a practice that is...

hellno3d.gif

I climb at Stoned Gardens during the winter. I find that climbing (even when its on plastic) is one of the few forms of exercise that I really enjoy and therefore one that is easy for me to stick with. Damn. I ended a sentence with a preposition.

There are other nice forms of exercise too: fruit.gif , smileysex5.gif, snaf.gif <- he looks like he is lifting a medicine ball

I'm young and ripped but have had to work for it. Try doubling up on work outs, running then weights or bike ride then hike. Most importantly try to find a cross training activity that you enjoy, skiing or mtn biking have worked for me. Hardest thing to do is to drink less beer and make the shift to the hard liquor. I work out twice a week going hard and eat whatever I want. Thank god you don't put on weight smoking, long live the leaf. wink.gif

Alpinfox said:

wrestlers also sometimes wear trash bags underneath sweat suits and work out right before "weigh-in" to drop "water weight". You can imagine how healthful a practice that is...

We'd also sleep in sweats with plastic bags over them, under a heating blanket... You can drop about 10% of your body weight in 24 hours if you really put your mind to it. Of course, it's all water weight and dehydrating the piss out of yourself hardly made wrestling down a weight worth it.

It did build the mind, however. Suffering breeds determination...

I hate working out with nothing to show for it. There's always dirt that needs digging, firewood that needs chopping/stacking, rocks that need moving, boards that need planing, sawing, etc... My mortgage got me into great shape!

-t

More than once I spent a four-hour bus ride to a wrestling meet sucking on hard candy and spitting into a drink cup to make weight. And I could never figure out why I got those terrible cramps in my arms during the matches!

Bronco recommended an exercise bike: if you can ride one of those regularly, you have my respect -- they're excruciatingly boring! Around here you can bicycle outside all winter long, and a second-hand bicycle, if you don't have one, is probably no more expensive than a second-hand exercise bike.

As I get older, I do find myself packing on the layers around the midriff over the winter, and it gets harder and harder to work 'em off in the summer.