How to prepare Eggplant!

erik

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eggplant Parmesan is a very time consuming dish to create, but with a full day and a lotta love, it's the perfect cool weather main course:

2-3 large eggplants

Tomato sauce (I make mine from scratch, or at the very least from canned tomatoes, if you used the stuff from a jar, be sure to simmer it for a couple hours because all store bought sauce is undercooked)

1 block FRESH parmesan (the Argentinian stuff is just as good at the Italian and much cheaper)

Mozerella Cheese

Peel eggplant and slice into very thin slices, as thin as you can get. I like to go parallel to long axis of eggplant but some peeps go perpendicular.

Remember: As THIN as you can!

Rinse and lightly salt the eggplant and let it sit (maybe an hour). This removes the bitter flavor. Rinse eggplant after letting it sit.

Prepare three large plates, one with flour, one with egg (beaten), and one with bread crumbs. You are going to use much more of all three of these than you expect so have extra handy.

Dip each slice of moist eggplant in flour and coat it. Then dip in egg (egg will NOT stick without flour), then dip in bread crumbs. Fry eggplant in a mixture of extra-virgin olive oil and vegetable oil (to increase cooking temp and save olive oil). Fry until golden brown. Get the biggest iron skillet you can for this, then get a another one (speeds things up).

Set each piece of eggplant aside on a large plate after frying.

When finsished frying all eggplant, put some sauce in the bottom of a large, deep pyrex cooking dish. then layer some eggplat on top of this (one thin layer, on slice deep), now another layer of sauce, grated parmesan, and a LITTLE mozzerella. Add the next layer of eggplant perpenicular to the grain of the previous layer (like you would with lasagna). Continue eggplant, sauce, cheese layering until dish is full, bake at 350, take a nap.

As with all good cooking, the key is seasoning. The better seasoned the breadcrumbs and most importantly the SAUCE are, the better the dish will be.

Enjoy

Edited by E-rock

Sphinx said:

Erik, you some kinda freak? Don't know how to cook 'n stuff? You need to find a wife. Baby Jesus! rolleyes.gifmoon.gif

hey smary guy i am experimenting. you know, like trying new things and shit. stfu!!!

and anyways, i plan on being the domestic one anyways!!!