Sweet granite in Renton!

There’s a sweet 5.9 granite handcrack in Renton. I saw some exposed rock near an elementary school and that tipped me off to the multi pitch crag beyond the fence. The best climb is a two pitch handcrack kind of like Classic Crack in Leavenworth. Someone had already established this and about three other similar climbs in the area. I’ve done it everyday that it’s been dry, since I live nearby, and I want to be the first to solo it. I can’t believe there’s such good granite on the Westside!

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Directions

From 405 North, take the Maple Valley exit. Take a first right. Take right at 4th stoplight up large hill. Take left at 2nd stoplight. Turn left at Fairwood Elementary sign. Park in the school lot. Hike to end of baseball field. On the left side you will see exposed granite once over the fenceline. This is the top of the crag. To access the bottom of the crag hike downhill until you are near the stream at the bottom of the ravine. Hike back uphill and trending right and you will be at the base. There are three established climbs, the crack is in the center, a decent offwidth is on the left and there is an unfinished fingercrack on the right. I’ll probably see you guys down there as I’m there all the time.

since some of you have had trouble finding it, heres an easier way. go just past the school and park on the bend. theres a trail in the bushes that winds down into the ravine. follow it down a ways and look for it on your left. good luck

I don't mean to be a smartass but if you've found granite in Renton you need to get in touch with the USGS. From what I know of the area I'm suspecting you're climbing on glacial till which would roughly be the equivalent of climbing on rotten concrete with a lot of cobbles in it. If it stands up to repeated use, then more power to you and it. I'm anxious to see it.

Terry

quote:

Originally posted by projecthex:
There’s a sweet 5.9 granite handcrack in Renton. I saw some exposed rock near an elementary school and that tipped me off to the multi pitch crag beyond the fence. The best climb is a two pitch handcrack kind of like Classic Crack in Leavenworth. Someone had already established this and about three other similar climbs in the area. I’ve done it everyday that it’s been dry, since I live nearby, and I want to be the first to solo it. I can’t believe there’s such good granite on the Westside!

i soloed it last year [Moon]

hey smartass, im suspecting youre not playing with a full deck. I wouldnt be climbing it if it was some sort of chossy conglomerate. thanks for the warning though. rolleyes.gif" border="0

I wasn't sure I wanted to tell ya'll about another area to climb near Renton but here it goes. On the backroad {May Valley Road} between Renton and Issaquah is a cute little crag. It is near the Wilderness Peak tralhead. If you are coming from Renton go about a half mile past the parking area for Wilderness peak and look off to your left. On the right {South} is a rock quarry and on the North is the crag. There is a small pulloff with room for 2 or 3 cars. There are 2 routes (5.5?}and some bouldering off to one side.

My friend and I named it the Quickie cause it's quick and easy. wink.gif" border="0

• 4 months later...

I have looked around in the area for the fairwood crag but could not find anything except for dirt cliffs is this a rumor or does this really exsist of so could you please post more detailed directions starting from the school or the trail winding down into the ravine

Monkeyboy Fun piece of rock. That crag was popular in the early 80s till the owner started chasing people off. You can park out of sight of the owner by driving north a few hundred feet around the bend in the road and parking on the same side. I have no idea if the same guy still owns it.

Like progra29, I've twice looked for the Fairwood "sweet" Renton granite and have found nothing but dirt, bugs and nettle. If this was all a joke, you've got me big time. (Luckily I've only gone when I've had soccer games nearby.)

If this isn't a joke: please clarify the directions if you want anyone else to find it! (If not, well done. [Frown] ) I tried both the ballfield approach and the "park at the bend" trail, even made it down to the creek/bridge, and looked all over. The only hint of some rock was on the north side of the ravine, through a cut barbed wire fence down a faint trail/bushwhack slope -- not at all what the directions describe. Certainly no exposed granite visible from the ball field fenceline!

Michael (feeling like a sucker...)

I looked, too. I even PM'd him for clarification...no reply. There is a granite boulder (3' diameter) in the area. Maybe Hex is a shrimp and it's just a matter of perspective.

At least it was a cool place for a walk, even if my gf did keep telling me it was obviously a hoax.

And it gave us an excuse to stop by and see Jimi while we were in the hood!

[ 07-17-2002, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Thinker ]

My in laws have lived about 300 yards from the school for the last 20 years. My father in law called BS on this one.

As for new crags in Renton, there is a cliff I've always wanted to check out.

It is part of a quarry near the Empire Estates Apartments. If you are driving on I405 near southcenter, when you are near that family fun center, look up the hill towards the skyway area. There is a huge quarry that features several bands of different rock types. the lower terraces are still being actively quarried but the upper levels look like they have been dormant for years. I'm sure the bouldering/ climbing would be of low quality, but if you lived in the area.....

Anybody checked this out before?

[Eek!]

Yes, I guess congratulations are in order.

What are some other climbiing legends that have sent us to the far reaches of the state in search of Coronado's Lost city of Aztec gold?

As a teenager at spire rock I heard legend of a secret Cascade hot springs that was accessed from the top of Index' s Upper town wall. Supposedly, after you had finished toppinng out, you could stash your gear and the hot springs was no more than an hour or two hike. After topping out, I have run into motor bikers up there. That would be the way to scout. Imagine topping out and then soaking in some secret hot springs as you watch the sunset over Mt. Index. No this is not a troll. [big Drink]

• 1 year later...