Immortality

scrambler

They don't grow them like that in the Pacific Northwest:

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?

Answer: “I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever.”

-- Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You gotta distinguish between, "I don't get any older, but if you cut me, I bleed, and I can starve to death or get fried by radiation or whatever" immortality and the full on "Nothing in the world can harm or damage me in any way, I don't need air to breathe, food to eat, or water to drink, I do not age, I never die" type of godlike immortality. I'd prefer the latter but will take the former. Geek_em8.gif Now what to do with the other two wishes?

I'll definitely be ready to check out at 85, if I live that long. Who wants to deal with this fucked up world for another 40-50 years?

The economist and professor, Julian Simon (now deceased), had a different vision of the future and many of his predictions materialized. He has this to say about the future:

"Resources come out of people's minds more than out of the ground or air," says Simon. "Minds matter economically as much as or more than hands or mouths. Human beings create more than they use, on average. It had to be so, or we would be an extinct species."

The defect of the Malthusian models, superficially plausible but invariably wrong, is that they leave the human mind out of the equation. "These models simply do not comprehend key elements of people - the imaginative and creative."

As for the future, "This is my long-run forecast in brief," says Simon. "The material conditions of life will continue to get better for most people, in most countries, most of the time, indefinitely. Within a century or two, all nations and most of humanity will be at or above today's Western living standards.

"I also speculate, however, that many people will continue to think and say that the conditions of life are getting worse."

scrambler said:

They don't grow them like that in the Pacific Northwest:

Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?

Answer: “I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever.”

-- George Bush in the 1994 Miss USA contest

W in 2008!

Ducknut said:

This is definitely a question for Muffy. But Tom Robbins would say that ..........Pan has the answer. smileysex5.gifsmileysex5.gif

it's simple realy, I will stay here as long as I am having fun, and then I will move on to the next adventure fruit.gifit is about how you breath, bathing, and having lots of sex with the person you realy care about it. (acording to the bandalope) wink.gif

sisu_suomi said:

Bull shit, we get recycled. We never leave. The fucking Hindu have this much right. cheeburga_ron.gif

Chrisianity was a recycle your soul religion until Justinian had teh pope assasinated and installed a pope who spewed a more Roman view of things. Theodora was his lovely wife who may have had a strangle hold on his dick and designs on her own immortality. Most likely, it was she who was the evil genius behind the radical shifts in social norms of that time.

Anyway, I would not want to live forever in this body. No. Not Pamela Anderson's either. Just give me 135 years in this one and I will be ready for the next phase. That gives me about 96 years to go which is about how long I predict it will take for the new global society to stabalize.

History will call us primitive globalists.