Beginner AT gear?

Attitude

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scarpa Denali = NOT a beginner boot

I say this because is is a very stiff boot with TOO MUCH control. wazzup.gif A beginner will not do well in a boot that is too sensitive to every slight move, twist, turn, shift of weight, etc.

Don't make the assumption that a stiffer boot is better for everyone, otherwise all boots would be stiff.

Also the Lazer will tour better. The Denali does not tour as well (too stiff).

bigdrink.gif

adventuregal said:

I read this thread but never really got a concise answer... Is skiing on AT gear much different (downhill) than skiing on regular alpine gear??

The actual skiing is the same. The equipment isn't as durable for jumping/jibbing, etc. and won't have the same control as race boots. FWIW people now use Freerides (an AT binding) on Alpine Skis with Alpine Boots.

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adventuregal said:

I read this thread but never really got a concise answer... Is skiing on AT gear much different (downhill) than skiing on regular alpine gear??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The actual skiing is the same. The equipment isn't as durable for jumping/jibbing, etc. and won't have the same control as race boots. FWIW people now use Freerides (an AT binding) on Alpine Skis with Alpine Boots.

I agree. It is the same in many ways the same, but you always rob Peter to pay Paul.

I ski lifts with mine from time to time and have no problems, though I can tell when the gear is at its limits, and its limits are less than that of good downhill gear. I recently upgraded the skis and think that with a pair of the Scarpa Denalis I can step up the performance. wave.gif

I don't think the bindings are a problems at all ... the problem is that the boots must be able to tour/skate and go down hill.

The Denali is the best (or certainly one of the best) at the steep downhill stuff. But it doesn't tour as well. It is a classic case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Touring and sking are two very different things, almost opposite. It is impossible to have a boot that Tours perfrectly and skis pefectly. If it skis beter it will worse at touring. cantfocus.gif

iain said:

I think my left foot cant or something is messed too, since I can ski down on one ski no prob with the right but the left starts wandering all over.

Sound like you definitely have a canting issue. The solution usually starts with having a good boot bed for your AT/Alpine boots. If your feet aren't flat in a boot then how can you expect to keep a proper ski edge. If that doesn't help then you might have to change the base of your boot some. My pa-in-law had 5 degrees ground off the bottom of his Alpine boots to get his leg straight. Some of the best boot fitters I know of are up in O'Canada. "Snowcovers" and I am not getting any kickbacks for this shameless ad. They are in Vancouver and Whistler(Next to the IGA) bigdrink.gif

I have both AT and Alpine boots and ski's. I agree with going with used alpine ski's for AT gear. You will tear them up quickly. I also use my AT boots(Scarpa Tomba) when I go alpine with my daughters.

BTW, the freshies are coming. There was snow in Montana at Big Sky on one of the webcams. hahaha.gif

-Mike

Edited by mbcracken

• 1 month later...

Yeah, thanks all, this is a good thread thumbs_up.gif. I was wondering some of the very things addressed here. I tried unsuccessfully to do a search on Tua skis, seems someone's screen name is Tua.

I grew up on Colorado snow and literally got my ass handed to me up at Baker when I moved here. I would like to try the AT setup though. Good luck to the beginner learning to ski in this liquid cement "Cascade glop". Maybe those curved skis help.

Apparently Tua skis went out of business so Bent Gate Mountaineering and a couple other online stores have them for sale ~ $330, fyi. Those are the super-light skis, I think the Hydrogens weighed in at 1260g/ski at 178cm. Wildsnow.com has some good reading on the Dynafit system.

iain said:

There are a lot of good skiers out there but few can patiently articulate exactly what you need to do. You could probably get by w/o the lesson, but I would bet it helps out a lot

Its funny, I have no problem introducing someone to climbimg (although I'm a newbie myself) but I wouldn't teach my best friend how to ski. It is just so painly boring to go that slow. If you are a descent skier and you try to teach someone that has never skied before, you probably aren't going to have any fun. I am not near patient enough to do that. Better to pay for a lesson from someone who doesn't mind not skiing anything for themselves.

Not directing this statement to anyone but if you are new to skiing, don't be surprise if your awesome climbing/awesome skier best friend who was very patient with you when you were learning to climb wants no part of teaching you to ski. Get a lesson and ski with other beginners.

Dustin_B said:Not directing this statement to anyone but if you are new to skiing, don't be surprise if your awesome climbing/awesome skier best friend who was very patient with you when you were learning to climb wants no part of teaching you to ski. Get a lesson and ski with other beginners.

The only thing worse than trying to teach a good friend how to ski is teaching a signifigant other how to ski. It's a recipe for disaster.

Yeah, thanks, I'm trying to get all of my ducks in a row for this. I'm doing a Pro Deal, but I do it through their publicist because my PD is Media, and I don't want to take up a ton of this guy's time with all of my dumb questions. He does ski, though, and I figured I'd just give hime the dimensions of the skis I already bought and he can get the brake width and skin size right from that.

The reason I was asking about the brakes has to do with the cost of the Freerides vs. the Diamir 3s. The 3s don't come with brakes, so the cost is basically the same if you add in the brakes.

cj001f said:

Dustin_B said:Not directing this statement to anyone but if you are new to skiing, don't be surprise if your awesome climbing/awesome skier best friend who was very patient with you when you were learning to climb wants no part of teaching you to ski. Get a lesson and ski with other beginners.

The only thing worse than trying to teach a good friend how to ski is teaching a signifigant other how to ski. It's a recipe for disaster.

I'm thinking of checking out back country skiing this winter (using AT gear not tele). I used to be a pretty good skier (could get down most CA black diamonds fine with the occasional wipeout). I ended up switching to snowboarding but am not interested in snowshoeing behind the crowd nor a split board. Is there much about skiing technique in the back country that is totally different than in bounds? Do I need to take a lesson again?

probably the best skill you can have for backcountry is a good hop turn that gets your skis out of the crud or breakable crust. I still need to work on this. Being able to get down breakable crust with some grace is the mark of a trully good skier, esp. when the consequences of a wipeout are bad.

ehmmic-

the snow you will encounter in the backcountry is a completely different animal from what you area used to after skiing in ski areas. When it is deep, it is often bottomless rather than the more common eight (or even sixteen) inches over a hard base on a good day at the ski hill. When it is hard, it is often ice rather than some kind of "packed powder." And then there are a myriad variations of breakable crust, slush, slop, refrozen avalanche debris, bombed out woods, .....

Be prepared for some new experiences, but I would think you can head for the hills and probably have a decent time without thinking you need ski lessons all over again.

ehmmic said:

I'm thinking of checking out back country skiing this winter (using AT gear not tele). I used to be a pretty good skier (could get down most CA black diamonds fine with the occasional wipeout). I ended up switching to snowboarding but am not interested in snowshoeing behind the crowd nor a split board. Is there much about skiing technique in the back country that is totally different than in bounds? Do I need to take a lesson again?

MASTER the kick turn, it may safe your ass...

iain said:

probably the best skill you can have for backcountry is a good hop turn that gets your skis out of the crud or breakable crust. I still need to work on this. Being able to get down breakable crust with some grace is the mark of a trully good skier, esp. when the consequences of a wipeout are bad.

That's hilarious. I just had someone tell me that thirty seasons of lift-serviced skiing was not going to put me ahead of the curve for AT skiing.

I got the distinct impression that the brutal finesse that is the hop turn, and defying the evil breakable crust was going to be meaningless.