Shuksan Route Conditions?

mtnovak

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was hiking Goat Peak, across from the N. face of Shuksan, on Saturday, and let me tell you, there was not much snow at all. You'd have to do some scrambling from the saddle at the base of the face to get onto the ice below the face. The scramble you'd be above some cliff bands, which could be exciting.

There was also a spot higher on the face where there was no snow at all.

Have fun!!

I haven't seen it lately, nor have I done the climb at this time of year, but what Necro describes sounds just about like what I saw in my buddy's pictures taken on his late September or early October climb about ten years ago. He was pleased to have found what he described as "real ice climbing," and said the climb was not only worthwhile, but "pretty good" even though it looked like a dirty mess in his pictures. He was a strong technical climber, on both rock and ice, without a lot of alpine experience. I gathered that in his opinion bad rock and trashy scrambling was not too much of an issue, but you should know that perhaps he's tougher than some climbers because he didn't mention anything about the bushwack at all (I don't think it is that bad, but some people come away to report "I'd never do THAT again").

Last Sat/Sun Colin and I climbed the Price Glacier by moonlight. We did not do the direct start. It looked dangerous. And difficult. And foolhardy.

We shuffled over 200' of rock under Nooksack Tower, and stayed on ice the rest of the way. Routefinding was easer than expected, though the glacier is pretty broken. The part that worried us most was the final bergschrund, which appeared to be a 50' overhanging wall barricading the top-out, but once up there we found a ramp leading from the lefthand prow of the wall rightward with relative ease. There was evidence of new snow from precip earlier in the week, though it had largely consolidated by that time. The ice was good, not too rotten.

Our descent was, um, wrong. To start, it began to rain at 4:00 am as we crested the route. Then we took one too many right turns going down, and ended up going down the hanging glacier to the right of the Curtis glacier and didn't realize it 'til we got to the hanging part (PONCHO&LEFTY's picture shows it I believe). We found a choss gully to bypass the hanging glacier and went down another small glacier & slabs, which were OK, but of course we ended up in the wrong valley, so we were relegated to 6 hours of the very finest of wet Cascade bushwhacking to make it out to the new ski lodge, and then a hitchhike to the Lake Ann trailhead.

A very interesting first Shuksan experience for me! I'll have to do it again sometime though to tag the summit...

-Dan

Quite an experience for your first time on Shuksan. I still need to get back and do that route after dropping a #$*(# crampon in a crevasse last November while trying it in *perfect* conditions.

Does anybody actually do the "direct" start? At least from what I remember, you'd be crazy to try. The thing constantly calves and is entirely broken. I thought Necro was joking about a "direct" start but is it done?

Sorry, I should have clarified. I *have* heard of people going straight up from the lake in winter or early spring conditions. From pics and reports I've seen it's less steep with snow on it then when the ice fall is fully exposed. Sounds like it's nice and dangerous anyway tho... hellno3d.gif