South - North Enchantment Traverse

Kyle_Flick

Steve Tift, John Plotz and I only partially completed an enchanting traverse of the peaks in the Enchantments this past weekend. There's much more to do. We made a commitment of no alpine starts on this trip which resulted in us not climbing everything we had planned. Nevertheless, a wonderful trip that we'd highly recommend to anyone interested. We came up the south side of the Enchantments via Crystal Creek, and climbed Pennant Peak, but had to skip the Flagpole due to time constraints (2nd failed attempt on my part) and ascended the south face of Little Annapurna as the sun was getting low on the horizon. The next day we moved north and climbed the South Face of Prusik, but ran out of time for Box Top and High Priest. Instead, that evening we continued the traverse northeast to Toketie Lake. On Sunday Steve and John couldn't find the Firey/McCarthy route on Toketie Wall, but climbed two pitches of 5.9 that veered up and left of the prow before retreating. I scrambled up and cairned a nifty walkoff route back to Toketie Lake from the top of the wall. An area worthy of more exploration. The descent down Toketie to the Snow Lake trail is now easier to find than years prior due to use since the '94 fire. Other than Prusik Peak, we had the area to ourselves. The larches were just beginning to change color. There was some new snow on the north side of Prusik.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha Ha, an Enchantments enchainment. How catchy!

OK, Kyle, so was that your guys' gear stashed on and in the rocks of upper Crystal Creek on Friday afternoon? I was descending from Crystal Lake around 5:00PM and came upon a green sleeping bag airing out on a rock and sundry other climbing paraphenalia tucked here and there. I wondered where these people were. I figured they were climbing something technical nearby. If it was you, then you may have been up near The Flagpole at this time. From time to time I heard voices but could never pinpoint their source. This occurred while I was descending from the north side of McClellan Ridge and again while I was on Little Annapurna and, I think, again while I was in the upper Crystal Creek drainage. If you were on The Flagpole in the 3:00-5:00PM timeframe, then this might explain it. However, when I looked down at The Flagpole from LA, I did not see anyone. I thought they were voices in my head or snafflehounds or both.