Lynx in the Oregon cascades?

billcoe

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a biologist told me you guys are out to lunch, the lynx does not come south of the boreal forest in general, you are seeing big bobcats boxing_smiley.gif

i did see a lynx myself once but it was up near Dawson Creek. damn thing was nearly the size of the deer it was chasing.

Wow, just read Bill Coe's response. I probably shouldn't even bother with this shit, but what the hell. I'm bored.

First of all, the situation in Oregon is that the Forest Service DID find DNA evidence of lynx, with the help of Dr. John Weaver, in the Willamette, Mt. Hood and Deschutes National Forests, as I had reported earlier.

Lynx story

Second, the Forest Service then backpeddled and claimed that a second lab analysis produced inconclusive results, and, therefore treated the initial data as unreliable. I also gave you this information in my initial post.

Third, ONRC's letter is not intended to educate the public about the evidence. They sent the letter to the FS requesting certain management actions based on this new information. It would seem redundant indeed for them to simply regurgitate the data back to the Forest Service.

Finally, Bill, you "wondered" if ONRC was "zelously" using "this rumor" to simply put a stop to timber harvest. You had already concluded the Lynx sightings were nothing more than unsubstantiated rumor without knowing. In fact, the Forest Service did get evidence of lynx but then questioned the validity of that data. Translate your words any way you want, but you are putting out some awfully suspect conclusions and/or suspicions.

Now you have the facts. Chill out.

bigdrink.gif

Dru said:

a biologist told me you guys are out to lunch, the lynx does not come south of the boreal forest in general, you are seeing big bobcats boxing_smiley.gif

i did see a lynx myself once but it was up near Dawson Creek. damn thing was nearly the size of the deer it was chasing.

On a completely unrelated but lighter note, a friend of mine back in 95 told me that a black bear destroyed his Bug (VW) up in the Cougar Hot springs parking lot. Naturally I called Bullshit, but he whipped out photos of his car getting totaled by a medium sized bear. They were awesome pics.

Dru said:

Agreed!!!

I have seen many accounts of very large Bob cats (the hips reaching approx. 18-20in), that could be mistaken for Lynx, but just Bob cats in my perception

The two can inter breed, and maybe the DNA evidence was just some lone stray pet lynx havin a gay ol time mountin up on the Betties out in the mt hood area...

I saw a bobcat with a red collar and a bell at about 7000 ft. in the krumholtz at Cooper spur. I was coming down to our camp after climbing Sunshine.

I remember hearing a jingle, which my brain just discarded as "No Way there's a jingle bell up here". I heard it again and looked around and there it was, just sitting on a rock. I turned to call someone else and when I turned back, he was gone. This was back in '01. I believe someone had lost their pet. Someone told me they saw some "lost bobcat" signs in Govy, but I never found a number to call.

I've also seen a half grown cougar on the Cooper spur road near the logging down low.

That's a critter rich area. Too bad it'll all be bunny slope in a few years. Bobcats, cougars, and bears, oh my.

Mtguide and I saw an Elk's track on the Pinnacle Ridge trail just last Sunday. Deer track too. I've seen a couple of bears on Mt Hood, but my only cougar sighting was along the Washougal River out toward Three Corner Rock. It's great having big critters around. David Quammen only gives 'em another 150 years or so in his new book..

• 5 weeks later...