Lynx in the Oregon cascades?

billcoe

The have been reports of Lynx in the Oregon cascades. (No these evidently aren't Canadian Lynx dudes wandering lost). That area includes the Mt Hood National Forest.

Anybody every see one of these? Every heard of anybody seeing one of these? I'm wondering if the ONRC may have zealosly started this rumor to stop the cutting of public forest land?

Just curious?BTW: what do you think the odds of entire area closures are due to a Lynx management plan? (think Peregrines here)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once while night riding on the Wildwood trail, I scared up what I assumed was a large bobcat. Maybe a little less than knee-high with those ear tuffs and big fuzzy feet. He ran along in front of me for a block or so, frozen in my headlamp beam until he jumped off the trail. Then he was outtathere!

There are some recent records of them in the North Cascades, particularly in the Okanogon. But unless you are are very skilled and experience observer it's impossible to tell the two apart in the field. The best characteristic is the striping on the tail, which is hard to see.

I don't frequent the Mt Hood area to have any recollection of seeing them, but south of Jefferson and north of Thielsen on the western side, particularly the foot hills, I have seen many accounts of very large Bob cats (the hips reaching approx. 18-20in), that could be mistaken for Lynx, but just Bob cats in my perception. Also there is a genetic trait for coyotes for extreamly large dogs, up the Marcola valley(males reach approx. 75-80lbs), and also western wolverines have been spotted in the Oregon cascades. although much smaller than the verity that reside to the north, they are still a cool create to observe in the wild. the have even been sighted as far south as grants pass, and as low elevations as the Coburg hills(350-600ft.)...

I was out on the forest with the wildlife bio from the Barlow and Hood River Ranger Districts last week talking about these issues. He says that there are no confirmed accounts of lynx on the Mt. Hood or Willamette National Forests in decades. They have set some hair traps and thought they got one but then reran the DNA tests with inconclusive results. I don't know if this information is accurate.

There are many more credible reports of lynx in the Wallowas.

On an interesting side note, the FS did get a confirmed wolverine track in the Mt. Hood last year. Very cool news, as that animal is almost impossible to find.

BTW, Bill Coe those accusations about ONRC are complete bull shit. Now whose starting rumors. Are you on the pay role for the timber companies?

Edited by Winter

Winter said:

On an interesting side note, the FS did get a confirmed wolverine track in the Mt. Hood last year. Very cool news, as that animal is almost impossible to find.

I've seen three in the hills coburg hills. a mother and two cubs, if thats what you call baby wolverines? I watched them cross an opening at about fifty yards, through binos... I was baffled as to what exactly they were at first, until further research. The ground was to dry to establish its tracks, but I got a damn good look at them.

Its a good idea to report these sightings to either ODFW and/or the Forest Service. Forest carnivores - fishers, marten, wolverines, and lynx - are pretty rare around these parts and any information is good info for the agencies to have. If you happen to see any girzzlies or wolves in on the Mt. Hood maybe you want to speak up about that to. grin.gif

I was a little leary about disclosing any locations. cause we have had some problems in the past... the people of the coburg hills are not the most outgoing on revealing protected species on their land, and I have to respect the land owners wishes, and the people that live in the area. I could lie on the location, but I would have to tell them it was some where, and all the land out there is private proporty... Its a touchy subject for us, and not one I'm willing fuck with so that the forest service can have a little research.

Winter said:

BTW, Bill Coe those accusations about ONRC are complete bull shit. Now whose starting rumors. Are you on the pay role for the timber companies?

Now don't go getting crazy dude: I'm just pulling out some facts. I don't work for the FS, in fact I'd rather see them downsized to the point where they have to leave me the

F***K alone. As far as accusations, don't know what you're talking about..... you mean this from the ONRC site?

http://www.onrc.org/programs/wforest/lynxletter.html

which reads in part...

"We are very excited about the rediscovery of the Canada lynx (Lynx canadensis) in

the Oregon Cascades. We are writing to urge you to take immediate active steps to

incorporate this new information into your management of federal forest lands....yada yada etc etc.

So, I don't know if you can read the writing on the wall here.... can you spell "snail darter" how about " Klamath chubb". Few things in the US are as predictable as citizens belief that all things big and furry should be protected, and I agree with that sediment too.

No need getting all cranky there, finsh yer beer and relax.

bigdrink.gif

Now have another one before you start calling me a fuckhead or something severe:

I'll buy this round.. bigdrink.gif

Regards:

Bill

(#1 FH 2 months running)

Hey Bill -

The BS part of your post is that ONRC is "starting rumors." Maybe they actually have a point and aren't just making shit up to screw with the FS. Perhaps they actually know more than you and I do and are out there forcing the agency to act on information that would otherwise fly under the public's radar. Hmmm ...

bigdrink.gif

Winter said:

Hey Bill -

The BS part of your post is that ONRC is "starting rumors." Maybe they actually have a point and aren't just making shit up to screw with the FS. Perhaps they actually know more than you and I do and are out there forcing the agency to act on information that would otherwise fly under the public's radar. Hmmm ...

bigdrink.gif

Winter: first of all, I didn't say they WERE "starting rumors" I said I WONDERED if they were starting rumors. " It is different.

If you go to their site, in the first sentence, they say: "We are very excited about the rediscovery of the Canada lynx (Lynx canadensis) in the Oregon Cascades." The last sentance is "Based on new information that lynx are present in the Oregon Cascades"

The jillion words between are all about the"action" they feel which need to be taken now blah blah blah blah blah blah. I didn't see any actual evidence in between the first and last sentence.

I have noticed previously, that in science, where actual facts are presented, there is ALWAYS citation of studies and research, perhaps even pictures, like with bigfoot. On the ONRC site there is nothing which supports the first line and last line I just referenced. It's apparently just Hyperbole. In between those sentences is just what needs to happen now, the actions which MUST follw based on the first sentence: like

"Existing Decisions Must be Withdrawn" (and a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done),

"We urge the region to undertake a systematic review" (and a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done),

"As part of its systematic review of projects the Forest Service may need..." (and a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done),

"NEPA Requirements Have Not Been Met." (and of course a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done),

"ESA (Endangered Species Act) Conferencing Has Not Been Completed" (and a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done),

"Sensitive Species Requirements Have Not Been Met." (and a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done),

"Sensitive species status triggers other requirements as well," (and a paragraph follows on actions which need to be done), "Forest Service Manual 2670.5 requires that new occurrences of sensitive species will be evaluated" (could you even imagine a paragraph following on actions which need to be done put in here?)

"Northwest Forest Plan Requirements For The Lynx Have Not Been Met" (and another paragraph follows on actions which need to be done)

You get that point? Not a web site to reference an actual fact. Not a name of a person who saw a lynx once. Not even the name of a person who knew a person who heard of a person who was in a bar and overhead.....not even the name or an instance of a person who may have seen one on TV.............see?

So, to reiterate, I'm not starting rumors. I wasn't showing up here to attact the ONRC, my brother is a member, he walks the walk and I have respect for a lot of what they do and believe going back to RARE 2 and Hatfield. I was just wondering where the facts are with my few words "I am wondering". You have forced me to expand them, certainly more than I would have thought or wanted to do when I showed up here wondering if anyone had seen any Lynx in the Cascades. Seems like if the ONRC had any facts they would have presented them, I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't bring the actual evidence forward. Perhaps you can enlighten us on what that reason must be. Or perhaps you can find some facts on the site, perhaps even just 1, as I more than likely I must have missed that 1 fact.

However, be aware that you have also not presented any facts. There are a lot of words on the ONRC site there. Lots. And they all relate to what we should do, HAVE to do: now that (re-read first line which appears to be all of the current facts anybody has presented.)

I showed up and asked the question just curious as to any FACTS (re-read my first post). You show up and personally attack me. ("BTW, Bill Coe those accusations about ONRC are complete bull shit. Now whose starting rumors. Are you on the pay role for the timber companies?") I'm very surprised you or anybody feel it was BS to even allude to the lack of evidence presented, and somehow asking if anybody who might have seen a Lynx makes me a what? A FS shill. Dude, you really don't know me.

Now do you want to talk Wolverines? I don't - you make me wish I hadn't posted at all. There was some BS here alright. But it didn't come from me. It was just a big waste of angry time, nothing was created, nothing was solved, nothing was learned, no facts were shared. Waste of time and bandwith. evils3d.gif

Greg: get real dude, they're magnificent animals, it's probably against the law to even say what you just said about shooting them so I'm gonna ignore it. mad.gif

fejas - thanks for sharing, that must have really been something. Dru: I think Iain has that one figgured out.

B

interesting suff, there bill. a mouthfull. once saw a cougar near packwood...man, they got long tails.

'bout ol'greg's comment...

Greg: get real dude, they're magnificent animals, it's probably against the law to even say what you just said about shooting them so I'm gonna ignore it.

almost sounds like the stuff - used to say 'bout his dog.

anyone got any photo of a lynx in the wild?

I saw a lynx in the smith rock parking lot. some guy had a baby one as a pet and it was in the back of a canopied truck. it made wierd noises and tried to get through the window to smell me. really cool looking animal but I can't imagine it makes a good pet, even if it were legal. probably starts ripping up the couches and peeing everywhere, eating the neighborhood cats.

Like something is bad about eating the neigbors pets?i WOULD PAY TO SLEEP AT NIGHTS FROM THAT LITTLE YAPPERS NIGHT RANTS!

Looking at the Lynx Page it seems there would need to be a good population of snow hares to support a lynx population. Those things would thrive in Marblemount or Glendoveer Golf of course.