Accident at Vantage

chris_rieman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO JIM GO! grin.gif" border="0 I haven't officially met you, I expected to climb with you two weeks ago at Vantage. I am hoping and willing with all my might that I get to meet you and climb with you in the future.

As someone who was there in the aftermath of Jim's fall...I wanted to say a few things.

#1 Kudos to Chad and other's who I don't know that reacted quickly when Jim fell. As someone who works pro ski patrol I know that a fast reaction and good care from the first responders makes all the difference.

#2 I was proud to see my fellow climbers react the way they did. People helped or got the hell out of the way. Nicely done! Thanks.

#3 For those of you who DO NOT have any first aid training please, please, please go get some training. And better yet, get a bunch of your friends to do it with you. Accidents happen in our beloved sport. Having trained people around may well save another life like it did Jim's.

Here are some links to courses. The go from intense (wilderness EMT) to mild (basic CPR and first aid)

Wilderness First Responder courses up thru WEMT

National Ski Patrol courses - Outdoor Emergency Care

King County Red Cross Classes

So, who the hell I am?? [Moon] My name is Terra, I work w/ Chad on ski patrol. I got to Vantage later than the guys did and was there to see Jim get back-boarded and loaded into the chopper.

quote:

Originally posted by ers72735:
but i do hope jim does feel better soon!!!!! and to his friends, family and the rest of the cyber world good luck and climb safe....

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: erik ]

Wow, that guy changed his tune right quick!

[Moon]

[ 03-04-2002: Message edited by: vegetablebelay ]

I read that odd (now vanished?) post and I think I got the idea of it. The writer seemed to be embarrassed by the potty mouth exclamations which are dropped so readily around here, and probably found it inappropriate, especially in relation to the accident posts.Mr. Blakely, for example, wrote:"Jim is a fucking rock...I know everyone on here flips each other shit from time to time but I really believe that everyone truly cares for everyone else and I would trust my life to just about anyone on this board. Fuck the critics..."

Say what you want to say, but s#$t and f$%k doesn't go over very well in a lot of places or with a lot of people. I ain't stoppin' you from expressing yourself that way, it's just an insight; just my hypothesis!

As for:"I would trust my life to just about anyone on this board.You are FAR more trusting than I, my friend!

shalom, Dwayner

When I saw the original post by ers72735 I checked his profile and saw "farmer" listed as occupation. So I assumed that the s of ers may stand for Shultz and that it could be the response of a close paternal relative of Jim's. So I felt that it was a rather valid comment coming from such a source.

quote:

Originally posted by tread tramp:
When I saw the original post by ers72735 I checked his profile and saw "farmer" listed as occupation. So I assumed that the s of ers may stand for Shultz and that it could be the response of a close paternal relative of Jim's. So I felt that it was a rather valid comment coming from such a source.

That's all well and good, but what was the point of him coming on here to badmouth somebody's language. People talk like that - maybe not out on the farm, but c'mon. rolleyes.gif" border="0

Can you idiots just shut the fuck up for once. Have a little tact.

I'm purposely being a little vague here because I'm not sure what info the family wants released.

Jim is in stable condition and improving. He is no longer on a ventilator or using a feeding tube, is fully conscious and fairly cognitive. He has been able to stand and sit in a chair but with some difficulty, basically he's having trouble exhurting himself. As with most injuries of this nature it is going to take some time for things to get back to normal. He has not been transfered yet, they are still assessing rehab options.

Please do your friends and family a favor and be safe while your out there and wear a brain bucket.

Jon

We're just about straying to spray here, folks. I've been checking the board daily for news about Jim, and find today that the posts have strayed ... well, I don't know where exactly we've strayed, but is there any news about Jim? I heard rumors that he was being tranferred to the UW, but then nothing.

Hover on sombrero!

quote:

Originally posted by galssuncog:
We're just about straying to spray here, folks.

what's so bad about that?
confused.gif" border="0rolleyes.gif" border="0

I've been checking the board daily for news about Jim, and find today that the posts have strayed ... well, I don't know where exactly we've strayed

but it has been a natural evolution

, but is there any news about Jim? I heard rumors that he was being tranferred to the UW, but then nothing.

Hover on sombrero!

[ 03-05-2002: Message edited by: Dru ]

Jim's little sister wanted us to post the following on her behalf:

quote:

>From the little sister:

Jim's moving to rehab in Seattle today--it's going to be a long haul, so keep thinking good thoughts for him. If I've ever known anybody who's strong enough to pull through something like this, it's Jim. Blakley, you're right. Jim is 'a fucking rock.' My thanks (and myfamily's) to Jon, Chad, Woods--and the rest of you who were out at Vantage with him. Hope someone is forwarding you the updates.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone is still reading this board, but just in case, Jim is now eating three meals a day, bitching about the food, and making record progress in rehab. Every part of his body is working on its own again (though not as fast as he'd like). So keep thinking good thoughts for him--I'm sure he's looking forward to his next trip to the gym already.