Accident at Vantage

chris_rieman

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to make this really quick because it's been a pretty long and stressful day, and just got home from the hospital.

The climber involved in the accident is my good friend and roommate. Jim is an experienced climber as many who know him can attest. It's not entirely clear what happened but he was either not properly tied in or his knot came undone somehow. He took about a 40 - 50 foot groundfall and rolled halfway down the hill at feathers. He wasn't wearing a helmet.

He's currently in a coma in critical but stable condition with his family at his side. Besides the severe head injury he broke his collor bone. It's basically just wait and see at this point.

Thanks to those who were there and aided in getting him out of there safely. Family and friends would appreciate that people don't call the hospital or go and try to visit him. Any individuals who were there at the accident or are friends send me an email and I will keep you up to date on his conditions as I find out.

Just got back from visiting with Jim and his family at the Wenatchee hospital. We got to go in and see him and even though he was unconscious I'd like to think he knew we were there. He's a strong young lad and I have a feeling he will be waking up soon. Special thanks to Jon, Chris and Chad who acted swiftly in getting a helicopter out there quick even though the authorities didn't want to send one right away. Good job guys. Send all your good energy his way all my CC buds.

never ever ever like to hear about this stuff.....

and i really do hope that jim has a speedy and full recovery...

but for me it is always a time to revaluate(i am not speculating baout others or their actions) myself and the simple things that might be overlooked with climbing that sometimes seems so redundent and second nature....

check your knot and harness and your partners...ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

quote:

Originally posted by erik:
never ever ever like to hear about this stuff.....

and i really do hope that jim has a speedy and full recovery...

but for me it is always a time to revaluate(i am not speculating baout others or their actions) myself and the simple things that might be overlooked with climbing that sometimes seems so redundent and second nature....

check your knot and harness and your partners...ALWAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and wear a helmet at vantage...loosest place this side of the Rockies.

frown.gif" border="0

Heard from Jim's mom about an hour ago. He is stable and his condition is unchanged. No worse..no better. Erik and Dru..point well taken. Jim has always been one of the more detail oriented dudes I have climbed with. Underlines the fact that any of us regardless of intent or experience is capable of making mistakes at any time and to never take climbing safety for granted. Thanks everyone for the support and well wishes.

Talked to Jim's mom this morning. His condition is essentially unchanged. Still in a coma. On the plus side he is breathing on his own and cat scans have shown that he has 100% brain function. From what I gather the main questions are when he will wake up and when he does if there will be any lingering damage.

My thoughts and energy go out to Jim and all those affected by this incident. I sincerely hope that he wakes up and is back to climbing soon.

It is all speculation until we hear something more about the cause, but this certainly reinforced a ritual that Jens and I go through: When possible, we visually inspect each other's knot and harness before every pitch. Even if it is the second pitch of a multipitch route or the gym.

"Lemme see your knot.""Okay, my knot looks good, my biner is locked, my harness is doubled back.""Right. Strap on the nitro."

We've had people look at us funny for doing it, but I'd rather endure funny looks than a ground fall.

Let's all climb safe out there CCers. And send some energy Jim's way.

I would just like to thank all the climbers who were at Feathers during Jim's accident. Everyone got off the wall and came to help, when there was nothing to do people got out of the way. It is nice to know that when things go wrong we can count on other climbers. I have a broken leg and couldn't get to my good friend and roommate but it made me feel a little better when I saw how well everyone handled themselves.

Thanks,Chris