Lynnwood REI moving to Alderwood Mall

Bronco

REI Lynnwood relocating to revamped Alderwood Mall

Recreational Equipment Inc. said it has signed an agreement to move its Lynnwood store to the newly remodeled Alderwood Mall, a mile or two away. Lease terms with mall owner General Growth Properties Inc. are still being negotiated, the company said.

The new 22,500-square-foot store, scheduled to open in about a year, will be on two levels and feature Kent-based REI's signature climbing wall. It will be located in approximately the place where the Alderwood Mall Nordstrom store was before it moved into a larger space during the mall's remodeling. A balcony on the new Nordstrom store will overlook the REI climbing pinnacle, the company said.

"This new store will be a major upgrade and be more conveniently located," said Leslye Teuber, who has managed the Lynnwood store since it opened in 1990. "I hope our customers will be just as thrilled as I am."

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sphinx said:

marylou said:

cj001f said:

more REI One jackets with built in cellphone pockets!

Hey, I have one of those Ones...SuWeet jacket!!!

With a CRAPPY cut.

Depends on what you are using it for. I think the cut of it would make it a crap climbing jacket, but I also happen to have a Mistral which has a fine cut for climbing. The One is more of a ski and around town coat IMO.

'Tis sad to have witnessed the denmise of REI over the last 20 years. I miss the old Capitol Hill store of, say, 1980 or so. I also miss Dag's, the Dog House, the old Murphy's, the Midget Tavern, the pre-permit days, Mayor Royer, the Swallows' Nest, Belltown before the boom, the Svea 123, etc., etc., etc.

But, sigh, it's the only place I can get Kendall Mint Cake!

Besides if REI didn't exist, we'd have to create it or find some other store "Where real climbers don't shop" to vent our spleen on. wink.gif

• 3 weeks later...
AARON1 said:

Looks like the REI at Janzen Beach in Portland is moving into Trendyville (Pearl District). Not sure when it all will is supposed to happen.

It's supposed to open in the Spring ('04). There's also an REI coming to Hillsburrito in fall of '04. The only question is - which will suck the most! Can they challenge Tigard for the bottom?

Funny I heard about this move a couple of weeks ago and I sent an e-mail to a friend. I haven't been in a mall in decades, my REI days are over.

Well another reason not to go to REI anymore. Yesterday I went into the Lynnwood REI only to find the store has radically changed the last few years. Basically, all the climbing stuff is shoved into an itty-bitty corner and the selection is sparse. They didn't even have a climbing bib, I need a new one this year. I looked at their rock climbing and ice climbing supplies, Spartan would describe my selection.

From my e-mail:

I think REI is expanding their profitable areas, mainly main stream stuff. Sad for a company whose origins and foundation was that REI could procure the hard to find items for outdoor enthusiast. Now it seems REI's sole existence is to satisfy the yuppie, mall cruising crowds who wear gore Tex to "look cool" while hanging out at the mall or ordering value meals from the drive through while cruising town in their gas guzzling urban SUV landmobiles. Basically people who would die within hours of being left alone on any Pacific Northwest trail even though they wear enough high tech gear to make Robinson Crusoe salivate from his grave.

• 3 months later...
So what is your recommendation for a reputable outdoor gear store that HASN’T sold out to the mainstream yuppie?

Feathered Friends, Marmot Mountain, Pro Mountain Sports, the tradeoff is that they can't match the return policy and return turn-around times of the big guys like REI.