so what do you use

gapertimmy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

ortovox m2, analog and digital. my opinion is so long as it is digital capable, they are all pretty much the same so long as you know how to use it. i used to think the m2 rocked because it has a bigger range, but there are so many other more important factors and clues in an avy search that have nothing to do with the beacon iteself.

some sort of analog capability is nice for multiple burials but i've heard the new digis have gotten much better at this?

I use an F-1 Focus. Bombproof. The standard by which most beacons were/are judged. Not nearly so easy to use as the newer digital beacons.

Eventually (maybe this season?) I'm going to upgrade to a digital.

If anyone's looking for a cheap functional beacon I've a spare F-1 Focus for sale.

I use the mammut barryvox. I wanted a digital because I figured I'd be less likely to forget how to search should shit really hit the fan and I stressed out. I got that over the tracker since it starts in analog mode for greater range and it's much smaller and lighter

Tracker 100% all the way. Far and away the most reliable finds, in my opinion. You can grid it out with the tracker when gridding becomes valuable, pinpointing w/in a meter or so.

Barryvox users - does the LCD display work with yer polarized sunglasses. I find the analog/dig. transition annoying.

Big Tracker fan here, I've used most of 'em out there a few times.

iain said:

Tracker 100% all the way. Far and away the most reliable finds, in my opinion. You can grid it out with the tracker when gridding becomes valuable, pinpointing w/in a meter or so.

Barryvox users - does the LCD display work with yer polarized sunglasses. I find the analog/dig. transition annoying.

Big Tracker fan here, I've used most of 'em out there a few times.

I don't have polarized sunglasses. But it would be a problem I bet. blush.gif

I find he analog-> digital transition works really well for me. It suits my style of searching. If you don't like it, turn it off.

you can also grid with a barryvox, in fact you can do anything you want to.

I find the audible signal of the Tracker very confusing. The way it gets faster throws me off for some reason.

I think my point is that the best beacon is the one you are comfortable with... and the one you have PRACTICED WITH!

Barryvox. good range, small, simple instructions right on the back in case you turn into a studdering idiot. advance analog features, only if you want to use them.

Also the best carrying system. comfortable and when you pull it out it is already on stretchy keeper leash, you keep the harness on, so no matter what happens it is still attached to you. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

so curious, why are these things so damn expensive? is it b/c the market for them is so small, or do the mfg's know they can gouge b/c the shite can save your life.

in a world of cheap electronics (mp3 players, cheap ram) it just seems outragous to pay $300 for something like a radio beacon.

perhaps i'm ignorant to the technology but damn. that's a phat iPod i could get wit dat cash!

Ok, this is a silly question, but can someone explain to me the very basics of an avy beacon? Alpine skiing almost solely in the midwest I have no experience with them. Haven't even seen one before. How do they work? I figure I had better learn since I will hopefully be in a location where I will have to use one this winter!!! fruit.gif

I understand the market dynamics of why all the brands are within a couple bucks of each other, but I cannot tell whether the cost is high due to economies of scale (it is a small demograpghic/market that uses these things) or going after what the market will bear (this user demographic expects to pay alot for good equipment)

tongue.gif

I think they could be cheaper and or integrated into a gps/pda unit for rapid pinpoint targetting and stove side cc.com posting via satellite uplink while on route. fruit.gif

adventuregal said:

Ok, this is a silly question, but can someone explain to me the very basics of an avy beacon? Alpine skiing almost solely in the midwest I have no experience with them. Haven't even seen one before. How do they work? I figure I had better learn since I will hopefully be in a location where I will have to use one this winter!!! fruit.gif

In essence, it's a wallet-sized platic box that sends/recieves signals to/from another one. Some beep louder as you get closer to another one, others have digital thingies that point you towards the other one. If someone gets buried in an avalanche, you follow the beeps/digital arrows to find you (probably dead) buddy. Read up on them. There's more to it than can be explained here.