Malachite Peak

Toast

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried twice to get up Malachite in 1994 (once by Purvis Lake approach and once by north approach). My next attempt will be via the SE approach (the start from Foss River trailhead). Which way did you do the climb, Tony? General consensus is that the SE corkscrew approach and climb is easiest. All routes involve some level of brush.

I may go up Malachite later this month. Got to knock that sucka off once a fer all.

The easiest route is via the Maloney Ridge Road starting at 3750' and involves no brush. Park at the end of the road just past Evans lake, walk back 100' or so toward Evans Lake to find a steep fisherman's trail heading straight up the ridge (slightly overgrown for the first 100 yards, but opens up quickly). Follow it all the way to the top of the ridge, then down to the pass at 5100' where it drops 600' to Rock Lake. Traverse the talus 100' or so above the west shores of Rock Lake (not the east ridge Beckey suggests) up to the tarn at 5278', then SE to the pass above Panorama Lake. From here it's all talus to the pass above Purvis Lake. Drop from the pass and shoot for the snowfield, taking advantage of it as much as possible to avoid the choss (which you'll have to hit sooner or later to get up to the shelf leading to a short class 3-4 scramble to the summit).

http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/download.php?id=2816