sponsorship

bDubyaH

I am part of a small group heading to some unclimbed 6000+ meter peaks next year. We are looking into the possibilty of sponsorship from a number of gear companies, just wondering if anyone has experience in trying to get an expedition sponsored and if so would you please share a few nuggets with me. just pm me with any detailed knowledge. thanks. bw

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I get requests every day. Most are just climbing the same old boaring peaks as the guide companies are guiding. Many have a specific cause for the climb such as donating the proceeds to cancer research or environmental cleanup on the mountain, etc.

If you want sponsorship to the full degree, make up a climbing resume and a gameplan. The biggest sponsorship I did this year was because it coencided (sp?) with publications that I advertise with and other gear companies that are in the same ballpark as us (Arc'Teryx, Life Link, Black Diamond, etc). If you would like a copy of a recent sponsorship resume to model yours after, just e-mail me off the board.

Other advise, stay away from BIG companies liek TNF, MH & Marmo'. They could give a rats ass about the cool stuff you are doing. They want a poster child not real life adventurers.

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

One other thing, pro deals are easy to come by. Just about anyone will offer a pro deal but not many companies are willing to give away gear. Consider offering incentive such as a slideshow at their local retailer or images for advertisement.

The whole reason they are sponsoring climbs in the first place is for marketing so you need to find ways to help them market their products that will capture a very large audience.

If you plan on writing articles to big name publications and they notice you are wearing or using their equipment, they are more likely to give money or gear away. You need to have articles already published though.