how do I start?

nicole26

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nichole, if you are put off by the wolves, you can try contacting the gals of cc.com: maryk, minx, adventuregal, climbingirl33, thelawgoddess, ehmic, muffy_the_wanker_sprayer, ChrisT, or dryad. There are others too. I may have mispelled some of the names but you can look them up. You can climb with them and they can also tell you which guys are safe and which aren't.

gnibmilc said:

Join the Tacoma Mountaineers and take the Basic Mountaineering Course. That's what these folks really want to say, but...it's hard for them. You might learn about Mountaineering and what too many years of raining winters does to people.

This is the worst possible advice I've ever read on this board. You should be horsewhipped, climbing [backwards]

Nicole,

My advice is to come to one or more of the weekly Pub Club (PC) events that take place on Tuesday nights. The location changes but it generally takes place within the Seattle city limits (8 out of 10 times). A thread announcing the coming Tuesday's PC event gets posted the day before wherein people can discuss and wrangle over the location, etc.

Generally, the people who attend PCs are respectable. I will send you a PM to list those regulars who I consider respectable. Of those I do not consider respectable, I will not divulge my personal opinions. That's not the point here. However, I will note that Trask NEVER goes to Pub Clubs. It is an ongoing joke that he poses like he does but he doesn't.

At Pub Club you will be able to meet different types of climbers (alpine, sport, skiers, etc.). Most of the people who attend PC events are men (which is reflective of their statistical majority in the sport), but there are a few women who regularly show up too. You can then get your questions answered in face-to-face conversation, not like on this bulletin board where the expectorators expect no less.

Despite the naysayers and some otherwise scandalous events that have occurred, PC events are "generally" decent affairs.

We yellaf.gif, we cry.gif, we bigdrink.gif, we cheeburga_ron.gif, we rockband.gif, we bigdrink.gif some more, we yellaf.gif some more, we find out wazzup.gif with each other, and, in the end, we pitty.gif that didn't show up. As the night rolls on, people come and go. Usually, we wave.gif goodbye...unless it's Dave Schuldt skipping out on the bill again.

~~~~Paul

klenke said:

Generally, the people who attend PCs are respectable. I will send you a PM to list those regulars who I consider respectable. Of those I do not consider respectable, I will not divulge my personal opinions. That's not the point here. However, I will note that Trask NEVER goes to Pub Clubs. It is an ongoing joke that he poses like he does but he doesn't.

Paul-ine;

Who the fuck are you to be lord of who is respectable? Do you know everyone? Just have the girl show, and let her make up her own mind. If I recall correctly, it worked for maryk.

Trask ALWAYS comes to Pub Club, just because you don't see him doesn't mean shit.

trask said:

greg, brutha, in fairness I must say I've missed two or three PC's over the years. klenke is drunk...hell he's bought me more beers than he'd like to hear about.

Well, sure, when you were recuperating from that clandestine op in Rwanda; it's not your fault you got malaria.

Oh, was I supposed to keep that under wraps? Sorry. Geek_em8.gif

Edited by Greg_W

Hmmmm, being called a "newbie female troll" isn't what I expected. But as a Yankee transplant, I guess it could be worse.

I promise I'm real, and I appreciate the nice (sane and welcoming) private msgs I've received. Good advice on books, gyms, and even telling me that some of you aren't as crude in real life as you portray here! Please just don't bash me for my climbing ignorance---I want to learn, and safely see some of the beautiful high places around here.

chucK said:

klenke said:

...unless it's Dave Schuldt skipping out on the bill again.

You're one to talk!!!! Latona Tavern ring any bells?
Let's see if I remember that incident clearly:

It was you, me, and AlpineK straggling. Everyone else had left. I went up to the counter to pay my share, but the bartender said the bill had already been paid up (without my knowledge). I therefore didn't have to pay. Or, more to the point, why pay twice for the same beer? And as I recall for myself, I made sure I made up for it by buying at least one pitcher at the next PC I attended. Or something like that...

ncascademtns said:

nicole26 said:

---I want to learn, and safely see some of the beautiful high places around here.

So sad cry.gif you sport climbers.

Sounds like she wants to Alpine Climb. thumbs_up.gif

Way to be nicole26 thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Let me know, I'll get you set up. wave.gif

Yea you and every other guy on this site yellaf.gif

nicole26 said:

Hmmmm, being called a "newbie female troll" isn't what I expected. But as a Yankee transplant, I guess it could be worse.

I promise I'm real, and I appreciate the nice (sane and welcoming) private msgs I've received. Good advice on books, gyms, and even telling me that some of you aren't as crude in real life as you portray here! Please just don't bash me for my climbing ignorance---I want to learn, and safely see some of the beautiful high places around here.

aw come on quit tantalizing us and post some of the juicy pms. what the hell else is this thread good for?