how do I start?

nicole26

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the interest of offering balance and perspective (sometimes dismissed as dinosaurial delusion) I'll suggest that you skip the gym -- at least until the real winter weather settles in -- and look for people who would be able to safely take you up some "basic" climbs in the "outdoors. " Examples would be Midway on Castle Rock in Leavenworth or one of the easier routes on Mount Baker. You've suggested that you actually like hiking and being outdoors, so I'm guessing you might find such experiences more exciting than hanging out in the gym and, even though I know it goes contrary to modern practice, I think you can learn more about rock climbing on real crags and the only place to learn much about snow and ice climbing is on real mountains.

If you want to train, or to develop rock climbing skills that are primarily useful for a very specific type of climbing (sport climbing), or if you want to meet lots of young climbers, go to the gym.

Post on this site and you'll find partners (you may already have gotten fifteen private messages) and my guess is you'll be OK if you go to Leavenworth or the Exit 38 with some anonomous poster from cc.com, but obviously you'll have to use some judgment. The same will be true at "Ropeup" (Beckfest), though, and you'll similarly have to be careful about meeting somebody in the gym and then going climbing "outdoors" with them.

mattp said:

In the interest of offering balance and perspective (sometimes dismissed as dinosaurial delusion) I'll suggest that you skip the gym -- at least until the real winter weather settles in -- and look for people who would be able to safely take you up some "basic" climbs in the "outdoors. " Examples would be Midway on Castle Rock in Leavenworth or one of the easier routes on Mount Baker. You've suggested that you actually like hiking and being outdoors, so I'm guessing you might find such experiences more exciting than hanging out in the gym and, even though I know it goes contrary to modern practice, I think you can learn more about rock climbing on real crags and the only place to learn much about snow and ice climbing is on real mountains.

If you want to train, or to develop rock climbing skills that are primarily useful for a very specific type of climbing (sport climbing), or if you want to meet lots of young climbers, go to the gym.

Post on this site and you'll find partners (you may already have gotten fifteen private messages) and my guess is you'll be OK if you go to Leavenworth or the Exit 38 with some anonomous poster from cc.com, but obviously you'll have to use some judgment. The same will be true at "Ropeup" (Beckfest), though, and you'll similarly have to be careful about meeting somebody in the gym and then going climbing "outdoors" with them.

Matt...i was suggesting the gym so she could MEET these people...

RuMR said:

mattp said:

I agree with Matt, and bear in mind that RumR is a raging alcoholic and somewhat of a sleeping pill abuser. I haven't heard of too many people meeting people at the gym to go climb outdoors. Plenty of good partners to be found here...fuck the gym.

RuMR-

At the gym she'll mostly meet gym climbers. Yes, some of them have experience and skills appropriate for what I term "real" climbing but I bet that, on any given night, most of the people who she will meet there - the ones that are hanging about looking to strike up a conversation with an unknown female - do not. On this board, I think the ratio of climbers qualified to take her to Leavenworth or Mount Baker to those who are not is probably a little higher. And the gym costs - what - fifteen or twenty dollars a visit? If she's interested in climbing real mountains and real crags she'll probably make at least three visits to the gym before she makes the date to go to Leavenworth or Mount Baker. She could bring that 60 dollars to pubclub and she'd have a partner for the next coming Saturday. Or she could save her money and use it to buy gas and start chatting with whomever sends her a message on this board. She'll still have to figure out how to tell the wheat from the chaff, but at least on this board it is free.

mattp said:

RuMR-

At the gym she'll mostly meet gym climbers. Yes, some of them have experience and skills appropriate for what I term "real" climbing but I bet that, on any given night, most of the people who she will meet there - the ones that are hanging about looking to strike up a conversation with an unknown female - do not. On this board, I think the ratio of climbers qualified to take her to Leavenworth or Mount Baker to those who are not is probably a little higher. And the gym costs - what - fifteen or twenty dollars a visit? If she's interested in climbing real mountains and real crags she'll probably make at least three visits to the gym before she makes the date to go to Leavenworth or Mount Baker. She could bring that 60 dollars to pubclub and she'd have a partner for the next coming Saturday. Or she could save her money and use it to buy gas and start chatting with whomever sends her a message on this board. She'll still have to figure out how to tell the wheat from the chaff, but at least on this board it is free.

Good points all, Matt. Further, on this board there is a way to check people out before you climb with them through third parties on this site.

Greg_W said:

RuMR said:

mattp said:

I agree with Matt, and bear in mind that RumR is a raging alcoholic and somewhat of a sleeping pill abuser. I haven't heard of too many people meeting people at the gym to go climb outdoors. Plenty of good partners to be found here...fuck the gym.

ahhh greggie...you freakin' kill me...hahahaha

GYM RULEZ GUNS SUCK!

trollin trollin' trollin' yellaf.gif

Thinker said:

Greg_W said:

Figger_Eight said:

check out a Pub Club... thumbs_up.gif

Best thing to do. Whatever you do, stay away from the Moutaineers

Yeah, but where else will she learn to tie a one-handed bowline....

I could teach her in about 5 minutes...anything to keep her away from the herd mentality and the needy.

Greg_W said:

mattp said:

RuMR-

Good points all, Matt. Further, on this board there is a way to check people out before you climb with them through third parties on this site.

as an "official third party reviewer"...don't ever go out on the crag w/ Greg_W...sketchy sketchy...russian roulette... evils3d.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

RuMR said:

Greg_W said:

mattp said:

RuMR-

as an "official third party reviewer"...don't ever go out on the crag w/ Greg_W...sketchy sketchy...russian roulette... evils3d.gifyellaf.gifyellaf.gif

You may be joking, Rudy, but I am serious. How do you know the skills of some plastic puller you meet at the gym? I've had potential partners check me out through others, to make sure I am what I say I am. A smart move, if you ask me; especially being a chic.

U r right...i'm more poking fun at you... yellaf.gif

I did suggest she go to clinics at the VW, not just the gym in general...several of the employees there are fairly knowledgeable...and they can point someone in the right direction...

Either way, this is a tough one to just venture out as a complete beginner into an activity that can potentially kill you...Perhaps the mountaineers aren't such a bad proposition after all (flamesuit on...i know nothing about them or their organization) for a complete beginner...

RuMR said:

Perhaps the mountaineers aren't such a bad proposition after all (flamesuit on...i know nothing about them or their organization) for a complete beginner...

Seems like this could establish some bad first impressions for an individual who wants to get into climbing; especially with the background that Nicole claims to have.

I still advocate this website as a good place to meet people and learn. Many people on this site have taught me A LOT.

Being a newbie is hard!!! I started out not knowing a THING about climbing, just that it looked like something I could be into. I started in the gym(I don't want to hear any shit! It was January in MN!), where I learned the basics. That really helped me to feel a little more confident moving outside onto real rock where I then had some great teachers to help me out(Mostly from this site I might add! Hon, if you're real, hang in there and you'll get some great partners from cc.com). The gym was a great place for me to learn, but it's not where I wanted to stay. The keys to having a good intro to climbing are to find some good teachers, ask lots of questions, and have fun!!!!!

I got started in a midwestern university outdoor adventure program. We had one classroom session, one outdoor wall session, and then were off to climb for a weekend. I suspect some local universities have similar programs that you can sign up for even if you're not a student. At least that way you get the basics in a safe outdoor setting.