how do I start?

nicole26

Okay, after reading this site for a little while, I'm taking the plunge and posting this. Having just moved to Seattle from the Northeast, I am a "newbie" with absolutely no experience in climbing per se. I have hiked quite a bit in the White Mtns, and done several easy 14ers in Colorado.

So here I am in a new town, wanting to learn a new sport, with no experience. I am somewhat of an athlete, not a complainer, and I'd like to learn the basics of climbing while out here (for the next year at least)---snow as well as rock.

Can you guys offer advice on where a female can best get started in this sport, while being safe, and avoiding creeps?

Serious advice appreciated!

Nicole

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nicole26 said:

Okay, after reading this site for a little while, I'm taking the plunge and posting this. Having just moved to Seattle from the Northeast, I am a "newbie" with absolutely no experience in climbing per se. I have hiked quite a bit in the White Mtns, and done several easy 14ers in Colorado.

So here I am in a new town, wanting to learn a new sport, with no experience. I am somewhat of an athlete, not a complainer, and I'd like to learn the basics of climbing while out here (for the next year at least)---snow as well as rock.

Can you guys offer advice on where a female can best get started in this sport, while being safe, and avoiding creeps?

Serious advice appreciated!

Nicole

Nicole...my suggestion is to check out one of the climbing gyms around here...good place to meet people, especially when the weather socks in...

Thanks for the advice guys (except I'm not sure what's up with 'Attitude'). Per your suggestions, I plan to do some reading and investigating of the local gyms. I have read something on this site about the "Beckfest" and I'll try to also find info on the "Timmyfest." I like to shed the corporate uniform at the end of the day, but I don't usually hang with the wilder crowds.

Now I must be a good company drone and get back to work. grin.gif

Thanks minx. I am 'for real' but I guess there are some games that have been played on this site in the past. Hey, folks, all I want is a little info so I can find my 'starting point' in this sport, maybe make a few friends to enjoy outdoor sports with as well. So far everything I've done in the mountains has been fun (hiking, scrambling, skiing). I want to fully enjoy the year or two that I'm likely to be here...this seems like something I'd really enjoy.

If you haven't bought gear yet, the gym is a good place to go and try it out first. If you know that it's something you want to put your time (and money) into, then buy yourself a harness, shoes, and chalkbag. Once you have your personal climbing gear, you can go to a gym or local area, hang out, and introduce yourself to people -- tell them you are new to the area, just starting out, have your own gear, and are looking to climb.

Good luck. Have fun.

jkrueger said:

If you haven't bought gear yet, the gym is a good place to go and try it out first. If you know that it's something you want to put your time (and money) into, then buy yourself a harness, shoes, and chalkbag. Once you have your personal climbing gear, you can go to a gym or local area, hang out, and introduce yourself to people -- tell them you are new to the area, just starting out, have your own gear, and are looking to climb.

Good luck. Have fun.

What Jason said is on the mark...ignore the idiots here...go to the gym...there are usually "clinics" where you can also meet folks just starting out...

ACTUALLY I NOTICED THIS WEEKEND THAT THERS IS SOME WOMEN'S ALPINE GET TOGETHER UP IN MAZAMA SOON. BOBBYPERU AND I TRIED TO SIGN UP BUT GOT TOLD "NO". IF YOU WANT CHECK OUT NORTH CASCADES MOUNTAIN GUIDES.

THEY ARE ABOUT ONE OF THE ONLY REAL LEGITIMATE GUIDE SERVICE. FOCUSED ON REAL CLIMBING AND NOT FINANCIAL SUCCESS LIKE MOST OF THE OTHER SERVICES IN THIS STATE AND ABROAD.

erik said:

ACTUALLY I NOTICED THIS WEEKEND THAT THERS IS SOME WOMEN'S ALPINE GET TOGETHER UP IN MAZAMA SOON. BOBBYPERU AND I TRIED TO SIGN UP BUT GOT TOLD "NO". IF YOU WANT CHECK OUT NORTH CASCADES MOUNTAIN GUIDES.

THEY ARE ABOUT ONE OF THE ONLY REAL LEGITIMATE GUIDE SERVICE. FOCUSED ON REAL CLIMBING AND NOT FINANCIAL SUCCESS LIKE MOST OF THE OTHER SERVICES IN THIS STATE AND ABROAD.

How come they never have a guys only climbing setup?? Not that i'd want one, but w/ an air to equality that women's only thing smacks me as not right... confused.gif