Awesome fire photos from Kelowna BC

snoboy

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

" Looks like most of the Kettle Valley Railway Trestles are going to go in the next day or so, 6 gone already... frown.gif"

Last reports say they've lost 6 of the timber-framed trestles, and two of the steel-framed spans have had their deckings burned off. They've managed to keep the remaining bridges intact for now through continuous aerial bombardment, but if the winds get too stiff today and tomorrow it may be game over for the rest of them as well.

This is a huge blow to Kelowna, psychologically. The homes that were lost last month can all be rebuilt, but those trestles were such a significant piece of the area's early history (Myra Canyon was declared a National Historic Site just 6 months ago), and so much volunteer time and love and sweat had gone into restoring them over the last 20 years, it just makes me heartsick to think of them burning.

Estimated replacement cost if they all go is $35 million. Apparently the provincial and federal governments have already indicated they want to see them rebuilt if at all possible. Anyone know where I can send my cheque?

babnik said:

... i wish my house would burn down cause i am poor and hungry. frown.gif

I'm sorry, but if you can't even muster the initiative to burn down your own house, then you don't deserve to eat. Houses don't burn down just because you "wished" it, you know. If you really want your house to burn down, at some point you're going to have to get up off your butt and start lighting some matches.

With that passive, lazy attitude of yours, you'll never amount to anything.

I mean, really!

Great pictures snoboy! I maybe a pyro for saying this, but FIRE IS BEAUTIFUL!

and your just looking at a picture. Try having the leading edge of a wildfire roll over you

That is what actually happened to some kids a few years back just south of that area in WA and some of them died. Our crew was at fire camp in Winthrop when it happened and we were on the fire after the burnover....it was pretty fucking sad and scary....

I've fought fire in that country more times than I cared to and that map is bringing back some exhausting memories.

Although I feel for the folks that lost thier homes, I still think that fire is a good thing.

murraysovereign said:

babnik said:

... i wish my house would burn down cause i am poor and hungry. frown.gif

I'm sorry, but if you can't even muster the initiative to burn down your own house, then you don't deserve to eat. Houses don't burn down just because you "wished" it, you know. If you really want your house to burn down, at some point you're going to have to get up off your butt and start lighting some matches.

With that passive, lazy attitude of yours, you'll never amount to anything.

I mean, really!

i think their attitude is a bit different with the hand outs when you started the fire yourself. yellaf.gif

Too bad wildland firefighters make so little money

HUH? I made about $30,000 in 5 months when I was on the Fed Hotshot crew. They pretty much feed you, you travel all over the nation and you camp all summer! They might even give you a chainsaw to run yellaf.gif The checks just pile up cuz you are so busy....I had about $9000 in the bank when I finished the season. Headed to The Mexican Caribbean by myself for two months aftre I got laid off and then collected unemployment till the next season....it was great!

Tid bit o warning--You age really fast in that line of work what with the smoke inhalation, being on the road the whole summer and hard work 15 hours a day...hope you are used to not showering for weeks at a time and being paid from the neck down... tongue.gif Oh yah, and it is dangerous too...