Scale for Weighing Gear

dan_e

Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap, fairly accurate scale for weighing gear? I would prefer something that I can hang gear on and I thought about using a fish scale, but I am not sure how accurate they are?

Any advise would be much appreciated!

Dan E.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by tomtom:
The post office has digital scales available for weighing gear and such.

Can't beat the price.

This is what I use. If you're feeling a little weird about it, just go after the lobby closes. There usually is a self-meter digital scale you can access at all hours. I've also used the supermarket produce scales, and one gear shop I frequented in GA had a digi in the store for weight comparison.

quote:

Originally posted by AlpineK:
how about your bathroom scale. Weigh yourself, weigh yourself with your pack, do some math. I think it's called subtraction

Most bathroom scales are not particularly accurate. Or repeatable. I can gain or loose five pounds on mine, depending on how I stand.

So, if you're trying to find out how much your weekend pack weighs, for bragging rights, it's probably okay, but if you're trying to compare the weight of, say, two different tents, or sleeping bags, it probably won't work. But the downtown post office is a great place to hang out after hours!

Don't know your location, but a local shop in the UW district (North) has a scale. They weight all the gear they sell independent of mfg claims.

FYI, The owner is a co-author of "Selected Climbs In the Cascades".

quote:

Originally posted by dan e:
Does anyone have any suggestions for a cheap, fairly accurate scale for weighing gear? I would prefer something that I can hang gear on and I thought about using a fish scale, but I am not sure how accurate they are?

Dan E.

Once Apon A Time...

REI used to have a scale in their original Capitol Hill store, and would also weigh everything independent of the mfg claims too. Not now...

I believe that the Canadian alternative to what REI used to be, MEI, still weighs items for their catalog on their own scale.

quote:

Dan E.

OOPS.

The website, if interested; for the climbing shop in the UW district is:http://www.promountainsports.com/

They have odd hours, so be sure to check before hand.

quote:

Dan E.

quote:

Originally posted by Alpine Tom:
Most bathroom scales are not particularly accurate. Or repeatable. I can gain or loose five pounds on mine, depending on how I stand.

...but if you're trying to compare the weight of, say, two different tents, or sleeping bags, it probably won't work.

Oh I know that, but you can get product info in catalogs if your trying to be really accurate. And if your trying to get within 5 pounds so you don't have to pay excess baggage then you are nutty (not necessarily in a bad way)

I went to my local hardware store and bought a scale for $33. It is made by Sunbeam. It measures oz and pounds up to 10lbs. By the time something gets over 10lbs, I use the bathroom scale while i am wearing or holding the object.

Why worry with the weight of things? It is the best way to lighten your pack. When you know what each item weighes, it is easier to eliminate heavier items. If the budget allows, you can even replace the heavy items with lighter ones. It comes down to counting oz. A few here, a few there and you can easily lighten a pack a couple pounds.

I have to do this due to the fact I have legs as strong as a 7 year old girl and I need all the help I can get.

Besides, there is a difference in a 225lbs person carrying a 50lb pack and a someone the weighes 145lbs.

The 225lb person is carrying 22% of their own weight where the 145lb person is carrying 34% of their own weight.

Jedi

quote:

Originally posted by Alpine Tom:
Or, you could go to your neighborhood grocery store, and use the scales in the produce department. I expect they're pretty accurate, and they probably wouldn't mind.

I think they might mind me flopping my smelly boots in the fruit scales. shocked.gif" border="0

A lesson here is WASH YOUR PRODUCE before you eat it kids. wink.gif" border="0