• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

chris_farley1.jpg

E_NAV08.JPG

Kinda funny, when I was starting out climbing, I conisdered joining the mounties but, fortunatly I started posting here and had some very nice and polite guys show me the ropes. Looks like they aleady have the fatty in the group anyway.

But look at all the fun I woulda missed. As cool as my mentors are, they never took the time to show me how to safely walk on a 2' tall rock!

Edited by Bronco

you know this is kinda fun but really really really not nice. at least these people are making some sort of effort. even the really fat one.

besides rappelling is scary. i think i'd find a little more of an angle to have them start on but b/c of my first rap experience i'm damn near phobic about it. it would've been nice to have a slightly saner learning experience.

minx said:

you know this is kinda fun but really really really not nice. at least these people are making some sort of effort. even the really fat one.

besides rappelling is scary. i think i'd find a little more of an angle to have them start on but b/c of my first rap experience i'm damn near phobic about it. it would've been nice to have a slightly saner learning experience.

Another apologist. Weak.

Necronomicon said:

minx said:

Another apologist. Weak.

yeah and necro you can bite me

minx said:

Necronomicon said:

minx said:

Another apologist. Weak.

yeah and necro you can bite me

When?

minx said:

Why would anyone in their right mind rappel a trail? I'm all for learning someplace you don't get scared, but this is beyond ridiculous. KEEP IT UP, GUYS! thumbs_up.gifyelrotflmao.gifyelrotflmao.gifthumbs_up.gif

Sphinx said:

minx said:

Figger_Eight said:

Look out...she bites back hellno3d.gif

yes i do and if he's not nice i'll show him what i can do with my knee.

Minx, if you aren't comfortable rappelling then I hope that you started 'climbing' roughly two days ago.

yes it was just about that...yep....2 days ago. rolleyes.gif

i'm comfortable with the technique, i just don't like it. i am also comfortable going to my dentist but i don't like it and sometimes it scares me

the_finger.gif

Sphinx said:

Minx, if you aren't comfortable rappelling then I hope that you started 'climbing' roughly two days ago.

so now anyone who has ever started climbing is required to be comfortable with rappelling within two days after they first climbed??? I rarely say this to anyone, but I think you need to learn about how dangerous rappelling can be the hard way...

scot'teryx said:

B_SLABS9.JPG

Ursa,

I think a lot of people here who are laughing at these pictures have taught total newbies how to climb. I really enjoy taking newbies out into the mountains and seeing them learn and enjoy climbing. I think its great that the chubby guy is out in the woods and not sitting on the couch, but the activities shown in these pictures are pretty silly. To me they demonstrate that the Mountaineers (and similar groups) are often more about subjecting people to meaningless, humiliatingly simple rites-of-passage rather than teaching climbing skills the way a friend would for example.

Newbies thumbs_up.gif

Climbing clubs thumbs_down.gif

I've been climbing for eleven years now and still hate rappelling. This is mainly because I am not in control. Even on a runout with a bad decking potential, it doesn't bother me as much because I am in control. A rappel is about trusting gear and gear only. No way to save yourself if the gear fails. My 2 cents. Funny picts b the way!