Mt. Lemmon, AZ

climberbro16

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, if you're talking about bouldering... can't help you. If you're looking for climbs...

Go to the Ruply towers area. There are at least three super-classic Lemmon climbs there in the 5.8 range. R-#'s. "Chihuahua Power" is a great bolted 5.9. Slippery When Wet is a great two pitch trad 5.7 on one of the buttress' SW of Windy Point. It goes right up the end of the formation and has great exposure. High Karate (5.7?) is a classic in the same area. Hitchcock Pinnicle has a fun trad 5.7 and a good bolted 5.11. Both of these will take you to the top of a great pinnicle. There's a fun 5.11 on the east face of tri-level spire. In general. I'd head for windy point and go from there. You'll see a whole bunch of cars in the lot, but they're all tourist (who I love, eric) that will stay at the overlook.It's been a while since I've been there, and I don't know what you're looking to climb, but you can't go wrong with these! Have fun. FYI: There's a great place to camp East of town. Go to the N.E. corner of town and head up Tanque Verde or East Reddington Rd. I did a litte mapqwest work and couldn't figure out exactly which one. The right road will take you up into NF land overlooking the city to a usually quite spot. And free.

quote:

Originally posted by climberbro16:
Anybody been down there and done some problems? Im headin down to Tucson Thursday-Tuesday. If so, any of you recomend any that arnt to hard?

[ 02-18-2002: Message edited by: climberbro16 ]

there is a bunch of new bouldering on mt. lemmon. i haven't bouldered there but you can check arizonaclimbing.com to see if they have any good info or talk to people at rocks and ropes climbing gym in tucson. theres also decent bouldering around cochise stronghold and at some granite area west of town (i forget the name). again check the web or the tucson gym for more info.

I lived in Tucson for six years, and have climbed at just about every area in southern AZ (I even scoped out The Dry area before I left town). I'm sure I can point you in the direction of some climbs, but can you define climbs "that arnt to hard"? Do you have a rack and double ropes? How about a car and mountain bike?

Some of Mt Lemmon's best won't be very climbable this time of year due to road closures at the ski resort, ice, and snow. Closer to Windy Point, I'd reccomend Cripple Creek on the Pharoh. If it's cool, Milagrosa Canyon has some fine sport climbs amid tall sagauros. If you're up for more adverturous stuff, the Stronghold, or Mendoza canyon can provide lots of thrills.