Labor day TR: 0 climbs, 1 fiance

JoshK

This weekend was a huge weekend for me. I don't know why I feel I need to post this on here, but I've climbed with several folks on here and have e-Met many more of you. Also, for selfish reasons, I am in the mood to tell anybody and everybody who will listen smile.gif

To make a long story short, the highlight of my weekend in San Francisco was asking my then-girlfriend to marry me. It was the best weekend of my life and I am so completely thrilled. Oddly enough, working up the courage to ask that question was quite similar to physcing one's self up before a crux on lead!

I'm going to start needing to suck up some advice from the married folks on here on how to maintain both a relationship and a healthy climbing "career"!! I also finally found a way to treat my unhealthy condition of being a complete gear whore...buy a diamond ring. No more money...no more gear whore temptations! wink.gif

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JoshK said:

I'm going to start needing to suck up some advice from the married folks on here on how to maintain both a relationship and a healthy climbing "career"!! wink.gif

I hope you've already have been with her long enough to figure this out 'cause marriage aint gonna help! Expect a hiatus from climbing for about 5 years if you have kids. Hopefully that's ONE of the reasons you decided to get hitched.

JoshK said:

To make a long story short, the highlight of my weekend in San Francisco was asking my then-girlfriend to marry me. It was the best weekend of my life and I am so completely thrilled.

is this irony? pitty.gif

btw. this fucking cc.com site provides some kickass entertainment. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks to all!! wave.gifwave.giffruit.gif

Dru, I shall pass on your offer!

David, yes, kids are in the plans but not for a bit. I definitely realize that they'll put a damper on climbing, but I think they come with their own advantages smile.gif

The coolest thing is completely out of the blue she asked me the other day if I would take her up and show her the outdoors and climbing. I've always dated very "city" girls and I've tried to force the outdoors and climbing on them in various ways. I decided to not do that ever again, and she actually came to me about it. Hopefully a good sign! thumbs_up.gif

JoshK said:

The coolest thing is completely out of the blue she asked me the other day if I would take her up and show her the outdoors and climbing.

Watch for the 'bait and switch', bro. I don't know how old you are, but if you're under 25 you're fucking up; if not, well, you are an adult.

People tell me you're a big asshole, so she must be a saint (or headed for it) or being punished by God or something. Poor girl.

As one married for 20 years, I can only pass on the advice my grandfather gave me when I was married. "You have to give a little to get a little". Translated that means unless you take your wife on your climbs, you'll have to do something for her in return. So that could mean taking her out do dinner, ironing the clothes, going to a movie. If you maintain a balance between climbing and domestic life, you'll have a happy and long marriage.

Yes, kids will put a damper on climbing, but not totally. You'll still get out, but just not as much. Having friends and relatives to help watch the kids helps a lot. Remember to volunteer to take in your friends and relatives kids so you can cash in the favors when that awesome climbing opportunity comes up.

I treated all my exes like subservient Mormon wives. Damn, what happened?

Seriously, happy trails. Now could someone please tell me how to nicely dump a broad. I'm bored with her and she loves me and shit. 6 years of bachelorhood has made me see the light. I JUST WANT TO BE FOREVER SINGLE AND FUCK AROUND. Men, don't ever let a woman convince you that you need her in your life. It's bullshit. We're quite capable of taking care of ourselves.

Go climbing every weekend from now until she says something. How long it takes her to respond to your fanaticism will indicate how much she will think of you as one of her toys. Remember, all bets are off once you have kids. Moms' priorities take precedence over wives' priorities.

trask said:

Seriously, happy trails. Now could someone please tell me how to nicely dump a broad. I'm bored with her and she loves me and shit. 6 years of bachelorhood has made me see the light. I JUST WANT TO BE FOREVER SINGLE AND FUCK AROUND. Men, don't ever let a woman convince you that you need her in your life. It's bullshit. We're quite capable of taking care of ourselves.

DOOD!!! Have you NOT dumped this bitch yet? C'mon, man, tell her you have bone cancer and are going to travel around the world for the last six months of your life, or visit the Dalai Lama, or something.

Greg_W said:

trask said:

DOOD!!! Have you NOT dumped this bitch yet? C'mon, man, tell her you have bone cancer and are going to travel around the world for the last six months of your life, or visit the Dalai Lama, or something.

The sex has been too phenomenal. I'm weak. I love to fuck. What can I say. BUT, I can't stand the sight of her anymore. She pulls into the driveway and I go, "oh fuck, she's here, please god, kill me". Then she screws my socks off and am ashamed for not having the balls to do something about it. Maybe tomorrow.

BTW Josh, congratulations bigdrink.gif

One bit of advice: be DAMN SURE that she knows what climbing is, at least in the sense that it takes time (i.e. you'll be gone many weekends) and that you fully intend to continue to climb after you are married. Be sure she knows it is not a fad or phase that you are going through. If you don't, it will be a phase.

The tone and temper you set now will continue for years, maybe forever. blush.gif

The biggest mistake that I see others make when they get hitched is to give in during dating and not climb as often as they would like, thinking they'll climb later.

Hopefully she isn't a needy type that needs to have you around all of the time. hellno3d.gif If she is, it won't get better. evils3d.gif

Congrats....no befpore you get hitched, be sure she knows what your needs are..... bigdrink.gif

Josh-Congrats! My climbing has cost me one wife (bait-n-switch) and two girlfriends (the seperate activities deal(incidentally, they both were starting to get cozy in the relationship and beginning to prefer Hagan-Das over staying thin)). However, I've got the greatest gal who DOES want to climb more and is looking forward to vacations that include climbing. Good Luck!

Trask- Change the locks! Get a pet of the type of animal she hates. Get a roommate. Afraid she'll stalk you? Or just move without telling her. Do you want to go through the holidays with her? Having to buy her presents? Maybe she'll be OK with just being booty call.

JoshK said:

This weekend was a huge weekend for me. I don't know why I feel I need to post this on here, but I've climbed with several folks on here and have e-Met many more of you. Also, for selfish reasons, I am in the mood to tell anybody and everybody who will listen smile.gif

To make a long story short, the highlight of my weekend in San Francisco was asking my then-girlfriend to marry me. It was the best weekend of my life and I am so completely thrilled. Oddly enough, working up the courage to ask that question was quite similar to physcing one's self up before a crux on lead!

I'm going to start needing to suck up some advice from the married folks on here on how to maintain both a relationship and a healthy climbing "career"!! I also finally found a way to treat my unhealthy condition of being a complete gear whore...buy a diamond ring. No more money...no more gear whore temptations! wink.gif

You just made the biggest mistake of your life....