Whew...lucky, courageous climber

ridehikeclimbski

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mattp said:

What? Nobody wants to stand up for the righteousness of ski poles and the 50cm tool for general mountaineering?

I'll use a ski pole on lesser angle stuff unless there are crevasses, then I'll carry my ice axe. Proper french tecnique will get you through pretty steep stuff. When I feel I need to be able to self arrest I use a 57.5 cm straight shaft/classic pick tool. Perfect length for me and I'm 5'-11". I hate swinging anything longer and I don't have to raise my arms quite as high for shaft plunging.

I'm sure that with modern climbing styles being what they are, nobody is going to be persuaded to use and old fashioned ice axe, but have any of you folks practiced the self arrest with both a 50 cm axe and a 70 cm one? How many of you have ever tried using a 70 cm axe on a mountain climb and traded back and forth with your buddy who has the 50 and a ski pole to see which was more useful on moderate terrain? How many of you, who worry about the weight of other items in your pack, carry an ice axe, ski pole, and a picket for a moderate climb?* Just curious.

*credit to Lowell Skoog for pointing out that many climbers these days now carry these three tools in situations where we used to carry only the axe in the old days.

Something about this really has been bothering me, and I hope I am not the only one.

I believe the lesson here has nothing to do with tools. If you run across an obviously injured, bleeding climber descending solo, do you allow that individual to continue on his/her own because they say it is "okay"? Keep in mind what you know, or think you know about shock.

The correct answer is no. Yes, you miss a day out while helping another person, but maybe you save a life, or help someone avoid a long hospital stay.

Figger_Eight said:

If you run across an accident victim who is ambulatory, in most cases it's better for them to keep walking out rather than stop and wait for rescue.

Yeh But DP is right , it might not hurt to give up on our trip and at least walk out with em. Sometimes they are ambulatory for a while then what.