Organizing while cleaning?

catbirdseat

I've heard several people say they "save time" in gear exchanges by organizing gear as they clean it. Does it really save time versus doing it at the belay? I like to follow just as fast as I possibly can so my leader doesn't have to belay me all day. I throw it over my shoulder and scamper up quick. When I'm clipped in at the belay, I've got two free hands and my partner has two free hands, so in my opinion that is the best place to futz with gear. Agree? Disagree?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to avoid clusterfucks, and will spend some time organizing gear which cleaning. If you just throw shit over you it'll impede your motions and can sometimes fuck you by snagging. I like tripled slings, so when the leader extends them, I'll usually triple them up while cleaning. Either way, just do what works for you.

I think the key is keeping the shit organized as you are clipping it to you harness or gear sling, not necessarily breaking it all down. There has been to many time where I have taken people that aren't that experienced having draws double clipped to there harness or slings dangling to far down which impeeds their climbing.

What I do is if the piece is on a long sling, throw the sling over a shoulder and unclip the piece and put it on the gear sling or harness and leaving a single biner on the sling or take the rope biner end and thread through the piece biner and clip loop and and use the piece biner to clip to harness or gear sling. If it is on a draw, clip the biner that is connected to the piece to your harness or gear sling. As you are clipping stuff to your harness or gear sling, keep it organized nuts together, cams together, and draws together. That way when you are at the belay you can organize by groups.

With that said everybody seems to have there own method, that is what works for me.

While it's true that I am relatively inexperienced, I'm not a total newbie. I just think the Newbie Forum happens to be the best place in which to ask such questions. In this case I don't think there is one right answer. It is a matter of personal preference. I wanted to see how various people do things. For example, I would have thought the unruly lummox would be the one to dash up the route and deal with the mess later. So my guess was wrong there.

catbirdseat said:

I would have thought the unruly lummox would be the one to dash up the route and deal with the mess later. So my guess was wrong there.

im bascially lazy. so i see little point in clipping and unclipping gear more than i have to. thats why while i clean gear i put it on my harness the way i prefer it for leading (you know. separate quickdraws. put nuts on one biner. blah blah blah). i get to the belay where my partner hands me the rack and im pretty much ready to go. and i hate getting dangling gear snags. once had a fuckin epic mid-mantle clusterfuck on lead. fuck that shit.

lummox said:

catbirdseat said:

I've heard several people say they "save time" in gear exchanges by organizing gear as they clean it. Does it really save time versus doing it at the belay?

yes. got any other questions that highlight your inexperience? wave.gif

yellaf.gifyellaf.gif Nice one, lummox; you're okay in my book.

catbirdseat said:

I just think the Newbie Forum happens to be the best place in which to ask such questions. In this case I don't think there is one right answer. It is a matter of personal preference. I wanted to see how various people do things.

CBS I agree with the always climb organized concept. I do think that you are right that the newbie forum is the best place for this type question.

I tend to be the fairly organized type. I did for a while climb with someone who liked to scamper up and organize at the swap. That worked for us only in as much as he climbed that way and even if I got there all set he still redid the whole package when I gave it to him. We don't climb together anymore bigdrink.gif but it worked for us when we did it. I think it's faster to hand off the whole lot all set (if your a sling kinda climber) work it out before the climb and go with what works.

BTW with my previous partner it was faster to climb like mad and organize later, I think that was his reorganizing at the exchange not time saved in the climb wink.gif