Ice Guide Update

Jason_Martin

Hey Everybody,

I thought I'd let you know how the ice climbing guidebook is coming along. There are a few things I'd like to let this community know about and a few general questions I have.

To start with, I've taken on a partner for this guidebook project. Alex Krawarik is a great ice climber, excellent researcher, and an all around good guy. He's now co-authoring this book with me.

I've had help from a good chunk of the climbing community. To date, the following people and organizations have been implemental in contributing information:

Erik Snyder, Mark Shipman, Krista Eytchison, Larry Nevers Jr, David Zulinke, Kevin Pogue, Dunham Gooding and the staff of the American Alpine Institute, Dan Smith, Paul Butler and the Staff of Mazama Mountain Guides, Mike Layton, Tim Crawford and the staff of cascadeclimbers.com, Geof Childs, Doug Littauer, Dave Burdock, Brett Bergeron, Darryl Cramer, Rolf Larson, William Robins, Ade Miller, Matt Perkins, Mike Maude, Paul Detrick, Jim Nelson and Greg Muller.

Though we've had a great deal of help, there are still places that we have very little information on. Following is a list of areas where I have info about a few climbs, but know that there are quite a few more out there.

1) Olympic National Park:

No Info.

2) Entiat River Basin:

Info about a few climbs. Primarily the obvious waterfalls.

3) Quincy Wildlife Area:

I have info about two routes on Ancient Lake and one route on Hidden Lake. From what I understand there are up to ten or eleven more routes in the area.

4) North Side of Columbia River near Camus:

During very cold seasons there are a number of routes here. I have a 1993 guidebook by Tim Olson with a little info. However the beta in that guide is slim. If anyone has his email, I'd love to get in touch with him.

Lastly we're interested in stories about unusual formations and ascents. For example there is a story about a couple of guys climbing a smear of ice on Mt. Erie. If you've done any unusual ascents or know of any let us know.

My email is:

j_dougie@yahoo.com

I'll talk to ya' all later,

Jason D. Martin

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic