Why does this board have an alpine slant?

Sphinx

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because...

“I agree with those who say that <ALPINE> climbing is not life. It is much better than that. In <ALPINE> climbing you get nothing other than what you absolutely deserve. It has no skin color, no gender, no rules that matter, and no lawyers, referees, or pushy parents. You can’t get any more or any less out of <ALPINE> climbing than exactly what you put into it. There are no dead ends in climbing, no barriers other than the ones we impose upon ourselves. The blend of skill, boldness, and desire that each route requires is unique unto itself and yet connected to every other route as if within one long and contiguous passage. Life is hard on dreams, harder on dreamers. <ALPINE> Climbing was built for them . For in <ALPINE> climbing success and failure both lead to the same place, to new resolves and new posssibilities. Life should be so good.”

- Geoff Childs

I think this sentiment is more true (whatever the hell that means) to travelling around on the mountains than anything else.

-Mark

Marko said:

Because...

“I agree with those who say that <ALPINE> climbing is not life. It is much better than that. In <ALPINE> climbing you get nothing other than what you absolutely deserve. It has no skin color, no gender, no rules that matter, and no lawyers, referees, or pushy parents. You can’t get any more or any less out of <ALPINE> climbing than exactly what you put into it. There are no dead ends in climbing, no barriers other than the ones we impose upon ourselves. The blend of skill, boldness, and desire that each route requires is unique unto itself and yet connected to every other route as if within one long and contiguous passage. Life is hard on dreams, harder on dreamers. <ALPINE> Climbing was built for them . For in <ALPINE> climbing success and failure both lead to the same place, to new resolves and new posssibilities. Life should be so good.”

- Geoff Childs

I think this sentiment is more true (whatever the hell that means) to travelling around on the mountains than anything else.

-Mark

It's a neat quote, but the assumption that climbing is better than life is complete and total bullshit. Even Twight admits that there are more important things than climbing in this world. Climbing is a self indulgent activity that accompishes nothing and does nothing to change the world.

However, it means a lot to me, and I don't really know why or how. Philosophy is not my strong point, but I know for sure that climbing is not better than life. If it were, nobody would do anything, literally, but climb. And that is certainly not the case.

Another beef: you can certainly get less out than you put into it. You can pour all you've got into it, and then you die. What did you get out of it? Not one hell of a lot.

"There are no dead ends"? I suppose with a drill and a haulbag there aren't. This is just a blue bag of mealy-mouthed palaver.

Nothing against you, Marko, but I've been wanting to say this ever since I read those words. wave.gif

• 1 year later...
reading about rock climbing is boring. " ya I went to smiff and I climbed Jete, and bunny face, drank a bunch of beer screwed my girl friend at the grass lands" yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif rock climbing TR's are just chest beating. I will put a cavat(sp) here. Tex wrote a wonderful TR about his last trip up the nose on el cap. if you can climb and write about it like that, post it where ever the fuck you want wink.gif

please write more TRs about you and your girlfriend laugh.gifsmileysex5.gifwink.gif

Why does this site have an alpine slant? Well, look at where most of us are at guy. The mountains are far more gorgeous than some goddamned roadside crag. It's a great escape from the people that you don't like to see. And how many days out of the year are the crags dry enough for most people the enjoy? It's not that we don't like other types of climbing, it's usually just more worthwhile to focus on alpine in this place.

• 10 months later...