Zeke's

Norsky

Peter_Puget said:

Don't let the negativity bring you down. Truth be told Distel most of the "Alpine"climbing on this site is hard to distinguish from hiking. But still, TRs like Jayb's adventure on Glacier are great to read about because you can get a sense of the spirit of the trip. The same spirit can exist in a 15' boulder ascent, Erden's trip to the north, a Rockies north wall or a Yosemite Big Wall.PP bigdrink.gif

Absurd. Only three of the pursuits mentioned in this dubious equation require precisely the qualities that Ben Bowman suggests allowed him passage on "the Big Ben": guts, skill and determination. I might add that wall climbing and alpine ascents often require a lust for adventure and tolerance for physical suffering.

Bouldering requires only steel fingers and a crowd of pad people, sporting the latest affectation of teen-age hipsters' culture. The adventure and commitment found on the side of a boulder is better equated to playing Game Boy on level 3. Not that bouldering isn't fun......just don't pretend you're on top of Everest when you mantle 10 feet above your little crash pads.

bigdrink.gif

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pope said:

Peter_Puget said:

Don't let the negativity bring you down. Truth be told Distel most of the "Alpine"climbing on this site is hard to distinguish from hiking. But still, TRs like Jayb's adventure on Glacier are great to read about because you can get a sense of the spirit of the trip. The same spirit can exist in a 15' boulder ascent, Erden's trip to the north, a Rockies north wall or a Yosemite Big Wall.PP bigdrink.gif

Absurd. Only three of the pursuits mentioned in this dubious equation require precisely the qualities that Ben Bowman suggests allowed him passage on "the Big Ben": guts, skill and determination. I might add that wall climbing and alpine ascents often require a lust for adventure and tolerance for physical suffering.

Bouldering requires only steel fingers and a crowd of pad people, sporting the latest affectation of teen-age hipsters' culture. The adventure and commitment found on the side of a boulder is better equated to playing Game Boy on level 3. Not that bouldering isn't fun......just don't pretend you're on top of Everest when you mantle 10 feet above your little crash pads.

bigdrink.gif

Typical papal nonsequitors. Not even close to being responsive to my post.

PP bigdrink.gif

pope said:

The adventure and commitment found on the side of a boulder is better equated to playing Game Boy on level 3.

I have a teenager who has been sucked into the game boy world in a big way. His mind and body were milktoast for years. Finally, he is into wakeboarding- an outdoor sport that involves exercise. The improvements are noticable on every level. Bouldering or skateboarding or even diving into a mosh pit is far better than zoning out into a gameboy. Your analogy is poorly thought out. But I think I agree with your point. It seems more appropriate to contrast bouldering and alpine climbing than to compare them.

erik said:

Distel32 said:

What we should do is have a comp, indoor or outdoor, the involves ropes and bouldering. cantfocus.gif

climbing is not about competition. please do not mention this again. remember this board has an alpine slant!!!

yeah, but there are some people on this site who rumr and other strong people should quiet just a little....

Distel32 said:

erik said:

Distel32 said:

What we should do is have a comp, indoor or outdoor, the involves ropes and bouldering. cantfocus.gif

climbing is not about competition. please do not mention this again. remember this board has an alpine slant!!!

yeah, but there are some people on this site who rumr and other strong people should quiet just a little....

confused.gif

now your starting to sound like me!?

• 2 weeks later...

So a couple of us checked out Zeke's and have the following observations / questions.

We pulled into the clear-cut and were psyched cause of the dozens of nice looking boulders. However, upon closer inspection most are strangely devoid of worthy lines. Yes, we found some awesome problems such as that V1ish right to left traverse crack. We also hiked around the two trails and saw a few more good problems. The hike through the clear-cut was a harsh bushwhack that needs trail work (I'll help). Most of the landings are very nasty without loads of pads and spotters.

I'm wondering why aren't there more V3 to V5 type problems? Seems like most are real easy or REAL hard and balsy. I'd love to hear from those who know! thumbs_up.gif

most of the routes that have been cleaned are just above the clearcut in the woods. there are also a bunch of problems about 15 min hike above the cut, but those are not too easy to find.

a lot of the people who have been putting up routes are hardmen. if you want some more routes to your liking bring a brush and have at it.

It was pretty awesome when we found some sweet problems. We were the only climbers there all day on Saturday. Lots of ORV folk givin us the stare. Nice view, close to Seattle. I plan on brushin a few probs off someday.

We did look deep in the woods all the way until the hill levels off into a talus field, but I did not notice any other concentrated areas. Is this further up area above the east or west hiking loop?

Distel,

I'd like to reiterate what others have said. Disregard the negativity.

Most of the people who diss boulderig on this website are Alpine-choss masters who think that the North Cascades encompass the entire universe of climbing (even when the far superior and more impressive Coast Range lies just to the north).

After living in a place where cragging and bouldering are the accepted NORM (UTAH!) and other forms of climbing (mountaineering, alpine rock, water-ice) are either unavailable, or considered less worthy, I've come to the conclusion that most of the people who live in the Northwest are in the national minority when it comes to their preferences.

Bouldering is the future of rock-climbing (along with free ascents of scary aid lines). Whether or not the bitches around here are willing to accept it. And none of them are progressing the sport anyway (and I'm not claiming that I am).

E-rock said:

Distel,

I'd like to reiterate what others have said. Disregard the negativity.

Most of the people who diss boulderig on this website are Alpine-choss masters who think that the North Cascades encompass the entire universe of climbing (even when the far superior and more impressive Coast Range lies just to the north).

After living in a place where cragging and bouldering are the accepted NORM (UTAH!) and other forms of climbing (mountaineering, alpine rock, water-ice) are either unavailable, or considered less worthy, I've come to the conclusion that most of the people who live in the Northwest are in the national minority when it comes to their preferences.

Bouldering is the future of rock-climbing (along with free ascents of scary aid lines). Whether or not the bitches around here are willing to accept it. And none of them are progressing the sport anyway (and I'm not claiming that I am).

PFFFT

there's some great alpine bouldering up in the marmot basin between fortress and chiwawa peaks from trinity... they're about 7 miles up the trail and then a half mile bushwack to get to some great camping with water, right by plenty massive boulders, some with nice crack.

i haven't brought chalk or shoes up there but slogged a few in mountain boots, it'd be worth an extra two days i think.

i'll head in there this fall i think, and shoot some pictures after ropeup...