• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

bunglehead said:

erik said:

bungle

have you heard del's deltron 3030?? it is an amazing album

willstrickland and i traded a year or two ago. he gave me that and i gave him jaye-z unplugged which is another fine album!!!

Yeah, I got Deltron 3030. That is pretty damn good.

"Upgrade you grey matter cuz one day it may matter"

that was sooo 2000 rolleyes.gif

iain said:

Paul Simon: Graceland

Talking Heads: Stop Making Sense

Stevie Wonder: Innervisions

Orbital: In Sides

G/R: Appetite for Destruction

Dave Brubeck: Take Five

The Stone Roses: The Stone Roses

Public Enemy: Fear of A Black Planet

Nine Inch Nails: Pretty Hate Machine

Amon Tobin: Supermodified

iain, have you seen tobin live? i have achance to interview when he was at the comodore ballroom... i love all his albums, from when he was cujo till now with out fom out where... have you heard that one? some good tunes... thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Paul Simon - Graceland, sure, if you only consider his solo output, but the one he'll be most remembered for is one he did with some guy named Garfunkel (no, really, I'm not making this up - that was the guy's name). It was called "Bridge over Troubled Water."

and from the same era:

Carol King - Tapestry

Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young - Deja Vu

Joni Mitchell - Blue

more recently:

Emmylou Harris - Wrecking Ball

Maria Muldaur's latest - Richland Woman Blues - is one of the best albums I've ever heard.

And here's one I'll bet not many have heard of: Henryk Gorecki's Symphony #3 with soprano Dawn Upshaw is unbelievable. Not party music, by any stretch, in fact it's pretty depressing, frankly, but Gawd what an incredible experience.

Peter_Puget said:

Murray - I think the 3rd Symphony has been a top seller in the "classical" (despite not being classical at all) sale group for years.

I first heard about it from a CBC report. Seems it was selling so well in England it made its way into the top 100 on the POP charts, in amongst the Spice Girls and Britney and Shania and all that lot. I bought it just to see what all the fuss was about - first time I listened to it I understood.

The "classical" label is a bit of an anachronism. It seems to refer to any symphonic or choral work, regardless of when it was composed. Although that puts things like Procul Harum's "Conquistador" and "Whiter Shade of Pale" in a bit of a grey area - pop music that was composed to be performed with a full orchestra.

My turntable still works fruit.gif

RobBob said:

...a thread about where bands jump the shark...

I thought so, too, at first, but that's not quite true. Jumping the Shark refers to that moment when it's clear that things have gone off the rails and are now beyond all hope of redemption - Elton John's reworking of "Candle in the Wind" for Princess Diana's funeral was a classic example of shark-jumping, whereas "Good-Bye Yellow Brick Road" including the original ode to Marylin Monroe was clearly his "London Calling".

Just because an artist attained a level of accomplishment at some point, and was subsequently unable to repeat it, doesn't mean they've gone to Hell. Dusty Springfield never quite equalled her "Son of a Preacher Man," and Otis Redding may have peaked with "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" or "House of the Rising Sun," but I don't think either of them ever jumped any sharks.

Leonard Nimoy's rendition of "Proud Mary," on the other hand... hellno3d.gif