So who's with me on being a climbing bum this summer?

rodeo

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pink slips? Pink slips... I'm getting my around May first so I'm salting the money away, get to be a travelling dirtbag for the first time in 7 years. I'm totally looking forward to having a summer free of work constraints, collecting a small amount of unemployment and bombing around the American west in a beat up station wagon, rolling thirty minute spliffs out of Great Basin HG and taking my upcoming unemployment in stride!

Rodeo, did you know that you can transfer your unemployment benefits out of state? Could be a great chance to get to know whatever part of the country you dream about. When I used to work construction getting laid off was routine. That's when I'd transfer my benefits to Palm Springs and live in JTree or Merced and live in the Valley. All you need is a post office box. Paid vacation for six months and then you can return to work.

Charlie, that was astoundingly immature. I'm going to forward it to your mother and then you'll be grounded.

When I was a new little miss thing climber the first thing I did is go find myself as many other new little miss and mr things to learn with, and climb with indoors and out. At first I climbed a lot inside because I didn't have any gear and it was winter. Then I learned to lead and got a rope. I tried to mimimize my impact on the more experienced climbers I knew by not climbing with them too much. Climbing with newbies, esp if they don't lead, really SUCKS. HodiddleyHUM.

Two things to get immediately: a rope. They wear out quickly. They are expensive. Thing #2 is leading skills. I'm just talking sport to start with, and most people I know don't mind lending you QDs until you get a dozen or so.

Good luck, and don't play the gender card.

If we find out you are a troll, things will get worse...so hopefully you are a real girl. Good luck.

quote:

Originally posted by alicia:
Hey Rodeo and all-New to this site, new to climbing. I'm planning on hitting the road from May-Aug. Like to do a traveling/climbing/hiking/roadtrip bonanza. Looking for other climbers who are: A)better than me, B) have gear, gas $. I have a harness, shoes, bag, and kick-ass RELIABLE Trooper.I want to start climbing with people over the next couple months, get to know 'em, etc. before hitting the road. Like to go to Bend, Yosemite, maybe the Tetons, Banff. Wherever, as long as it's gorgeous and sunny. More of a cider girl myself, though.
wink.gif" border="0
Good to hear feedback on places to visit!

Barf!

There ain't no free rides around here sweetie. One of these silent lurking types will probably IM you-be all nice, tell you about how great he is and how many places he's been. Then he'll sketch up some 5.6 and wanna get in your pants. Have fun....join the mountaineers...I heard their hiring gumbies.

Okay, there's something here I'm not getting. The buddy's I've been climbing with all have girlfriends who don't want them taking off for the summer, so I'm trying to find other people to climb with and maybe travel with this summer. It's cheaper and more fun. Big deal. There's plenty of people looking for people to climb with on this site. But because I'm female there's a problem?

I'm used to wading through the sexist bullshit. I had to do it when I started landscaping, I had to do it when I took Kung Fu, I had to do it when I went hitchiking around Mexico, BY MYSELF. Usually after the initial cracks a couple cool people show up, and it's all good. What's the deal kids, can we get over sexuality? For all you know I'm a babyboomer and 40 lbs. over weight.

You were all beginners once. You had people haul yer ass up a mountain until you figured it out. What's the deal?

quote:

Originally posted by specialed:
Its not sexism. CC.com is full of equal opportunity assholes. You get shit regardless of who you are. Climbers just aren't right in the head, if you haven't already realized.

i know i have left my head for a happier place, a place where happiness is......

Ahh shit, you had to play the "sexist" card. I was just about to tell you that quite a few of us will be in-res in the valley from mid May-Aug, and would probably be happy to take you out on something for a day if you're in the area.

The meat of the issue, IMO, is this:

You are inexperienced. You want to go on a long trip and climb. Most climbers I know are usually happy enough to take newbies climbing occasionally, after all we had to rely on more experienced people to some degree at one time. But, to essentially guide someone for several months, is not an attractive proposition to my circle of climbing friends. When I was in your situation, I found someone of similar abilities and went to do what we could safely...primarily a few weeks on the road consisting of TR-ing and bouldering, and occasionally following a pitch someone else led or leading some way easy stuff (I'm talking 4th class and 5.2). That way, we both got strong, got experience, saw alot of cool areas, and there was no "charity" involved.

Nobody here (ok, almost nobody) will give you shit about wanting to learn or about simply being a female climber. It's the prospect of a 3 month charity case that people wonder about.

Willstrickland: nice analysis. I would say that there are a number of dorks here that seem to express insecurities in the form of sexist (note I'm not talking about sexual) comments.

Alicia: I did a trip this spring by myself, half without a car, and i did al much climbingas I cared to. If you go to red rocks, Jtree, yose, any of the destination areas, and are bold asking around for partners, you'll climbas much as you want. And being semi-solo has some major benifits. It's nice not having to make decisions as a group, you can keep a lower profile when ness., and your long-term schedule need only be one day! Have fun.

Well, there is a newbie section to this board, that might be a place to start. There's another site with a national focus, and alot more users called (i think) rockclimbing.com. That might get you some contacts. I'd be suprised if you don't get some personal messages from users of this board offering to take you out as well.

Some areas are more conducive to finding willing experienced people than others. Yos is pretty easy usually. Posting a note on the Camp 4 bulletin board might find you someone willing to lead you up an easier classic. Just hanging out and meeting people seems to be the easiest way to find a contact like that, I found partners for Lurking Fear right in my own campsite. Found partners for the Lost Arrow (who didn't speak more than about 10 words of english) in the site directly across from us. There are usually some dirtbags climbing bums desperate for a belay at any area who will take you up something in exchange for belays. They're easy to spot too. Only caution I have is to be completely honest when talking with a potential partner/leader in regard to your abilities, misrepresenting that could get you both into a bad situation.