So who's with me on being a climbing bum this summer?

rodeo

Got pink slip? I did last week so I am now faced with a few choices. The most monumental being do I A. find another job as a systems admin type dude or B. when the work runs out in April, just kind of look for work so that the Unenjoyment Ins keeps rollin' in while I tick off a few good trips to Smith and JT?Hmmmmm??? decisions, decisions. Any input from the veteran CB's out there?

(--Climb on,,,

There is always the pursuit of [big Drink] and [chubit]cool.gif" border="0

[ 02-14-2002: Message edited by: rodeo ]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by Charlie:
P.S- I'll probably be heading down there this summer, as I am graduating next quarter, bbbbeeeeeeeeoooooottttttccccccccchhhhhhhh
shocked.gif" border="0

wow 9 years in the making.....charlie are you sure you are ready to return to the real world???? it is really scary outhere.

i mean there are expectations and shit....

I would highly recommend the climbing bum lifestyle. After almost 4 years of on and off bumming (mostly on)I am a much healthier person. Not to mention a much stronger climber.

If you need any pointers on how to live like a king but look like a bum locate me when you are in yosemite. I head down there the middle of April and will be there till October.

I can introduce you to the "Malt Liquor makes you climb way sicker" way of thinking. [big Drink]

I believe Charlie also knows all about this.

quote:

Originally posted by rodeo:
Cool.
cool.gif" border="0
Lots of support from my brethren with some CB experience.

So what if I wuss out and decide to try and find a job. Any of you folks in cubeville know of anyone looking for sys admin types?

(--Climb on,,,

Sorry, we just laid off 1 of our sys admins a couple of weeks ago. The same week I was going to ask for more time off for climbing. I think I will wait a while before I ask.

I have been dreaming of the bumming lifestyle, but can't commit to it. I did a climbing roadtrip from ohio to seattle for 2 1/2 months, ran out of money so I had to get a job and here I am now. I miss the wandering days.....day dreaming... wink.gif" border="0

The Valley is only good in the spring thru fall.

Surprisingly, that's also the best time for Coast Mtns alpine climbing

I never been to the Valley yet. No ripoffs, no bears in da car, no crowded lines, no rangers wit attitude, no overpriced deli, no poser scene, no shit bags flying down and smacking you onna head. Man I guess I have to hit the Ditch sometime I seem to be missing out on a LOT! rolleyes.gif" border="0

You know Dru, my gripes are basically the same, add the loud ass "green dragon" tour bus gapers and you got me covered. But, ten minute approach to 3000ft granite wall...can't beat that. To avoid ripoffs, take a padlock and lock shit up in a bear box. Don't want bears in the car, don't leave food/shampoo/toothpaste or anything else smelly in there. Deli prices really aren't that bad, especially when you figure in all the free crap you finagle there, or if you make a friend who works there early in the season... "hmmm, I seem to have made an extra sandwich...hey you want an extra, no charge?" Worried about mud-falcons? Climb something steep. Posers? They're everywhere, 'cept maybe back in BFE where you're climbing.

quote:

Originally posted by Dru:
The Valley is only good in the spring thru fall.

Surprisingly, that's also the best time for Coast Mtns alpine climbing

I never been to the Valley yet. No ripoffs, no bears in da car, no crowded lines, no rangers wit attitude, no overpriced deli, no poser scene, no shit bags flying down and smacking you onna head. Man I guess I have to hit the Ditch sometime I seem to be missing out on a LOT!
rolleyes.gif" border="0

Nothing you can't avoid, and if you haven't been there, you don't know what you're missing.There is some killer shit to do there. The left side of the Apron for example. I bet you'd have the place to yourself.

quit bitchin bout the touron they have as much right to be there as you do, maybe even more if you sneak in and out at night.....

we are all the problem and if i hear one comment about how climbers respect the earth better, then fuck you never seen the truth......only people who belong in the valley were killed by our white brethen....

we are all wastoids

now that i got that off my chest...you have many options...but realistically cali id your best bet from north to south they got it all....plus sunshine......

Rodeo,

I was kinda in your situation about a year ago and I took 10 1/2 moths off work and did the climbing bum thing. I would consider it as one of the better times of my life. The experiences and people I got to meet were awesome. Now starting week 2 of life in cubeville and going back to school I look back at what I have learned about life and smile. Its time to make some cash and gain knowledge but soon I'll be on the road again. Go and have fun. Life is to short!