Water purification?

bunglehead

A couple years ago I did an Outward Bound trip and we were given iodine solution in a little dropper bottle. It was super-convenient. No need to wait for pills to dissolve, just drop in 5 drops, shake up the bottle, and wait a while for the iodine to work.

Does anybody know where to get iodine solution? I haven't seen it sold anywhere.

The book "Medicine for Mountaineering" tells you how to make your own. Get some crystalline iodine and some high proof alcohol and a teensy dropper bottle and you are good to go. Apparently alcohol allows more iodine to remain in solution so the drops can be more concentrated when you drop them into your water. Also, the alcohol allows it to dissolve even it is colder, unlike the tablets which get stubborn in the cold.

I used for a trip to Nepal, and I think I remember doing the whole trip on one little bottle, so it is pretty compact.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talk sense everybody.... Read this highly authoritative link that supports my view that water purification is pointless!!!

http://www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/pcs/articles/giardia.asp

"From the beginning, the conclusions have always been that “the Giardia problem” in the High Sierra and elsewhere is grossly exaggerated, and that virtually all of the few cases of giardiasis subsequent to wilderness visits are wrongly blamed on the water. After incorporating the most recent information, those prior conclusions are not only still valid but also considerably reinforced."

Talk sense everybody.... Read this highly authoritative link that supports my view that water purification is pointless!!!

http://www.lomaprieta.sierraclub.org/pcs/articles/giardia.asp

"From the beginning, the conclusions have always been that “the Giardia problem” in the High Sierra and elsewhere is grossly exaggerated, and that virtually all of the few cases of giardiasis subsequent to wilderness visits are wrongly blamed on the water. After incorporating the most recent information, those prior conclusions are not only still valid but also considerably reinforced."

Gee

"one would have to consume over nine liters of water to have a 50 percent chance of ingesting 10 or more cysts."

9 liters. I drink that in a day and a half. Now I feel secure rolleyes.gif

Is this the part you're referring to?

"Taking the highest concentration measured in the Sierra (0.108), we can make some calculations. The probability[iv] of finding 10 or more cysts in a liter of water—to have at least a one-third chance of contract­ing giardiasis—is about 10-17. Ten cysts in 10 liters of water, about 10-7. In fact, one would have to drink over 89 liters to have a 50 percent probability of ingesting 10 or more cysts."

I have heard what john is saying that most cases in 1st world countries are a result of poor sanitary conditions in the back country. Think the last time time you took a dump and the went ahead and made some breakfast with only a slight washing of the hand, or handled your spoon? Just cuz your finger doesn't smell doesn't mean it ain't tainted. I still purify water in heavily used areas because think of all the snow that has been used to clean.

I have also drank from snow creek several times and have never felt any adverse affects.

Is this the part you're referring to?

"Taking the highest concentration measured in the Sierra (0.108), we can make some calculations. The probability[iv] of finding 10 or more cysts in a liter of water—to have at least a one-third chance of contract­ing giardiasis—is about 10-17. Ten cysts in 10 liters of water, about 10-7. In fact, one would have to drink over 89 liters to have a 50 percent probability of ingesting 10 or more cysts."

No, the section I'm referring to was discussing water quality outside the Sierra Nevada(which is where the Cascades are), where concentrations can reach 1 cyst/L

only 40% of ppl who get giardia will ever get symptoms

the rest can carry it and pass it on without ever getting sick.

if you know you are a carrier why bother treating?

the only ppl who get sick from crypto are those with very weak immune systems eg infants, HIV+, the elderly, transplant patients with immune suppression, etc if you dont fall into these categories don't worry.

The waterborne health risk you should be most worried about is fecal coliforms. Not giardia or crypto. Don't drink downstream from the toilets.

I spent a week-long tent-camp in April of '72 on large river in upstate Maine. A fellow came down with nausea & fever ?later diagnosis of hepatitis. We were drinking right from the Mighty River, like most of the poor folk in the region did all their lives.... That said, I don't like pills or filters & don't need -em. (see research link.)

_____

sure, but the point is - if you know you are a carrier, you don't have to treat the water you drink. just watch where you shit. Giardia spread 20 years ago, it is found at low levels pretty much everywhere in the backcountry these days already, and animals continue to spread it.... got blue shit bags for every bear? no?

I'm talking about having one less G-infected poop occur every time they go after being treated and getting rid of the G.

You arent even making much sense here, why is their shit infectious after they have been treated?

anyways as long as they don't shit in your filter or platypus hose (backcountry enema?? blush.gif ) you should be fine.