upper back muscle pain

Sometimes I get muscle pain around the most prominent vertebrae at the base of my neck. I get no hand numbness, or anything, so I figure it's not a disc problem. The pain seems concentrated on the upper part of the vertebrae, and seems like a muscle attachment problem. This causes further neck stiffness.

Can anyone recommend exercises, or anything else, to remedy, or prevent this?

Thanks.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coopah said:

Could be your pillow??

Well, a thin pillow helps when I'm hurting. But the pain itself is most often caused by strain, not unalignment. I have triggerd the pain with long weight-lifting sessions where I concentrate on shoulder exercises. I perform military press, lateral raise, and reverse fly. I also do cable rows with different grip positions and widths which work the mnuscles in the area. I'm wondering if another exercise might prevent the problem. Shoulder shrugs, or something else?

With regard to yoga, I have done sun salutations astanga style in the past, and probably should start again.

freeclimb9 said:I have triggerd the pain with long weight-lifting sessions where I concentrate on shoulder exercises. I perform military press, lateral raise, and reverse fly. I also do cable rows with different grip positions and widths which work the mnuscles in the area. I'm wondering if another exercise might prevent the problem. Shoulder shrugs, or something else?
I found that shoulder shrugs helped reduce back issues while in a weight lifting program.

Attitude said:

freeclimb9 said:I have triggerd the pain with long weight-lifting sessions where I concentrate on shoulder exercises. I perform military press, lateral raise, and reverse fly. I also do cable rows with different grip positions and widths which work the mnuscles in the area. I'm wondering if another exercise might prevent the problem. Shoulder shrugs, or something else?
I found that shoulder shrugs helped reduce back issues while in a weight lifting program.

also dont neglect the front... if your muscles are imbalanced, you will have troubles... when i was in track, my abs were too strong and i have to do back extensions to even it out... i suppose it is possible you have the reverse affliction... confused.gif

It sounds a little like it may be your trapezius muscles, in which case try several of the stretches shown here: http://www.bodyresults.com/E2keystiff.asp -- particularly the first one pictured. You may also benefit from upright rows (otherwise referred to as high pulls) with band, barbell or dumbbells, or shrugs. Yoga can help, if you find the right pose (focus on those that open up through the chest and shoulders, such as triangle pose and warrior 1-2, crescent) -- and if you're in the market for a good video or DVD for home instruction smile.gif , I might suggest Karen Voight's Yoga Sculpt or Yoga Focus (both available at http://www.bodyresults.com). She's a great instructor and I love both of these DVD's.

At the gym this afternoon I decided to try it all. Shrugs, upright rows, and some yoga positions. The shrugs felt great as did hand stands; A spreading warmth from the pained area resulted. Is this some chakra release?

Thanks for being a sounding board and for the suggestions. thumbs_up.gif