Half bags

Timcb

So in the WM Megalite post, Ice Ice proposed using the FF Vireo in conjunction with your warm jacket as your standard alpine sleeping bag. I've been giving this some real thought and love the idea of carrying only a small 1 lb bag and putting to use all the other insulating layers I've carried up anyway.

Anyone out there have any experience with this system (either with the vireo or with Nunatak's Akula or other similar half bag)? under what circumstances has it kept you warm/left you shivering?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

in the summer i dont even bring a sleeping bag...i got a micro little deal that works well enough with my clothes.

in the winter i carry a lighter synth bag and sup with my synth jacket.

usually have a bivi or a betamid or a blue tarp to keep me sheltered.

straight out the half bag is drafty. and way the fuck expensive to buy new. i suggest chopping up a shitty bag from goodwill or one that got tore up already. then test it out yourself. more important than weight the half bag packs down real small. especially since you dont need a zipper.

I figure though, that almost all of my usage will either be in a tent or a bivy, so I'm hopeful that drafts aren't a problem..

and even so, I'm not thinking about cutting it too close with the length of the "half." I'm thinking most of the way up my chest. I guess the real breakthrough is really in carrying a very light summer bag and always counting on sleeping in my down jacket.

I like that idea about cutting up an older bag.. maybe I'll give that a shot

I went with the 160z full bag from WM (highlight, megalite, whatever it's called...it's the purple one) I thought for the wegiht a light full back was better than the half bag for 2 reasons. One, the half bag doesn't keep out drafts very well. Two, I like the feeling of having the full back around me if it's a bit on the cold side. It feels nicer being able to tuck your head and arms into it. I can go pretty cold with that bag plus my cloghes. personally, the verio seemed pretty pointless with me. If it's warm enough for a halfbag, I dont think I'd bring a bag at all. My 2 cents.

I have a half bag and use it occasionally. It does have a draw cord and it is wind proof. I originally got it for wall nights.

I would use it more often but it is a rare case that a very light bag will be enough at the same time that you need a full on parka during the day. If you don't really need a parka for the non bivy part of the trip then you are much heavier with Half-sack + parka than you would be with light full bag and a moderate insulating layer. Definately include your climbing clothes as part of your sleeping insulation.... Free weight and (if you are not using some stupid combination that won't breath or you sweat in) your clothes will dry while you sleep.

rbw1966 said:

Thats never worked for me. I perspire a lot when I sleep. If I remain fully clothed the vapor can't escape fast enough to keep me dry.

Rob, I have had the same problem only if I am warm or are using coated bags. With uncoated bags and non cozy warm bags for the temps I have had really dry cloths in the AM. I Think the worst for transporting moisture is the Gore sleeping bag product ( I forget the name) Particularly below freezing.

Timcb,

I've got a 14 oz. up-to-the-neck Vireo with drawstring that I pretty much like. With a sweater, balaclava, and a light shell the bag works good enough for a high pressure summer trip. If I expect heavy dew or fog/mist I'll bring the Endurance bivy sack also. While I'm satisfied with the bag, I'm always jonesin' for a hooded bag when I'm in the thing. I do sleep colder than most of my partners though, so the hoodless thing might not be too bad for you.

And the thing packs down to zilcho!

Cheers,

Mark

rbw1966 said:

How about trimming a sleeping bag down and stitching in a draw cord to prevent drafts?

Thoughts?

it have all of that

When I borrow my friend half bag (it was a chest high on me) couple with my Arc’teryx belay parka (forgot the name) inside the bivi sack kept me very comfy at 20 degrees NE late fall/early winter windy night

Here's an alternative to consider: instead of the half-bag, get a pair of insulated pants (e.g. GoLite "Full Moon" pants) and a pair of down booties. That makes it easier to get up and move around (prepare breakfast, etc.) in the early morning w/o freezing your ass off.

-Josh

I have a Vireo and it's definitely warm enough to use on a stand-alone basis in the summer if you bring a hat and your light insulating stuff, ditto for early-fall late spring with a parka.

It's so light that I bring it along in the pack for unplanned epics while volcano slogging and don't even sweat it.