Partner needed on Mt Adams 9/13-14

gohawks

Two of us are planning to climb Mt Adams on 9/13-14, and are looking for a third partner. We haven't decided on a route yet, but we'd like to do one of the easier glaciers (perhaps Mazama). We both have glacier experience and crevasse rescue skills.

PM me if interested.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Define "absolute newbie". You mean someone who doesn't even know how to tie to a rope?

We want someone who at least knows basic glacier travel skills, such as tieing to a rope for glacier travel, using crampons, prusiking out of a crevasse, Z-pulley, etc.

Not to downplay this beautiful route, but unless it snows before your climb, your chances of falling into a hidden crevasse on the Mazama Glacier in September are almost zero. The climb is very straightforward in good weather, and you may be overestimating it just a bit.

I'll bet it's getting a bit icy in spots though.

Just my two cint.

Pencil_Pusher said:

I have literally seen a dog on the summit, that ascended via the south route. Even have a photo, but no scanner nor knowledge of how to post the photo...

Hey, my Husky climbed Avalache Glacier with us. Then descented the south spur. He had a harness and I tied him off on a twenty foot line. He caught on real quick that he could just put a little weight on the rope, then paw straight down the slope.

Is it really that easy?

Yes. All three of my dogs have made the summit of Mt. Adams, including my arthitic old mutt. My wife (who is not any kind of athlete) climbed car-to-car in a little over 10 hours. Adams South Side is not really much harder than St. Helens, and probably a little easier than the CD route on Baker. My dogs have done all three. Now I've got to figure out a way to sneak them into MRNP....