Vasque Alpine GTX

skyclimb

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a pair for the past 3 yrs and put quite a few miles on them. The sole has some flexibility

Pro. The leather has softened up enough that the ankle is flexible for Freedom technique on ice. I've front pointed with them as well using hinged crampons (strap-ons). The sole has some flexibility which is good for downhill hiking for me. They are wider in the toebox and come in a wide width as well.

Con. There is no rubber rand over the toe so the leather in that area has gotten chewed up by scree. The stitching on the heel is coming apart. my orthotics have chewed up the Goretex liner.

I still use them for dry trips as they are comfy, but I bought a pair of Solomons to replace them for slogs and rainy day trips.

Well, I'm a girrrl, so this may not be worth much to you wink.gif, but I actually just returned my pair of Vasque Alpine GTX after owning them for a year. I had and loved a pair of Vasque Superhikers until I bought the GTXs. Wore the Superhikers out. The GTX is a solid, heavy, full-length steel shank boot. It doesn't move. It was very comfortable in the store and just hanging around the office, trying to wear them in, but once on the trail for a long day or several days, my feet never got used to them. Both my feet would either go numb or have sharp pains shooting through them, which is annoying but not nearly as difficult to deal with as blisters, which was the main reason I returned them. After a year of use, my feet were still getting shredded. ?? Maybe it's just my feet. I put insoles in the boots for more cushion. Nothing seemed to help. Granted, I was using these for backpacking primarily.

My 2 cents.

• 2 weeks later...