Party balloon carcasses in the Cascades

Jonathan

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fence_Sitter said:yeah it is difference when you are forced to buy a $1200 truck (me) and when you buy a $60,000 SUV which gets the same gas mileage as my truck which i use for work rolleyes.gif i get better gas mileage than new SUVs thanks to my distributer-less ignition (on a 82 f-250). so scram yuppie. tongue.gifthumbs_down.gifwave.gif

But can you watch DVD's in your pickup? Huh?! Can You?

I've only found two balloon carcasses so far. I must not get out enough.

None of you dissing SUVs better use an old Jet Ski or snowmobile or outboard motor or other 2 stroke that burns oily gas. They pollute about 100 times more per mile than an SUV.

The above is not intended as a defense of SUVs, which are a disgusting symptom of the generally wretched excesses of overconsumption and ego which this country represents.

Norman_Clyde said:

I've only found two balloon carcasses so far. I must not get out enough.

None of you dissing SUVs better use an old Jet Ski or snowmobile or outboard motor or other 2 stroke that burns oily gas. They pollute about 100 times more per mile than an SUV.

The above is not intended as a defense of SUVs, which are a disgusting symptom of the generally wretched excesses of overconsumption and ego which this country represents.

nope... 90% pedal power... 10% 351W grin.gif

you guys dont bring helium balloons on ten foot strings to tie to the top of your wands? I thought that's what they taught me back when I was a mountie!cantfocus.gif

...and I wouldn't be picking up any of these "party " baloons unless you know for sure they're the generally inflatable round ones....

sorry... all them balloons are my fault... i am busy huffin NO2 on my way up... got addicted after i got hooked up with a fraudulent dentist... too many fillings... way too much NOZ... fruit.gif speaking of which... anyone want some hook-ups on some ahem goodies... lemme know... it'll cost ya! wink.gif

just kiddin' THEY ARE MINE! evils3d.gif

MIY PREEEEESIIIIOOUUUUUUSSSSS! evils3d.gif

Fence_Sitter said:

sorry... all them balloons are my fault... i am busy huffin NO2 on my way up... got addicted after i got hooked up with a fraudulent dentist... too many fillings... way too much NOZ... fruit.gif speaking of which... anyone want some hook-ups on some ahem goodies... lemme know... it'll cost ya! wink.gif

just kiddin' THEY ARE MINE! evils3d.gif

MIY PREEEEESIIIIOOUUUUUUSSSSS! evils3d.gif

http://www.lordoftherings.net/legend/gallery/images/gollum/gollum4.jpg

Norman_Clyde said:

Perception - it's all in the marketing of the SUV. The auto industry is really bad about creating images that promote these stereotypes. Look at the typical SUV commercial - some fun hog tearing up the side of a mountain or up a ski slope without regard for anyone or anything. I ask you to consider the minivan - the icon of family, motherhood, and apple pie. Why is my SUV bad when its gas mileage is the same as the typical minivan, seats five comfortably and hauls gear, yet where is the outcry on the minivan? Attack this icon of familidom? That would be anti-American! shocked.gif Flame suit on! Have at it!

If everyone who owned a "Sport Utility Vehicle" used them for sporting purposes then there might not be an issue from a stereotypical waste standpoint. Heck, if even 50% of owners used their SUV for sport purposes this would be enough. But, likely, the percentage of SUV owners who actually use their SUV for sport purposes (off-road, 4-wheel driving, etc.) enough to warrant having one at all is about 10%. Nope, most own them because they want to feel big and get "what everyone else is getting." And the automobile companies are (successfully) marketing them to these types of people because they know the average joe and jane "want what everyone else wants."

Concerning the Hummer, I have yet to see one of these humdingers off of a paved road (short gravel roads and driveways notwithstanding). A vehicle like that would be good for off-road or off-paved-road travel, but they're so expensive that the owners don't want to risk diminishing their value by scratching or denting them up. There is simply no ecological or ergonomic justification for owning a Hummer. All Hummer owners own them for sociological reasons: "Look at me, I must be a bad ass because I drive a Hummer. I only drive it in the city where it's a bitch to parallel park, but I feel like everyone's looking at me and envious when I step out of it in town. And when I'm driving it, I like that feeling of being big and huge and capable of squashing a Toyota Tercel if I want to." Heaven forbid if you are unlucky enough to be ahead of one of these guys when they fail to stop in time--tread marks up and over the smashed roof of the small car it ran over.

My rant for the day. Thank you and good afternoon.

MounTAIN_Woman said:

Norman_Clyde said:

Perception - it's all in the marketing of the SUV. The auto industry is really bad about creating images that promote these stereotypes. Look at the typical SUV commercial - some fun hog tearing up the side of a mountain or up a ski slope without regard for anyone or anything. I ask you to consider the minivan - the icon of family, motherhood, and apple pie. Why is my SUV bad when its gas mileage is the same as the typical minivan, seats five comfortably and hauls gear, yet where is the outcry on the minivan? Attack this icon of familidom? That would be anti-American! shocked.gif Flame suit on! Have at it!

I hate to start up the SUV fight again, but if you think your SUV (which one is it, BTW)'s milage is the same as an average minivan, your an idiot. Your SUV is also allowed to meet truck safety, fuel economy and crash standards. The minivan has to meet the same standards as a car, which are far higher. I've almost just come to accept the SUV thing as a joke. I don't care if people buy them, I just feel bad that they are such lousy consumers to pay more for less.

MounTAIN_Woman said:

I ask you to consider the minivan - the icon of family, motherhood, and apple pie. Why is my SUV bad when its gas mileage is the same as the typical minivan....

I have a minivan. Toyota Sienna. It averages around 26mpg.

What does your SUV get?

My, this topic certainly has ballooned!

Well, I have to admit, I'm very fond of my current SUV. It boasts great fuel economy and is easy to park. I can perform most maintenance tasks myself. Admittedly, I use it primarily in town, but Seattle streets aren't in the best of shape. And, being nearsighted and somewhat night-blind, after a night at the pub, I appreciate the wider tires and lower stance. It still does get out into the hills now and then. I like to save my fancier vehicles for summer days and smoother roads.

My SUV: an old Bridgestone MB-3, my Sport Utility Velocipede.

(OK, OK, I also own and drive a car, an venerable '81 Corolla with 275k+ on it. 300k here I come!)

Jonathan Pryce

• 2 months later...

So there I was sitting on the summit of Mt. Defiance minding my own business when in my upper periphery I caught sight of something large and dark. As I inclined my eyes upwards I figured it was an eagle soaring overhead. Focusing on the object, I saw it wasn't an eagle at all. Nope, it was something entirely more out of place in the mountains. When I first saw it, it was about 100 feet above me and slightly out in front of me. It plummeted slowly to the ground. I rushed to get my camera out in time to photograph it. Blast! It's too small to effectively focus on with autofocus. Hurry! Hurry up and set the camera to manual focus. Quick! It's going to fall below the horizontal skyline and no longer be visible....CLICK!...snapped the photo just in time though it didn't come out as well as I had hoped.

What was it?

Can't say from the picture. When I was a kid and didn't know better we used to make stuff like that. We would take a garbage bag or dry cleaners bag, to the open end we would suspend a metal can lid from a couple strings. After that a couple waves and it was full of air, add some spoons full of sterno and a match. They would sail off into the sunset. We always had visions of the UFO sightings that we were creating.

On the other hand it just might be men from Mars. cool.gif

• 6 months later...