Party balloon carcasses in the Cascades

Jonathan

While perhaps not "important to NW climbing," and hence not germane to this forum, does it appear these are on the increase?

Seems on just about every trip nowadays one encounters the rubbery, entrail-like remnants of party balloons, presumably the tattered remains of urban soirées. More proof, I suppose, that the generation of petroleum-based waste characterizes most human interaction in industrial societies. Certainly some of my more, ah, er, pleasurable moments have been so marked. Below locations of more or less recent finds and inconsistent shorthand attempts to further pinpoint. The tally is not at all inclusive.

* West ridge of Kaleetan Peak, between Kaleetan Peak and Lower Tuscohatchie Lake--Kaleetan Lake Trail.

* Just S of Genesis Peak, Prophet Range

* Outlet of Triad Lake, near High Pass, Suiattle Drainage

* Louis Creek pumice fields, Upper Louis Creek in the Napeequa Drainage

* Upper Dot Lake, just S. of Ptarmigan Peak in the Pasayten

* White Rock Lakes, Ptarmigan Traverse

* Near Cub Lake, Ptarmigan Traverse (Actually observed balloon descend to terra firma)

* En route to the NE Ridge of Black Peak, near Wing Lake

Jonathan Pryce

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I saw balloon entrails was on the west side of Malachite Peak in May 1994. I was in the middle of nowhere taking a break and there it was, this unnaturally colored thing on the ground in front of me. I thought it was a fluke. I even picked it up and took it home to "show some friends."

In the next couple of years after that I continued to see them, maybe one or two a year, thus making it seem less and less like a fluke.

Now, in the last few years, I average seeing about one per hike/climb in the Cascades. Of course, I am climbing more now than I was 7 years ago, so the chances of seeing the popped balloons are greater in that regard. Still, though, I do wonder whether or not these balloons are becoming more popular in the Puget Sound at fairs and the like. It's not like I'm going out specifically searching for them.

Balloon entrails are becoming a serious litter problem in the mountains. thumbs_down.gif

Lummox: where in my post is this supposed "proof" that I'm a fucking wanker who hates kids? All I said is that the litter is becoming a serious problem in the mountains. I offered no solution such as banning them from fairs, etc. It was you who made the assumption and suggestion.

Reading for comprehension. Give it a try, bub. rolleyes.gif

Early last summer I was trying to find the way into Boot Lake in the Sisters Range from the East side. On the way back I saw something bright blue in the bushes down in a gulley by a creek. I thought I should check it out because it resembled a jacket from a distance and could have been a body or something. I wacked through neddles and forded the small creek to find......a party balloon. Oh well. crazy.gif

Jonathan said:

More proof, I suppose, that the generation of petroleum-based waste characterizes most human interaction in industrial societies.

guess what? balloons are made from latex. from trees wouldnt ya know.

whynt ya go tell some little kids the tooth fairy got his ass kicked by santa claus so santa went to jail and they aint getting no tooth money and no presents anymore.

and dont forget to mention that ice cream will make em even fatter ya fucking killjoy.

snoboy said:

more and more balloons are made from mylar, and I don't think that stuff grows in trees. rolleyes.gif"

mushsmile.gif

Ya, I have found the mylar stuff more than latex balloons except in certain parking lots where it seems that climbers, hikers etc. practice safe sex and deposit the "personal" party balloons on the ground. Where upon little kids seeing this items ask mommy and daddy, "Look at those funny balloons, can we get some of those?"

No all kidding aside, this is more of a problem in the marine environment. Apparently certain species of marine critters think these balloons are edible and end up dying because of it.

Alas, we are short sighted and that is why we will go out like the dinosaur.

Jonathan said:

Below locations of more or less recent finds and inconsistent shorthand attempts to further pinpoint. The tally is not at all inclusive.

* West ridge of Kaleetan Peak, between Kaleetan Peak and Lower Tuscohatchie Lake--Kaleetan Lake Trail.

* Just S of Genesis Peak, Prophet Range

* Outlet of Triad Lake, near High Pass, Suiattle Drainage

* Louis Creek pumice fields, Upper Louis Creek in the Napeequa Drainage

* Upper Dot Lake, just S. of Ptarmigan Peak in the Pasayten

* White Rock Lakes, Ptarmigan Traverse

* Near Cub Lake, Ptarmigan Traverse (Actually observed balloon descend to terra firma)

* En route to the NE Ridge of Black Peak, near Wing Lake

Jonathan Pryce

I remember being a little dismayed last year to find one about two miles up the Bachelor Creek trail. confused.gif

That was no party...

-t

vegetablebelay said:

Fuck you commies who think you know what's good for someone else to drive.

naw... its great for them to drive it... then they flatten us and dont even scratch their cars or themselves.... they are $35,000 in debt so who the fuck cares about an extra $30 at the pump here or there... just a drop in the bucket. and about that environment thing... that was so early 90's anyways i will be dead before the ozone is gone anyways.... pshaw pitty.gif

I've got a nice picture of me on the summit of Maude in June with a string of three purple baloons which drifted in while we were on the summit. They're cute when still alive, but do become junk. I've picked up a number of both rubber and mylar baloons over the years, they're everywhere. At least the rubber ones will rot away in a while. Mylar lasts...? A long time.

I found quite the carcass Saturday near the "tree fence" on Main Cowlitz Chimney. It had ribbon streamers on it, burgundy and white, and the balloon was white. Definitely a party balloon, and quite possibly from a wedding. I pack them out, and I have a small collection going now, some shiny red and blue mylar balloons. I wish I could remember where I got some of them now. I'm sure there is one from the North Cascades. BTW, if you want to blame a vehicle for pollution and smog, blame the diesel fuel burners and the old cars with burning oil coming out their tailpipes.

MounTAIN_Woman said:

I found quite the carcass Saturday near the "tree fence" on Main Cowlitz Chimney. It had ribbon streamers on it, burgundy and white, and the balloon was white. Definitely a party balloon, and quite possibly from a wedding. I pack them out, and I have a small collection going now, some shiny red and blue mylar balloons. I wish I could remember where I got some of them now. I'm sure there is one from the North Cascades. BTW, if you want to blame a vehicle for pollution and smog, blame the diesel fuel burners and the old cars with burning oil coming out their tailpipes.

yeah it is difference when you are forced to buy a $1200 truck (me) and when you buy a $60,000 SUV which gets the same gas mileage as my truck which i use for work rolleyes.gif i get better gas mileage than new SUVs thanks to my distributer-less ignition (on a 82 f-250). so scram yuppie. tongue.gifthumbs_down.gifwave.gif