Special Thanks to Good Samaritans

scot'teryx

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK peeps, I have to say a thing or two.

First of all , talking about who did what at this juncture is totally wrong and inappropriate. Banning would not make me mad.

Second, Cobra insurance is really COBRA nsurance, and it's a federal law requiring employers to give you health insurance for 18 months after a layoff. The same insurance you had when you were employed, for 18 months. The deal is, you have to pay for it, and they can make you pay at a rate of 100% of what they were paying. That's typically what they do, but given the options, COBRA does not suck.

Third, a broken talus is SERIOUS business. Why do I say this? Because seven years ago I, broke my talus. Other stuff got broken, but for seven years I have had pain, EVERY DAY, because of this injury. They apparently did a pretty good job on mine, but my life is changed forever for this injury. FOREVER. If my talus tale is not enough, ask Stefan how is talus is doing. He broke his last summer, as part of a very nasty accident, and he has problems.

so, Scott,

do your friend the biggest favor yet, even bigger than getting his sorry carcass to the hospital this weekend, and get him to Harborview for another opinion on the future of his talus. They have the best surgeons in the state there, and a whole gol darn clinic for the foot and ankle, and ankle surgeons too, for another look. Even though he has already had some work done, he needs to limp as fast as possible to see one of the people at the Foot and Ankle Clinic. I'm serious.

Also if the doc says no weight bearing (typical for a talus) then no weight bearing. NONE. Not even a tiny bit. If I sound like a fanatic, well it's because I have lived through this.

Also if your friend needs to talk to someone who has lived through this, PM me. It's a major deal, not just the accident, but the talus thing too, and I will talk to him or whatever.

Godspeed to both of you. Sorry to hear you had a scary accident.

Looks like John is being released right now from the hospital.

I am not sure if he is gonna consider Harborview Alison, but thank you for your concern and suggestions. Dr Barker was his surgeon and his sub speciality was the ankle I guess, but I will let John know about your ideas for sure.

Sorry to here about your bro Scott!Hope his recovery is 100%

Because of negative spray awhile back I started my Dick head Avatar ,so I could sling the dung back.

I still post usefull beta by the real me .

Get an avatar and kick there ass Scott boxing_smiley.gif

Shit happens, accidents are just that , nothing you can say or do is going to change things.

Water under the bridge , piss in the wind, you can't take it back.

Soct-teryx - Tell your friend to call to activate his COBRA coverage immediately! He has up to 60 days from the time he was laid off to decide to take it and it is retroactive. So the accident will be covered as long as he starts his coverage. Even though COBRA is kinda expensive it will probably be a lot cheaper to pay the premiums for 6 months than to figure out how to pay for the hospital and surgeon bills.

Hope it all works out for him. bigdrink.gif

He will be healing in no time. Although my injury was not nearly as serious, I broke my talus bone while climbing in the Tumwater last year. 2 months later I was out climbing every weekend and still managed a few challenging climbs.

My injury wasn't any big deal. It could have happened on a flight of stairs. It just so happened that every event in that moment caused an accident. It is nice to see a managable injury rather than somone perishing. Heave you guys noticed that we have had a pretty good year compared to last year?

wave.gif

Edited by Crackbolter

CB, sounds like you were very fortunate. The talus is considered by some to be the "worst bone in the body to break." Two months after my accident I was still fully casted and non weight bearing, and I still didn't get a great result, though my current surgeons both agree that the original work wasn't done too shabbily.

Scott, as far as your friend goes, heck I'd get a second opinion on a broken talus no matter how special the doc was who originally looked at it. It's no skin off my nose if he's happy with the medical opinion he got, but I've had a lot of docs look at mine over the years and opinions can vary widely--as can results.

I will say that two of my friends declined to get second opinions on broken bones in the ankle area that they got from climbing accidents, and both are having some fairly persistent problems. Could they have been avoided? Hard to say, but it's a heck of a lot easier to fix it up now than later. The next major milestone with a damaged talus is a sub-talar fusion, in which the talus and the calc (heel) bone are fused together, and it's a very committing surgery with some future problems practically guaranteed.

i think i would rather break my talus bone(and not whine inccescently about it for the years to come) then break my back or neck or skull or even my ego for that matter!

part of being a fragile human. i betcha all accidents can be curbed. stay in bed!

rolleyes.gif

and bummer about your friend scott. shit happens and we all understand that before going out and climbing, that is why when someone takes a sport fall and hurts themself, 7 years later the whinning seems pointless!!!

wazzup.gif

Ursa_Eagle said:

It sounds to me like Allison has had the same issue (broken talus) that Scott's friend has, so she's trying to make sure that he doesn't make some of the mistakes that she made, and is trying to make sure that he does the things that she did right. Why are you harping on her, Erik?

rolleyes.gif

wave.gif

ERD=East Ridge Direct, Forbidden

This was the route I was planning to climb with Scot'teryx on the following Sunday before the accident.

I'd like to thank everyone who wishes me well and especially the climbers who participated in the 'extraction'. It's all a waiting game now, wondering how my bone will heal, how to get around, and how to pay the bills. I'd have to say I was put off by the initial posting since I tend to be somewhat a private person, thus my lack of postings on this bb. That said, I understand Scott to be the opposite, one who has a strong need for recognition and 'being heard'. Seems he gotten into a few pissing matches on this bb. I'm a believer in fighting your own fights especially since most arguments here seem to be really asinine. Well, I didn't want to bore all of you with this post. I do have one question though, what do you do as the belayer if the guy leading on the sharp end calls down that he wants to come down? Encourage him to climb harder and push him? Or bring him down? Tough call, eh? If he pulls through the difficult section then he'll be better for it, right? Not playing the blame game here as I realise that the call is very subjective.

BTW, if I recall correctly, the slope is nearly vertical where I popped. Where I landed it tended to be sloping, so it was similar to hitting a small ledge.

John Mefford

"Damn, I can't wait until I can climb again!"