Tell Ken Schram to eat a fat 8=D!!!!

jon

Sphinx said:

Well, phew, good thing that Ken Schram was talking about ALL BIKES ON THE ROAD. rolleyes.gif

I looked at his picture, read his rant, and got the impression that he was another frustrated, angry fatass.

Maybe he should eat a snaf.gif?

Edited by skykilo

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

trask said:

Dave_Schuldt said:

Yo Ken the_finger.gifHCL.gifthe_finger.gifHCL.gifthe_finger.gifHCL.gif

HE IS AND IDIOT, IGNORE HIM. I was thinking of writing a nasty letter, but said fuck it, it would just inflate his ego.

No, you're too stupid to write a coherent thought.

After reading Dave's post, I'd consider this more a thoughtful statement than a personal insult. Dave, there's a difference between 'an' and 'and'.

skykilo said:

Sphinx said:

Well, phew, good thing that Ken Schram was talking about ALL BIKES ON THE ROAD. rolleyes.gif

I looked at his picture, read his rant, and got the impression that he was another frustrated, angry fatass.

Maybe he should eat a snaf.gif?

Yes, but he makes some excellent points that aren't PC, which gets your panties in a bunch.

This doesn't have anything to do with being PC. It has to do with staying alive while getting around on a bike, w/o being subjected to ~$200 tickets and oblivious drivers.

I would also note it is difficult to get through that area safely and legally, apart from heading for the sidewalk, which is not legal and pisses off pedestrians. This is the best alternative though, since it sucks to piss off the bus drivers if they are there, as they are just doing their job and are for the most part cool.

Hey Ken,

So sorry that you feel the annual need to rant about cyclists, a major scourge in your eyes, no doubt. I'm sure it's really frustrating when you see us between lanes, riding faster than cross-town traffic, endangering really no one but ourselves.

Unfortunately, your rant is not based on any real statistics, just the astute observations you seem to be able to make from behind your windshield, from within your air-conditioned personal space. I have a little bit of advice for you... an ounce of tolerance goes a long way, both for your health, and the safety of others. Next time you cut off a cyclist (or even another CAR, yes they DO that to EACH OTHER even... and they don't get tickets for it....), and I'm sure at some point in your illustrious and privileged driving career you have, be glad nobody is chasing you down and running you off the road (as happens to cyclists even when we OBEY the rules).

I hope the boys and girls in Iraq appreciate your cynicism, because really you're the guy they're risking their lives for. Drive on.

Sincerely,

I think it would be hillarious if bikers obeyed exactly the same rules that drivers do. Imagine the joy that will well up in the average driver's heart when they get stuck behind a cyclist, behaving exactly as motorized vehicle would, occupies the middle of the lane when riding uphill.....

It only makes sense to behave like a car when you can move as fast as a car, which is on downhill stretches. Otherwise it's usually safer and more convenient for both bicyclists and motorists when cyclists to adapt their behavior to the conditions they encounter on the road.

The problem is this. Ken is making angry drivers angrier about cyclists. He is just making the situation worse. A mistake by a car results in a fender bender, you call your insurance and it's all good. If you are riding a bike and you are in an accident with a car, you can fucking die. There are a lot of people who see cyclists as obsicles and treat them like that, driving as close as they can at 45 mph. I'll be doing 30 in 25 and people will still try to pass me.

The thing is that the majority of people who break the rules are not cyclists, they're just riding a bike. While I've seen my fair share of "jersey boys" breaking the "rules", most of the offenders are people with not riding with a helmet let alone a brain. They don't ride everyday let alone really care about riding, it's just a way of getting around, like my friend from the Ave who almost ran me over

Fact is proportionally speaking there are way more bad drivers then cyclists and here is why. You can be a stupid driver, get drunk, crash into shit, and still be fine, in fact you can make a lot of money this way like one of my jackass friends is right now. When you are riding a bike on city streets you are about as vulnerable as you can get, so it make sense for you to ride as safely as you can. Some people still don't but most do. And as some people in Portland found out sometimes it doesn't matter, you could be doing everything right and still have some drunk run you and your friends over, end of story, end of life.

Oh yeah fuck you Trask. the_finger.gif

Sphinx the problem is that drivers don't differentiate between the two. I ride safely, and while I occassionally break a rule, I usually am looking out for myself and take into consideration when I'm holding up traffic or whatever. I still have people drive to close, honk and swear, try to drive me off the road.

When Ken typically rants it has little effect on people, it may inform them of certain issues or change their stance about an elected official or an initiative. He gives Tim Eyman a lit of shit but he really isn't threatening Tim's well being. So regardless of the impact of his statements nobody is really terribly effected. His rants about cyclist, and while I consider it pretty unlikely, has the potential for getting some drivers really fired up about this issue and taking matter in their own hands and/or showing more disregard. In this instance you aren't threatening someone's chance of being re-elected or whatever, you putting someone's life at more risk then it already is.

jon said:

Sphinx the problem is that drivers don't differentiate between the two. I ride safely, and while I occassionally break a rule, I usually am looking out for myself and take into consideration when I'm holding up traffic or whatever. I still have people drive to close, honk and swear, try to drive me off the road.

When Ken typically rants it has little effect on people, it may inform them of certain issues or change their stance about an elected official or an initiative. He gives Tim Eyman a lit of shit but he really isn't threatening Tim's well being. So regardless of the impact of his statements nobody is really terribly effected. His rants about cyclist, and while I consider it pretty unlikely, has the potential for getting some drivers really fired up about this issue and taking matter in their own hands and/or showing more disregard. In this instance you aren't threatening someone's chance of being re-elected or whatever, you putting someone's life at more risk then it already is.

I think you are taking this too far. I doubt that an article like that is going to put cyclists in greater danger than they would otherwise be in.

Jon you've been a tad cranky lately! But I do agree with you. i started riding mine for part of my commute on occasion. don't get me wrong, i'm not a daily cyclist but enough to appreciate your position. there have been situations when i was pretty convinced certain drivers went out of there way to make it difficult for me. we should foster a friendlier attitude overall towards cycling.

This is a letter some dude from the local mountain bike club wrote after I posted the link on the list serve

Ken,

They're still out there.

Still running sentences together; still scattering grammar to the

wind; still cutting phrases off in abrupt blurts; still ignoring the

laws

of common English.

Yep, those damn illiterate editorialists are still out there.

Do you write these things on the toilet? Do you have a laptop in your

car

that you use to pound out three-word phrases in-between traffic

lights? Or do? You talk? Like this? In real life?

It's quite enough that you subject the KOMO audience to idiotic rants

on

the most banal and trite of subjects (golly, I've never seen motorists

do

dangerous things when cops aren't around), but you go that extra mile

by

presenting them with the oratory skills of a two-year-old.

Jeez, it's not like I'm expecting New York Times Op-Ed here, but I'm

sure

you guys have a grammar book lying around there somewhere. Do you work

for Fisher Communications or Fisher Price?

Definitely not a fan,

Kelly

from Seattle