Tell Ken Schram to eat a fat 8=D!!!!

jon

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

iain said:

sphinx would you rather have crack dealers or bikers periodically biking in an empty bus lane in your neighborhood?

btw are you actually on crack?

You're comparing apples and oranges. Of course we don't want crack dealers on every street. But do you really think that keeping police from ticketing bikes is going to reduce drug dealing? It's a ridiculous argument. One more caveat: if they aren't going to ticked bicyclists to focus on crack dealers instead, they shouldn't ticket cars either. Why are bikes special?

I hesitate to continue since I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious, but...

How many people are biking out there in comparison to cars?

How many people have been killed by being run over by a bike?

How often do you see traffic congestion where it is stop and go bike traffic?

per capita, how likely is a car-related death versus other means?

Bikes and cars are not the same. If bikes are on the street, they need to obey the traffic laws if they want to act like a car, as most car drivers are totally oblivious to their presence. However, IF YOU ACTUALLY COMMUTED you would know that there are certain exceptions THAT WOULD BE REASONABLE to make for bikers WHO ARE TRYING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE and make the community A MORE LIVABLE PLACE.

And yes, police distracted on stupid bike infractions THAT CAUSE NO HARM TO ANYONE means less police attention to more important crime around the city.

Edited by iain

catbirdseat said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

...I'll say it again: (Sphinxter) you're an idiot

Bear-Bird, you are being redundant. The fact has been established already.

Catbirdseat, I'd agree that much of our collective spray is idiotic. However, I'm unsure how my arguments in this thread idiotic or ignorant. Saying "you're stupid" in response to a valid argument is a childish argument that serves no purpose other than making however made the statement appear foolish.

I think most of you are blinded by your overwhelming desire to be PC. Try to think logically, if only for a few seconds.

My argument still stands. Hold bicyclists accountable for their actions. If they are allowed to share the road with cars, they should follow the same laws, and they should get punished just as car drivers are when they break those laws. I fail to understand how this is idiotic.

iain said:

I hesitate to continue since I feel like I'm pointing out the obvious, but...

How many people are biking out there in comparison to cars?

How many people have been killed by being run over by a bike?

How often do you see traffic congestion where it is stop and go bike traffic?

per capita, how likely is a car-related death versus other means?

Bikes and cars are not the same. If bikes are on the street, they need to obey the traffic laws if they want to act like a car, as most car drivers are totally oblivious to their presence. However, IF YOU ACTUALLY COMMUTED you would know that there are certain exceptions THAT WOULD BE REASONABLE to make for bikers WHO ARE TRYING TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE and make the community A MORE LIVABLE PLACE.

And yes, police distracted on stupid bike infractions THAT CAUSE NO HARM TO ANYONE means less police attention to more important crime around the city.

Bikes running red lights or stop signs might not be much of a danger to anybody EXCEPT THEMSELVES. Yes, it's difficult to run someone over with a bike. BUT if a car hits a bike, the driver is always to blame, no matter what the rider of the bike did. Again, why the double standard? If someone is being dangerous, to others or to themselves, they should be held accountable. Period.

Oh, and what exceptions are you talking about? Running red lights and stopsigns? Cutting off motorists? How do these actions not cause harm to anyone? What if a car is forced to swerve due to a bike running a stop sign, and hits another car, or pedestrian? Did the bike really cause no harm by disobeying the law?

Sounds reasonable. But you still won't be able to run stop signs:

"Creates offense of improper entry into intersection where

traffic is controlled by stop sign. Punishes by maximum fine of

{ - $75 - } { + $300 + }.

Creates offense of improper entry into intersection where

traffic is controlled by flashing red signal. Punishes by maximum

fine of { - $75 - } { + $300 + }."

Besides, all is good and fine if you obey the law. Debating whether the laws should be changed is an entirely different argument. However, I reiterate that people should stay in accordance with the laws even if they disagree with them. If enough people disagree, the law will change, as you just demonstrated.

Having worked as a bike messenger and as a bike commuter for 20 years here's my observations:

1) There are limited idiots in cars who ignore biker safety.

2) Thre are limited idiot bikers who ignore all safety.

3) If you stick to the rules of the road drivers get pissed at you. If you bend the rules drivers get pissed at you.

4) If you're generally courterous and safe no one cares if you bend some of the rules.

5) It's the fat people in cars who get pissed the most.

Jim said:

Having worked as a bike messenger and as a bike commuter for 20 years here's my observations:

3) If you stick to the rules of the road drivers get pissed at you. If you bend the rules drivers get pissed at you.

4) If you're generally courterous and safe no one cares if you bend some of the rules.

AFTER ALOMOST 20 YEARS OF RIDING, 3 OF THEM AS A MESENGER IN SEATTLE, THESE OBSERVATIONS ARE RIGHT ON THE MONEY

Jim-I hear you on the drivers getting pissed at cyclists who strictly follow the rules of the road. I think the general concept is anger at anyone who retards their progress, no matter how slightly.

I always love observing people commuting in their luxury vehicles, in a traffic jam, with a big scowl. What's the point? Hurry up and get pissed, and run over a cyclist while you're at it.

Sphinx said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

what do you want the bikers to do? Not take a left on red, and sit at a stoplight for 10 minutes because the bike isn't big enough to trip the sensor? I agree that there are certain rules that bike should follow (and some bikers don't), but there are others that just don't apply.

So you're saying that it's OK for bikes to run red lights, and then when they get hit by a car, it's the driver's fault cause bikers can't be blamed?

Any cyclist will tell you it's the cyclist's fault. Even if they were the one hit.

Jim said:

Well, phew, good thing that Ken Schram was talking about ALL BIKES ON THE ROAD. rolleyes.gif