shaken not stirred?

forrest_m

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Take vodka and place in freezer.

2) Once cold, pour over ice cubes in cocktail shaker (one with spikes pointed inward under the cap.

3) SHAKE VIGOROUSLY! until ice is reduced to tiny shards

4) spash vermouth in bottom of glass, just enough to wet the bottom.

5) Strain vodka into glass.

6) Add olives.

Enjoy! fruit.gif

dru, i will stipulate that in terms of proportions, vodka may be substituted for gin.

i myself tend to lean towards the "whisper vermouth over the shaker" school, but i'm thinking about an "average" martini, i've read 5:1 (gin/vodka : vermouth), 7:2 and other, less easily measured proportions.

forrest_m said:

dru, i will stipulate that in terms of proportions, vodka may be substituted for gin.

but, gin has a flavour and vodka doesnt. therefore to obtain the same "flavour volume" it is necessary to use more vermouth with vodka!

Dru said:

but, gin has a flavour and vodka doesnt. therefore to obtain the same "flavour volume" it is necessary to use more vermouth with vodka!

what you are describing is the difference between a "gin martini" and a "vodka martini" - by definition, they have different "flavor volumes" (which is a techinical term that i believe you just invented). however, in terms of dryness, my understanding is that the proportions should be the same...

I agree with attitude, except that I shake in the vermouth. On proportions, I usually hold my thumb over the top of the vermouth bottle and let about 10 drops fall in. If you haven't tried tanqueray "10," definitely pick up a bottle, it's the shit. It's like gin concentrate.

One Bombay Sapphire Martini, extra dry, straight up, stirred, with a twist.

If your martini glass isn't chilled, you'll have to chill it quick. Let it stand filled with crushed ice and soda water while you prepare your martini. Here's a neat trick to see if your glass is really chilled enough: take a lemon strip that you prepared earlier, and twist one in the middle of an empty, chilled glass. If the lemon juice starts to creep up the sides of the glass, it's ready.

Put about 3-4 rocks in your mixer and pour in a dash of vermouth and swish it around. And since we're making an extra dry martini, cage the mixer with the strainer and pour out the excess vermouth.

Next, pour in 3 ounces of Sapphire. If you're not comfortable with speedpouring, use a jigger (pour in 2 jiggers full).

Now, very slowly and carefully stir the mixture around with a mixing spoon, being careful not to break the ice. Stir for about 30 seconds or until you feel the coldness freezing the outside of the shaker.

Cage your mixer and strain the concoction into your chilled martini glass. Drop in the lemon twist and sip away in blissful ecstasy.

bigdrink.gif - trask

frickin amateurs....

Gin - Bombay Sapphire - either store in the freezer or pour over ice and service in well chilled glasses. Storing in the freezer gives it a slightly stronger taste, try both to see which you like better.

Olives - here's where you make the different. It's hard to find really good martini olives. Almost any served in bars are bitter - critter turds. The best I've found are Armstrong Pimento Stuffed. Thriftway and Larry's usual carries the brand, but not always the Pimento Stuffed (don't be fooled by California Pimento Stuffed - yuck - must have got the receipt from the French ). Any of the favored one won't do either. Slight step down are Santa Barbara Pimento Stuffed - easier to find. Either way once opened, good no more than a month or two in the refrig. They get bitter and a little mushie.

Vermouth - used only to clean toilets.

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

offwidthclimber said:

if you don't use vermouth, why not alleviate the confusion and just ask the bartender for some cold gin with an olive.

oh... because that's not as 'sophisticated' as asking for a martini!

yellaf.gif

exactly, it's like the freakin veggie chili dog with bacon rolleyes.gif

russ said:

frickin amateurs....

Gin - Bombay Sapphire - either store in the freezer or pour over ice and service in well chilled glasses. Storing in the freezer gives it a slightly stronger taste, try both to see which you like better.

Olives - here's where you make the different. It's hard to find really good martini olives. Almost any served in bars are bitter - critter turds. The best I've found are Armstrong Pimento Stuffed. Thriftway and Larry's usual carries the brand, but not always the Pimento Stuffed (don't be fooled by California Pimento Stuffed - yuck - must have got the receipt from the French ). Any of the favored one won't do either. Slight step down are Santa Barbara Pimento Stuffed - easier to find. Either way once opened, good no more than a month or two in the refrig. They get bitter and a little mushie.

Vermouth - used only to clean toilets.

cool.gifcool.gifcool.gif

thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

fruit.giffruit.giffruit.giffruit.gif