Car prowlers--what do they carry?

marylou

About as much trouble as a car thief would have with anything else at a trailhead. They don't have much trouble with Kryptonite locks so I wouldn't hold out much hope for your cable. But then again, not too many theives will be stealing a cable.

Unless its real shiny.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, if it matters so much, I was wondering about the security of one of the Pacsafe bags. Sorry I don't have a link for you, my big box is in the shop and I'm plinking away on my laptop. Seriously, it wasn't a matter of withholding information. I'm not looking for a lot of information and I didn't want to focus on other issues surrounding TH security.

Rob, there's no need to get snarky with me. I was asking about the cable. You don'wanna answer the ? I asked, well....? Fine.

The company has a couple of small pieces that have that pacsafe weave integrated into fabric, them made into small lockable drawbag. Seems like it might be a good way to add another layer of security for those things you don't want to take with you-perhaps phone, faceplate, registration/insurance. Then discreetly lock it somewhere on or off your car. Might not be something I'd buy for myself, but I bet my mom would buy me one for Christmas if I really wanted one.

Ursa_Eagle said:

marylou said:

I give up. tongue.gif

well, you never did give us anymore information... what do the wires do? wrap around your car? protect something inside the car? are they somehow tied to a bedpost?

lets hope they are wired to her chastity belt... has anyone suggested titanium? hellno3d.gif

marylou said:

Ursa_Eagle said:

marylou said:

I give up. tongue.gif

well, you never did give us anymore information... what do the wires do? wrap around your car? protect something inside the car? are they somehow tied to a bedpost?

I was just wondering as to how much trouble people think a car prowler at a TH might have with 1/8 inch aircraft cable. That's all.

none.

marylou said:

Ok, if it matters so much, I was wondering about the security of one of the Pacsafe bags. Sorry I don't have a link for you, my big box is in the shop and I'm plinking away on my laptop. Seriously, it wasn't a matter of withholding information. I'm not looking for a lot of information and I didn't want to focus on other issues surrounding TH security.

even if they cant cut the cable, htey can snip the thinner wire all around the pack and yank it out...

Cables are not easy to cut through. I have worked with 3/8" aircraft cable like for a truck winch, and bolt cutters and hacksaws are very difficult to work with. The strands justs do not respond well to that kind of cutting. I have only been able to cut the cable using a cold chisel, hammer, against a hard block of steel. I don't know if this applies to thin 1/8 cable, but you could try it out.

1/8 aircraft cable isn't bad to cut. Most thieves don't carry the right stuff tho so it will slow them down a little. Any cable you cut can be tough if the strands are free to move. If you trap them with cable cutters or tape them up good and then cut through the tape it's not bad. I think it would work the first time then they may come back better equiped on a differant day.

I think a revisit to an old trick would be better. A quick trip to a thrift shop for some old rags, a laundry basket, and a pretty nice knap sack. Then the valuables go in the stinky old laundry, and what ever goes in the sack which you put a padlock on. Every time (so far) the laundry gets left alone and the jackers run off with a bag full of shit. evils3d.gif

can you say" have a great day"

I could say that...except for the time today when my bag of tools, complete with car keys and wallet....took a walk. madgo_ron.gif

Just wish I'd had left at least my wallet in my car so that they'd only gotten my tools and keys....and the brand new pair of Serengetis. madgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gifmadgo_ron.gif

On the topic, I think one of these little safe things would add an extra layer of security if it was properly hidden. It's not that wimpy, and in my experience, aircraft cable is a pain to cut with the wrong tool.

Steel cables, made out of aircraft grade or whatever... are hard to cut through just about anything... except for cable cutters. A long handled pair of them can cut through a pretty thick cable in a flash. The little lady's right... the thief would have to have cable cutters to get the job done.

I've seen the packsafes used before.... and felt they are a reasonable thing to use on a third world trip, where a pack in storage might be a little safer from the bellhops who work in the storage area. Or... used around packs in places where cutting the bottom of a pack is the thing to do. However... have also thought that putting a steel cable net around a pack or bag just advertises items of value inside--and increases one's vulnernability.

As far as using the cable system inside of a car at a trailhead, I'd go light, leave any BS stuff at home, and take the wallet, insurance slip, and phone with--and anything else of importance. Leave as little in the car as possible. The thief will either have the tools to get the job done if you have/use cables, a box or whatever, and if they don't... they might move on to another easier prowel. Or...if they have a little "quiet time," they might get pissed since they can't cut through the cable... and could be tempted to trash your vehicle. It happened to a friend of mine... they totalled his Bronko out by three fingers, and it had to be towed to the junk yard.

Sorrry you lost your goodies...and those glasses. Hard lessons to learn.

I'm convinced if you've got anyting of value... there is someone out there who wants it, and probably more than a few who've got the talent and brains to successfully take it from you. Get rid of anything you own, live like a bum, and you'll be more happy.

I recently got my cordless drill and toolbox stolen from my van. The drill is a $ loss, but luckily the toolbox was largely empty because I left all my tools strewn about my project. Sometimes messiness pays off!

And as far as tools, the theives didn't need much: this is the second time in the past year I've had stuff stolen out of my van and both times I accidently left my doors unlocked. cantfocus.gif I think my mistake was cleaning my van recently, which made the items of value more obvious.

I'm currently experimenting with a low-tech security solution: do not replace the (currently burnt out) fuse for the interior lights so it's super dark in the back of the van. Then pack the van with so much crap that a thief would need to spend hours searching through the mountains of junk in the dark to find something of value. Either that or they would have to rent a U-haul to try and take it all away!

I think this solution might have potential, as I know I'm never able to find anything of value back there when I'm pawing through it in the dark.

Anna said:

1/8 inch aircraft cable

What the fuck is this? I fly and work around aircraft all the time and I have never heard of this???!?!?!? Are you talking about grounding wires? Tiedown chains? Please explain...

1/8 Aircraft Cable is a differant jargon for 1/8" 1x19 plowsteel cable. I've never seen it used in aircraft but understand that it was used for control surface stuff once upon a time.