Ack! Santiam on Fire!

iain

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

update from a e-mail I got-

"I just off the phone with Jim Follis at Hoodoo.

At 1800 they have three cats working to open the firebreak behind the cabins, knock down trees near cabins, and remove brush from around cabins. According to Jim, the FS has placed a high priority to the cabins and to the Hoodoo area.

Jim also said the fire which burned in Sheep Springs yesterday and last night is slowly creeping toward Easy Rider chair. It is presently about 500 feet away from the top of the chair. One of the cats was going out the nordic trails to work on containing the spread toward ER."

What cabin # is your friends Dr. Flash?

not sure on the number, but it's one of the ones closer to the road. good news to hear, thanks for the update. I'm sure they're watching that stuff carefully. Will be strange to check that place out after this all dies down. Basically both burns sound like they are running wild at the moment with little containment.

steepconcrete said:

Hoodoo has 50,000 gallons of water stored for this. The new lodge is made out of carbon fiber with a latex roof. There is a little wood, but not much. It would be hard to burn it.

Dammit. Hoodoo is an eyesore. "We don't need no water let the motherfucker burn, burn motherfucker, burn!"

here is a update for ya Dr. Flash....

The Santiam cam is out, everything is sprayed with retardent, trees are cut and bulldozed away from the cabins. It is doubtful they will make it.

click on the picture page under the map.

http://www.nuggetnews.com/fire/welcome_fire.html

Pics of an nuked Potato Hill from noon today, one with flames 300' high.

Dude, don't get me wrong. I am very happy and glad that they gave the cabins so much effort. I was just thinking out loud about how much that must have cost.

The cabin next to my shed, #1 (the one in the foreground of the attachment in my prior post) , was the first one up there and is still owned by the lady who built it with her brother 60 some years ago. Dude, so much history, when people on the lift find out I have one I hear all kinds of storys come out of the woodwork. #13 (I think) is for sale, asking $99,000, so on second thought I guess they are worth a lot...

Up to a point, it costs just as much to build a fire line on one side of the houses as it does on the other side. So they may have had to work a little quicker to build it on the windward side, and may have had to put a few more resources into it, but the savings from building it 500 yards further downwind probably wouldn't have been huge.

Regardless, it's good to hear a few happy endings coming out of this fire season.

bigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gifbigdrink.gif to fire crews everywhere - you people rockband.gifthumbs_up.gif

I was up on the pass yesterday. From east of Lost lake to right before the hoodoo turnoff is pretty bad. Potato hill is ash. The summit is spotty. There are some green spots left, but if the fire got the roots, they're toast. Also, the area around Suttle Lake is completely burned out. The woods were still smoking yesterday afternoon in the rain, and still smoldering hotspots were visible from the road.

• 2 weeks later...

EUGENE, OREGON, September 18, 2003

Effective immediately, the following areas are once again accessible to the public:

Pamelia Limited Entry Area, (Pamelia Lake, Grizzly Peak, Hunts Cove, Coyote and Shale Lakes). Visitors will need a LEA permit;

Jefferson Park Area;

access to principle north and south climbing routes for Mt. Jefferson;

finally. rockband.gif

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/centraloregon/news/2003/09/030918willamette.shtml